View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I suppose i'm very lucky in the fact that one of the vet nurses at my vets has Aura's litter sister, the sister is kibble fed and really struggles to put weight on, she's underweight and her skin is flaky.
So when I go in with Aura and they see her condition even the vet says that the raw meat diet suits her, so I never get the lecture about feeding .
But if I did get a lecture i'd just let it go in one ear and out the other.
You know your dogs better than anyone, you know what food suits them and what they are happy on, and if you and the dogs are happy thats all that matters
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I have been told sternly that a dry diet it adequate and better for his teeth and to cut out the wet stuff.
Maxine next time you go to the vets tell the vet nurse that you understand dogs unlike humans do not produce digestive enzymes in their saliva to help the body to digest food, many dogs don't even chew their food . Therefore dogs rarely get tooth decay but they do get tartar building up on the teeth when eating many foods including all kinds of processed foods wet or dry.

Dogs who have to chew or tear their food are more likely to have good teeth and no tartar so giving a dogs something to chew rather than just to eat is the best way to keep the teeth clean .
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I suppose i'm very lucky in the fact that one of the vet nurses at my vets has Aura's litter sister, the sister is kibble fed and really struggles to put weight on, she's underweight and her skin is flaky.
So when I go in with Aura and they see her condition even the vet says that the raw meat diet suits her, so I never get the lecture about feeding .
But if I did get a lecture i'd just let it go in one ear and out the other.
You know your dogs better than anyone, you know what food suits them and what they are happy on, and if you and the dogs are happy thats all that matters

You are sooooooooo right!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Tilly is 8 now and on a recent health check the vet said
"her teeth are perfect you wouldn't think she was 8 years old what is her diet" I said for the past 4 years BARF, she just rolled her eyes at me

Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Stupid Nurse .

Harley is the same, doesn't like dry kibble/biscuits however we got this great sample of a new dog food and he loved it.

Its biscuits which has actual meat chunks in (dried) and then you can add some warm water to give it a gravy. Harley absolutly loves it and now has it as his regular food. We will also give him a treat every now and again of a lovely dog wet food.

The same brand also does many more and it included ones that you had water to to give a gravy only it doesn't have the real meat chunks in.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say who it is? so delete this line if needed. Its Burgess Supadog Beef Casserole. Its new and its the sample Harley had. This is the one with the meat chunks in and u can add a little hot water if you like to give a gravy.

Good on you for keeping his food up the way it is, he sounds happy and healthy and its not like your feeding him anything bad.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Maxine next time you go to the vets tell the vet nurse that you understand dogs unlike humans do not produce digestive enzymes in their saliva to help the body to digest food, many dogs don't even chew their food . Therefore dogs rarely get tooth decay but they do get tartar building up on the teeth when eating many foods including all kinds of processed foods wet or dry.

Dogs who have to chew or tear their food are more likely to have good teeth and no tartar so giving a dogs something to chew rather than just to eat is the best way to keep the teeth clean .

Thanks Mini. You would think they would know that.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
Tilly is 8 now and on a recent health check the vet said
"her teeth are perfect you wouldn't think she was 8 years old what is her diet" I said for the past 4 years BARF, she just rolled her eyes at me

We are heading that way too, I just need to sort out some storage as my chest freezer is full of our stuff!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Harley & Me View Post
Stupid Nurse .

Harley is the same, doesn't like dry kibble/biscuits however we got this great sample of a new dog food and he loved it.

Its biscuits which has actual meat chunks in (dried) and then you can add some warm water to give it a gravy. Harley absolutly loves it and now has it as his regular food. We will also give him a treat every now and again of a lovely dog wet food.

The same brand also does many more and it included ones that you had water to to give a gravy only it doesn't have the real meat chunks in.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say who it is? so delete this line if needed. Its Burgess Supadog Beef Casserole. Its new and its the sample Harley had. This is the one with the meat chunks in and u can add a little hot water if you like to give a gravy.

Good on you for keeping his food up the way it is, he sounds happy and healthy and its not like your feeding him anything bad.
Well Harley sound like a very contented little chap too!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:16 PM
When I adopted Willow she'd lived at the vets for about a month. There she was fed Pedigree tinned foods. The nurse said I could just keep her on that or if I wanted to change her over to something else to do it gradually.

Thankfully they don't try to give the hard sell on the stuff they have on sale there.

Anytime I'm asked about the dogs diet at the vets they are happy with what I'm feeding (raw) and ask a few questions about it because they are interested. I'm always told the dogs look fantastic on it.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
When I adopted Willow she'd lived at the vets for about a month. There she was fed Pedigree tinned foods. The nurse said I could just keep her on that or if I wanted to change her over to something else to do it gradually.

Thankfully they don't try to give the hard sell on the stuff they have on sale there.

Anytime I'm asked about the dogs diet at the vets they are happy with what I'm feeding (raw) and ask a few questions about it because they are interested. I'm always told the dogs look fantastic on it.

It sounds like you have a very sensible vet. I think mine are generally ok it was just this particular nurse who felt the need to give me a dressing down.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »