View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2010, 03:49 PM
This was my friends fb status the other day...

Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be
proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around. And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my throat!

I must admit, it did make me laugh
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
It is also my undertanding that the Pope was invited and the government/Queen said that they would meet costs involved.

I find religion very interesting but am by no means religious, in fact in my opinion it has caused (or been used as an excuse for) more conflict in the world than I care to imagine. I don't agree with all the money being spent on the Pope's visit either as I would rather see it being spent better elsewhere.

Although I must admit, suggesting that Catholics pay for the Pope's visit themselves is a bit harsh. What are the costs involved for - mainly security and protection I would guess. Why does he need security and protection?? Well, I doubt it is because of the Catholic community.

I would like to think that a visit from the Pope is not just for his religious followers, but also a bit of history and education for others too. Maybe if people were better educated on various religions (myself included) then perhaps people would be less judgemental of others and their views.

Would people have different opinions if it was Barack Obama or another high profile political leader being invited to visit cities accross the country?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
It is also my undertanding that the Pope was invited and the government/Queen said that they would meet costs involved.

I find religion very interesting but am by no means religious, in fact in my opinion it has caused (or been used as an excuse for) more conflict in the world than I care to imagine. I don't agree with all the money being spent on the Pope's visit either as I would rather see it being spent better elsewhere.

Although I must admit, suggesting that Catholics pay for the Pope's visit themselves is a bit harsh. What are the costs involved for - mainly security and protection I would guess. Why does he need security and protection?? Well, I doubt it is because of the Catholic community.

I would like to think that a visit from the Pope is not just for his religious followers, but also a bit of history and education for others too. Maybe if people were better educated on various religions (myself included) then perhaps people would be less judgemental of others and their views.

Would people have different opinions if it was Barack Obama or another high profile political leader being invited to visit cities accross the country?
That's even worse! And the taxpayer is still footing the bill for all this! £22 million I think the estimated cost is. Just ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, he and his cronies can p*ss of back to the Vatican. I don't want him here.

I don't want Barack Obama here either - or anyone else - and I certainly don't want my money paying for a visit from any of them.

I'm not interested in getting to know about it. To me, it's all outdated nonsense.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I didn't realise it was costing 22 million!! I find this hard to swallow considering all the public spending cuts and hardship people have to face these days!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I didn't realise it was costing 22 million!! I find this hard to swallow considering all the public spending cuts and hardship people have to face these days!
Exactly, as I said in my previous posts!

Wait and see, it'll likely be more than that in the end!
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
That's even worse! And the taxpayer is still footing the bill for all this! £22 million I think the estimated cost is. Just ridiculous.
I totally agree with you on that point - it is ridiculous that the government offered to fit the bill and more so that it is £22 million. And you are right - it will more than likely cost more by the end of it.
loobey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
22 million!!!!!!!!!!!! that is just awful with what the country is going through at the moment. i'm not at all religious and like so many others i don't want people on my doorstep trying to force me to listen to them, to the point where i have to be rude to get rid of them. live and let live, please
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm half tempted to go out and 'campaign' against religion. You would likely get arrested if you did that!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
That's even worse! And the taxpayer is still footing the bill for all this! £22 million I think the estimated cost is. Just ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, he and his cronies can p*ss of back to the Vatican. I don't want him here.

I don't want Barack Obama here either - or anyone else - and I certainly don't want my money paying for a visit from any of them.

I'm not interested in getting to know about it. To me, it's all outdated nonsense.
couldnt agree more
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2010, 07:50 PM
the arguement our state should pay for this papal visit because he is visiting our country by invitation of our heads of state to another head of state is correct.
vatican city is an independant country.
he is not visiting as head of church by invitation of the UK catholic church.

in which case, the answer is simple.
dont invite him as a head of state!
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »