Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
Let's not tar and feather the entire fancy on one hypothetical discussion about breeding age of young male dogs.

I agree that breeding a 9 mos male dog is often foolhardy, and too young. What is the rush? These days with frozen semen, a male can be available essentially forever.
According to the poster it is "fact" not hypothetical

Not everyone follows the rules.................
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
According to the poster it is "fact" not hypothetical

Not everyone follows the rules.................
It is absolutely a fact that not everyone follows the rule. This is true throughout humanity and anything we do. Yep, there are some unsavory character/breeders/exhibitors/handlers/trainers.

IMO they are a small minority. In my experience most people who have dogs dearly love them and care for them as best they can.

rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I see a lot of people in ESS using a stud dog by the time they're 9 months old. Am I the only person to think this is wrong? . . . .

Indeed, I don't know why there isn't tbh?

It's not unusual in Springers sadly (don't know about any other breeds?), it just seems people are in such a rush and with the breed not realistically maturing til 18 months old I can't see it being good for them tbh.
Hmm - if some ESS breeders are doing it - there is more than a likely chance that other breeds are being misused in this way too..
Not unusual in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels either even with the established heart protocol recommendation (started 10 years ago) that Cavaliers not be bred until 2 1/2 years. The latest BRS shows a 9 month old dog mated to a 14 month old bitch and a quick look back at many top pedigrees shows dogs used younger than a year.

I think the breed clubs should sit up and take notice and advise their members of the correct ethical procedures - you know as well as I, people will do their own thing anyway but at least this way it is down in black and white somewhere.
I agree.

Ruby
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I tend to find the same old splurge on websites these days "Bred For Type And Temperament". Well that's great, but what about health? What about bettering the breed? I guess I'm just very disheartened by ESS show people these days. I know someone in the breed who has had TWO litters back to back (out of different dogs) and they've never bred a litter before! One of the bitches was mated at 18 months old, nothing wrong with that acording to the KC, but am I the only one who thinks this is unfair to the dog?????
Yes alot of people rave on and on about tempermant and type, when health is just as important as the two, its a crying shame breeders cant or wont see that.

18months might be a little to young for a bitch of a large/medium breed..but i would have to say imo its not to young for a bitch of a toy breed, who by that age are MOSTLY fully grown, mature, tests are all done ect..not all as we have to remember each dog is different.!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
It is absolutely a fact that not everyone follows the rule. This is true throughout humanity and anything we do. Yep, there are some unsavory character/breeders/exhibitors/handlers/trainers.

IMO they are a small minority. In my experience most people who have dogs dearly love them and care for them as best they can.

Hmm, think you & i might be on the same wave length after all - lol

Saw rottie yesterday that i thought was a youngster, at first but it was full grown. Tiny not much bigger than a small lab. Completely in proportions. Well bred rott. Periodically small Boxers crop up (katie is on) never thought of it occurring in other breeds.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:37 PM
When I was showing the average age for a Stud dog was 18 months and over depending on breed, could be older. Im amazed someone is using a 9 month old puppy.
I came across this in my chosen breed in the past. I could only put it down to either ignorance, greed £££ or both.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Ummm , I agree with the first paragraph but when it comes to the minority being decent etc to their dogs, I am not so sure how low that minority is. I think there are more dogs out there that are not cared for properly then we realise, but it depends on what standards they are being compared to.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I always thought there was a minimum age for a stud dog but much to my suprise the other week at a show someone tells me how her puppy who is 9 months (8 months old when she told me) has just fathered a litter of 3 or 4 pups!! I was so shocked it was allowed.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Looking at how dogs are maturing around here depending on the breed I would say 2 is too young even

Many of the male dogs are changing such a lot up until the age of about 4 that you really dont know about the temprament till then

Also even if you health check you are not able to check for everything - you should be breeding for a healthy LONG life

If you are breeding a dog at a year old by the time he is 10 their could be 10 generations of pups behind him - then you find he has a condition that means he dosent live into old age
Their are hundereds of pups sired by him who are now lowering the average longevity of the breed

If he is from a great healthy breeding why not freeze some sperm when he is about 2 and then see how he REALLY turns out
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I always thought there was a minimum age for a stud dog but much to my suprise the other week at a show someone tells me how her puppy who is 9 months (8 months old when she told me) has just fathered a litter of 3 or 4 pups!! I was so shocked it was allowed.

As far as I know no minimum age , bu breeds clubs will have guidelines and a code of ethics.

I think most reputable breeders will see the cut of point at 12 mths.. (thats not to say they will then use him straight away) but thats the age some health tests can only be done from..untill health tests are done, one would not use at stud.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Looking at how dogs are maturing around here depending on the breed I would say 2 is too young even

Many of the male dogs are changing such a lot up until the age of about 4 that you really dont know about the temperament till then

Also even if you health check you are not able to check for everything - you should be breeding for a healthy LONG life

If you are breeding a dog at a year old by the time he is 10 their could be 10 generations of pups behind him - then you find he has a condition that means he dosent live into old ageTheir are hundreds of pups sired by him who are now lowering the average longevity of the breed

If he is from a great healthy breeding why not freeze some sperm when he is about 2 and then see how he REALLY turns out
That could happen at any age of a stud dogs life, what if all tests had been done, he had a good bill of health, was not used till maturity and health /temperament proven... then after siring litters at the age of 5/6/7 /8 he developed a condition that was not previously picked up????

A breeder can be responsible and do as much as they can to ensure they are producing healthy pups, but even the best of them dont possess second sight
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >