View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Wouldnt recommend it. If a dog skids to a halt they can burn the skin off their feet, its been done often.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Beware of static shock too.
It builds up on artificial turf.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My neighbour hoovers her fake turf!!!!

It looks really good
, she has 4 dogs... Apparently it was quite expensive, £10 a square metre, but worth every penny she says.
I bet it does if she hoovers it!

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't hoover my house---I sure as hell aren't going to hoover a garden!!

rune
Me neither - glad I'm not the only one!

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I screamed with laughter out the window the first time i saw her doing it!! With all 4 dogs chasing the hoover round too
Well of course they chased it. It's a big noisy monster eating their new grass!

I did think about it a lot last year as part of my lawn has all but disappeared into the realms of mud and dirt. What's left of it is overgrown with nettles, shrubs and bushes that should have been removed entirely by the guys who put up the secure fencing last year.

My dogs do have a tendency to go tearing up and down the garden at a million mph. Zane in particular has no brakes and that's after they've been to the park. I didn't know they can buil dup static. Surely there are products now (assuming the manufacturers are aware) that can reduce it?

I'm seriously considering slabbing the whole lot when Oscar is a bit older. I like to have a bit of grass for whenOscar goes flying over the top of his trampoline, or uses his swings to such an extent he ends up in orbit! (Lads - who'd have 'em!).

My dogs at the moment only toilet in the one area on the patio. They were trained to go where the old greenhouse used to be. I got rid of it because Oscar was only 2 years old when I bought the house and I couldn't have an unsafe, rickety, old, glass greenhouse on an area he may run about on. So the greenhouse went (approx. 8ft square) and that's where they go to the toilet (the dogs I mean, not Oscar - although given the chance.................. )

When the dogs have calmed down somewhat (although it doesn't make much difference where they're concerned) and when Oscar is a little older, the whole lot will be tiled - both the patio area I have now, going down onto the lawned area. I've found this tobe cheaper than the quotes I had last year for the artificial grass and those are tiles that are being imported from Spain.

Laura xx
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2010, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I don't know about burning paws and static shock. The area we covered was 4m x 4m, not big enough to charge around and Molly is a plodder rather than a racer! The stuff we had laid has been tested by the FA for use on football pitches. It had to withstand 18,000 hours of use, studded boots etc., and still look good. There is a higher quality, but that would just be over the top. I am probably wrong here, but with all the diving and falling down dead that goes on during a football match, would footballers legs and arms not be friction burnt too? Anyway, for us, it is not a problem.
For 4m x 4m, additional draining channel, all the work done, it cost us £1000. A lot of money to be honest, but, for us, worth every penny
We used primalawn. If you www it, there is a website, and would highly recommend!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Anyone watch Bigbrother? Did you see the massive friction burn sunshine got from being dragged on the artificial grass?

I wouldn't risk my dogs paws on something like that!, then again my garden is just a slabbed area with gravel borders. Look's boring but it's easy to clean up after the dogs. I would love a pretty looking garden but in this house it's inpractical and the dogs needs have to come to first.
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Sorry - my dogs needs come first too.

Molly was trained to go on grass and will not perform on slabs.

Molly was desperate in winter, when poor drainage meant her wading through mud to pee.

Mollys needs meant us paying out to give her what she needed - if we did not have her, we would have put a garden pond in that area.

You may not like artificial grass, but I can assure you a pretty looking garden, regardless of dogs needs was not my aim.

No, I don't watch Big Brother.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Ours is being fitted this weekend and can't wait or rather should say we are fitting ours once I got the hang of using a wacker plate to compress the sand underneath!

With regards to friction burns, the grass we are using is safe for children and pets without hurting themself, and for the price we are paying, it should be!

p.s. I don't watch big brother either (got real friends!)
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm with Mollybobs on this, it is tested for pet use and does cost an arm and a leg, but in my opinion it will be money well spent, and the dogs have noticed no difference to grass, plus it looks lovely. OH and I are not in the first flush of youth either so it saves us a lot of work. We used AS Good As Grass, and can recommend them the installers were excellent.
Kazer, I'm sure you won't be sorry.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3