Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thats like jake, although he is a very dominant dog... but not in the slightest bit aggressive.
Bet they would love to play together, pity we are not living closer
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Bet they would love to play together, pity we are not living closer
i bet they would jake wants to play with every dog, even the ones trying to bite his head off, he has no sense thats why i cant let him off lead unless there are no dogs around or only dogs i know...
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Same as they do with us ;- Beware, don`t mess with me.

Not all dogs raise their hackles, or perhaps we cannot see them with long haired breeds, although THEY too must have the same emotional features but do not show the same as short haired breeds.

It is a STANDBY feature when an animal is uncertain of the opposition or problem causing concern. When my dogs met other dogs they liked for some reason, their tails wagged.

If the stranger gave uneasy vibes, then up went their hackles even though at times the tail also wagged.

This means an offer of friendship, but shows a readiness for combat if needed. Same with us, but we have no obvious external indications to convey the message.

Probably a good point in humans, since it is advantageous in taking surprise action if needed.

John Bull
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Jessie's hackles on her shoulders always go up when she greets another dog, her tail goes up as well but she's never aggressive, just playful.

I always interpreted it as a cautionary measure and an attempt to look bigger, just in case the other dog was thinking about causing trouble.

Flynn's very rarely go up, only if it's something he doesnt like the look of at all, like a man acting strange or out of place.

I cant tell with Jed as his hair is too long.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Bonnie's hackles,tail and ears go up when she meets another dog. if she on lead she will bark.

once the meet and greet has happened she will play and the normal relaxed body will return.

i dont see this as aggression, just excitement/arousal.
miller
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it can be aggression or excitement. My GSD's hackles are up when she is chasing a ball I've thrown, but they don't come up when I hide said ball and get her to find it, even though she may still be running around. The first one is obviously "prey".
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3