Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Im sorry you have had a scuffle now

I know my advice is at odds from lots of peoples here, I have said it before but feel free to ignore if you want

I do not alow one dog to take toys off the other dog
A dog should be safe with their food and toys and not feel they have to protect them

Yes its possible the pup will learn a lesson and not do it again
But puppies can be really slow to learn and it means your poor older dog is having to escalate his warninghs and learnnig that fighting is the only way to keep toys

My friends dog now cannot be in the same room as another dog when she has a chew or a toy becuase she will launch a pre emptive strike

I think its fairer on both dogs if YOU set the rules and enforce them
Nope, I agree with you..

I think Roxy was in the wrong trying to take it and behaving very cheekily.
katie1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Katie's ok with toys but will be protective with chews otherwise she's really good with Keisha she will growl but has never tried to bite her most time Keisha backs down if she dos'nt i sometimes take the chews from both dogs then try to distract them.I think its since Sophie died as she was top dog now after 13yrs Katie is top dog i think Keisha's learing this let me no if you disagree
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Even if you hide all the toys, something else will happen where the pup winds Kaiser up and doesn't heed the warnings. She needs to learn exactly where the boundaries are and how to read doggy body language. Although it seems harsh, this is all part of learning process. Kaiser stopped when you intervened and didn't have a pop at you. He's doing a grand job under your watchful supervision! If she doesn't learn she will grow up not able to read the signs. If she is then outrageously rude to another dog as an adolescent she could get really told off and also hurt.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Even if you hide all the toys, something else will happen where the pup winds Kaiser up and doesn't heed the warnings. She needs to learn exactly where the boundaries are and how to read doggy body language. Although it seems harsh, this is all part of learning process. Kaiser stopped when you intervened and didn't have a pop at you. He's doing a grand job under your watchful supervision! If she doesn't learn she will grow up not able to read the signs. If she is then outrageously rude to another dog as an adolescent she could get really told off and also hurt.
Thanks Maxine. I think I'm shielding her a little too much!
Time for me to back off and let Kaiser deal with her.

Funny, cos when she's grabbing at my dressing gound and pulling it, I call him over to make her stop!

maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
Thanks Maxine. I think I'm shielding her a little too much!
Time for me to back off and let Kaiser deal with her.

Funny, cos when she's grabbing at my dressing gound and pulling it, I call him over to make her stop!

I know it looks horrible when they lose their rag like that, but if he meant to hurt her he would have done. At some stage you will want to leave them alone and you will need to know that everybody understands the rules, especially the pup.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I know it looks horrible when they lose their rag like that, but if he meant to hurt her he would have done. At some stage you will want to leave them alone and you will need to know that everybody understands the rules, especially the pup.

Yes, it was really nasty to hear and see! But I was told it sounds worse then it is!

Roxy was screaming and I mean screaming. I've never heard a dog scream before!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, it was really nasty to hear and see! But I was told it sounds worse then it is!

Roxy was screaming and I mean screaming. I've never heard a dog scream before!
My GSP has decked my Springer, Dusty a few times. It always looks and sounds horrible but Dusty had to learn the hard way about bite inhibition. He screamed too but Ollie never hurt him. He came to us as an 18 month old rescue who thought it was OK to bite hard when playing. Now he knows that he can charge Ollie off his feet and knock the ball out of his mouth, but not to bite too hard.

Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh look at them playing. Beautiful!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh look at them playing. Beautiful!

It is lovely to watch but they had to agree the rules at an early stage...

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey guys,

Things are fabulous with my new puppy (OTEBD) and my GSD.

He adores her. Clambering over his head, playing all day long. He lets her get away with so much.

Every so often when they play with toys, he'll become possessive.
He'll put it on the floor, and she'll try and get it. Very sneakily mind. He'll show his teeth and she keeps pushing and testing to see how far she can go.

Should I allow him to tell her off. I normally just go over, stroke him and then take it away.
I know I start to panic and try to prevent her being told off!!

Am I being over protective trying to stop something that's quite natural?!

Definitely not stroke him - by doing that, you are reinforcing his "possessive" behaviour - which is entirely natural in any case. If he is the well-balanced dog I think he is, he will not hurt your little girl - if she steps out of line, he will firmly put her in her place, and you must allow him to do so. To give you a real example, we have 2 very large Malamute crosses, one entire male, one castrated, with an entire male chihuahua. The little man really tries it on, especially with my entire Mal cross. A couple of times he has ... literally ... disappeared inside Tai's mouth, to the accompaniment of loud but muffled shrieks from the little man! It is just a warning, Tai is a well balanced dog and is only trying to teach Gucci some respect and to not take the water ! He just pins Gucci for a few seconds and then releases him, wet but completely unharmed, and Gucci is very very respectful until the next time!

If you trust your GSD, then just leave them be, this is totally natural behaviour and by interfering you could actually do more harm than good, through misguided but very well-intentioned actions!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >