View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah it does slow right down at around 7 to 8 months...They all really shoot up and do most there growing (height wise) between the time you first get them and 6 months, then like you say they when they stop growing bigger they will then start to fill out to reach their adult size.

Jackbox...I would say that some dogs do grow in a way that is bad for their bones on some foods, like they can get really bandy legs and bone problems etc and that is why you don't want them growing overly fast...I think that is why people do worry about this issue. But like you, although I'm no expert, I think little finn looks in good shape!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Think the problem is that if they are fed high protein, high growth food for too long they become too heavy for the growth plates to deal with and that will lead to problems later in life. High protein can also cause hyper activity that is also likely to cause possible damage to the growth plates.

Of course, all dogs are different but if those who have been in a breed a long while advice changing the food at a certain time they are probably correct. Must say the 2 of my Elks I fed on puppy till they were the age suggested on the manufactures packet both had Pano. And the 2 I took off at or before 6 months did not. That is too small a sample and only two of the dogs are old enough to have shown joint problems, and the have, it may have nothing to do with the early feeding but I will await the youngsters getting to the same stage to see if they have better joints for longer. Also may have no connection but my 2 youngest move much better than the older ones did at the same age.

My bitch was fed till about 9 months but is much smaller any way and has only just started to show signs of stiffening up and she is aproaching 12 years.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Good Lord Carole I hope Star and you have him under your thumbs he's going to be a big lad isn't he. Gorgeous but big
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I have alsways changed puppies from puppy food to adult food by the age of 6 months. although now my dogs are on a barf diet this can be difficult, but in the past I have changed. there is a tape called puppy puzzle that explaines how to assess puppies for showing (keeping the best out of a litter) the people that made this tape, have over many years assessed many thousands of puppies, and found that many puppies that have small skelatel(sp) problems ie toeing out, if the pup is changed over to a premium adult food, the problems sort themselves out, I would imagin the reason behind this is puppy food is higher in protien, etc for growth, and could be too much for some dogs to cope with hence the problems in growth spurts, puppies should grow at a slow steady pace for the body to adjust correctly.

Mo
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3