View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Hes built like a racehorse, and i can see his last 2 ribs, I get it.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok, here is what an Affen is supposed to look like, not at all fat!!! But definitely cobby...

Here is my skinny boy...

And not such a good angle but here is Enzo for comparison...

Both of them...

Even lying down it is clear that despite being a year younger Enzo is much more 'solid' than Goz.

Hope that helps clarify, and just to say; I'm a mother, I worry, it's my job.

J.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi J I agree with Emma when she says...

I have always found the way to put a little muscle on is to feed small frequent meals of good quality food.

Raw food contains good quality protein and feeding it seems an excellent way to build muscle. If you don't want to do the whole making up a raw diet thing maybe consider one of the new raw diets like Darlings or Natural Instinct , dogs seem to love raw food

http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/

It is quite expensive but with a small dog like Gozo the cost it shouldn't be too bad.

Chloe is on a mainly raw diet and has never looked better
Thanks Mini, I've been meaning to try him on Darlings, I like how they personalise the food, but I feel guilty because I can't afford it for all 3 of them! I know, how silly am I???

I did try 3 smaller meals with no success.

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
My boy has only just got to 37kg and he will be 4 in october, weight range for boys in his breed is between 35 and 45kgs i believe.

I think he could still do with another kg or 2. I drove myself mad trying to get weight on him, but he has never had a big appetite. hes part european blood and am told that some european lines take longer to mature.

Which food are you feeding him btw?
At the moment he gets one raw meal and one kibble (Burns or Arden Grange as the more processed ones turn Pepper into a dog with ADHD!) same as the other 2, but it's always very hit and miss how much of either he eats. More likely to eat raw, but not always.

J.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
A marked difference!

What are the rest of his litter like in comparison? (parents compared to enzos that sort of thing?)

A late developer perhaps? (i can relate ) Looking at his legs (am thinking from a horse perspective?) he looks like he has less bone than enzo so will be lighter build to start with.

Although there are some 'schools' of thought that complete food content doesnt make much difference but i would find something with the best type of protein as previously mentioned (eg named meat meal over non meat protein, good fats etc). I tried bionic biotic at one point as a food supplement cant say i saw any weight improvement but others have good results with it. Its supposed to increase nutrient absorption.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
A marked difference!

What are the rest of his litter like in comparison? (parents compared to enzos that sort of thing?)

His sister is a real little porker! Although his brother is slight he's not as skinny. His Sire was a US import who has produced a few that are on the smaller side.

A late developer perhaps? (i can relate ) Looking at his legs (am thinking from a horse perspective?) he looks like he has less bone than enzo so will be lighter build to start with.

I agree about the bone, to be honest he is built like a long distance runner, he can certainly walk me off my feet! Fingers crossed he's just a late bloomer

Although there are some 'schools' of thought that complete food content doesnt make much difference but i would find something with the best type of protein as previously mentioned (eg named meat meal over non meat protein, good fats etc). I tried bionic biotic at one point as a food supplement cant say i saw any weight improvement but others have good results with it. Its supposed to increase nutrient absorption.
Interesting, thanks, I think I'll try Darlings and if I have no luck with that give the bionic biotic a go....

I just worry that if he were to get ill he has nothing to fall back on otherwise he's a healthy, active little chap, so maybe I just need to take a chill pill!

Thanks for the help,

J.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi J
Originally Posted by Donkemonkey
I agree DM, looking at the photographs (it is difficult to tell from photographs but look at the one with them both laying down ), Gozo appears to have finer bones and is 'slighter' but he still looks healthy with a shiny coat.

Some 'bouncy' dogs always 'on the go' can have a problem putting weight on and building muscle but body up as they mature
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Right guys, I have just placed an order with Darlings but even for a little chap like Gozo it was expensive! But if it works it will be worth it, I'll keep you all posted.

J.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
About time, http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...2999413/Counci l-seizes-5-stone-dog-for-being-too-fat.html
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
About time, http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...2999413/Counci l-seizes-5-stone-dog-for-being-too-fat.html
Dear Labman,

1. Your link doesn't work, try this...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...g-too-fat.html

2. Sad as that case is, it is irrelevant to this thread.

3. PLEASE WILL YOU GET OFF MY THREAD AND GO START YOUR OWN ABOUT THE DANGERS OF OBESITY IN DOGS!!! (Which we all heartily acknowledge and support!!!)

I apologise to everyone else for shouting but the only conclusion I can draw from his complete lack of understanding is that he is deaf!

J.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi J,

I have a friend with bichons who are extremely finicky eaters at times.

She uses the Royal Canin mini sensible if she wants to get a bit more weight on them.

Kate
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >