Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by tedsui View Post
Okay folks, thanx very much for all your advice and suggestions. I have just turned down the offer of the gas collar, because having read each and everyone of your postings I realise that is not an option and could be ultimately a deterrent to her returning to me. I have decided on a whistle training regime, and have started this indoors, a short whistle and then she gets a treat. When I let her off last week, for the first time in 3 weeks, I had been taking treats out with me but she didn't take them from me when outside, altho she will indoors. She is extremely ball orientated and also adores her squeaky toys, so I will be getting a ball-thrower so I can concentrate on play when I let her off in the future. I know nothing of her history except her previous owners lost their home and had to go into temporary accommodation where they weren't allowed dogs (terrible shame as there were children involved and everytime she hears children's voices she perks up almost as if she is expecting them to turn up). I was told also that she hates cats, but then so do I, so that's not a problem. I will keep you updated as to how she progresses but I will not let her off again until I'm happy that she will return to me.
Well done on going the whistle route. Doesn't matter what rewards you use - food, toy, game - as long as the dog finds it rewarding.

Good luck
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Why would you be interesting enough to call a high drive dog off actual prey. After all thats the most interesting thing in the world.
Re take it slow. Dogs aren't dumb, they;re very smart. If the training is good they will learn very quickly.

Adam
Adam... for heavens sake.... we know dogs are very smart.. that's why we do not believe they need to be hurt in order to learn.... they can learn just fine using humane methods....

now you need to learn the same!!!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Why would you be interesting enough to call a high drive dog off actual prey. After all thats the most interesting thing in the world.
Re take it slow. Dogs aren't dumb, they;re very smart. If the training is good they will learn very quickly.

Adam
Loads of people manage without using shock collars or any punishments at all
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:37 AM
With any aversive you start on the lead so the dog makes the right choice (return to you).

Feeling bad about using a spray or e collar is fine, but it won't help your dog if you can't train her and she has to remain on lead for ages/life. I suggest you give the whistle training a go and if it doesn't get results in a month try my suggestions.

Adam
Or NOT use these suggestions would be my opinion, I have 4 BC's all out without leads, recall would never of been as good using Adam's methods......OH yes they would ''they'd fear me......great suggestion

Adam
My dogs already know they are smart, pity people are not so smart
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Adam, I must admit to using aversive techniques when I first started seriously training my dog over 2 years ago....I got results.

I then noticed two things...all the people at the dog club who use aversive techniques have agressive dogs and all the people I trained working trials with who were the most successful used positive reward.

So, I switched to positive reward. The difference in my Dog- and me - is remarkable, i.e. positive reward isdelivering better results than aversive techniques.

There was a suggestion earlier in the post that if the positive reward didn't work try your punishment techniques...I would throw the challenge bak at you -try positive reward for a couple of Months and be honest with yourself about how you feel doing it.

Back to the OP question - you have to make coming back to you the best thing in the world, when your dog comes back lots of play like its the best thing that ever happened in its life.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by davdags View Post
or a nice piece of chocolate.

NOOOOO you must NEVER EVER give dogs chocolate you will kill it!

http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/chocolate.shtml
Originally Posted by davdags View Post
i would not like to be that dog, some want to frighten it, some want to electrocute it, some want to starve it, others want to gas it and now someone wants to poison it

No wonder it won't come back
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I don't think Jackbox meant that the owner should literally give the dog a piece of chocolate as a reward for recalling More like a sort of metaphor for something nice. For a human, chocolate. For a dog, a bit of chicken or a squeaky toy.

Glad most of you got the meaning of the chocolate davdags, re-read my post
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer

Adam
Shame the owners that come to you , are not as smart as their dogs
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Adam
If you condition a dog to chase something other than prey, it more often than not, will do so.

I have done this with my dog with high predatory chase drive. She will recall off running deer, for her kong I put in lots of work but it all paid off. I originally taught the exercise as a Leave it in fact, not recall.

So yes it is possible.

Wys
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't know what I am doing wrong but two posts seem to have disappeared, so if this repeating myself - my apologies.

The reason training is done slowly and gradually, Adam, is to give the dog the chance to succeed at every stage and to give him a solid foundation on which to go onto greater things. All too often people try to rush the basics only to find that things fall apart when they try to build on them.

Training with aversives (fear training) is not necessary, or kind. Novice owners often don't understand learning theory and so get sucked into believing that aversive training is the best way to go. I believe that Instructors/trainers have a responsiblity to teach owners correctly and in a way that is humane to their dogs.

Chase recall - calling a dog off of 'prey' - can be taught using reward based methods. It takes time and patience but if trained properly can be 100% successful. I agree with the previous poster - it is a form of 'leave it' (if this has been taught properly - basic foundations are good - it can be transferred to prey). So a combination of a good recall, reliable leave it and dog paying attention to owner = succesful chase recall.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
As I say I've trained lots of dogs with reward based approach;'s but I realise that many dogs will benifit from the increased speed and reliablity of training that results when you mix in rewards and aversives.

Adam
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »