View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hazel pritchard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I wish the vacine had been about years ago ,so i would not have had cervical cancer and then years later watch my daughter go through all the tests when it looked like she also had it,
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Some really useful posts here and thanks for the personal note Hazel,It tends to help us put it into perspective.

The decision ,for now, has been put on hold for me as the school has decided to withdraw/or the health service is postphoning. She is not in school today so will get more details tomorrow on her return.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by hazel pritchard View Post
I wish the vacine had been about years ago ,so i would not have had cervical cancer and then years later watch my daughter go through all the tests when it looked like she also had it,
100% agree with this. HPV is rife, and even the most sensible kids are at risk. It's no good putting it off until you think your kids are of an age to have sex - the majority of kids will think they're ready sooner than their parents will!

I am really sorry for the family and friends of this poor girl. Unfortunately, adverse reactions occur with any type of medical treatment. People die from reactions to a single paracetamol: rare, but perhaps not more so than this incident. Incidentally, the batch that was used has now been withdrawn, pending investigation.

As for waiting for further testing: if we waited for complete knowledge of all possible side-effects in every subject for the rest of their lives, we'd still be in the testing phases of the polio vaccine, the TB vaccine and every other life-saving vaccine. We will never be able to foresee every possible outcome.

It's predicted that this vaccine will knock out 70% of cervical cancer cases. I think you have to imagine how it would feel for one of these girls to be diagnosed with cervical cancer, in 20 years time, having made the decision not to have the vaccine.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 06:48 PM
My daughter has completed all 3 parts of the vaccine with no more than a sore arm after the first injection.
I must admit this sort of news would make me think if she were about to have it, but if its down to an allergic reaction then I think we shouldn't let it stop us getting our girls covered as it will be extremely rare and I am sure you are more likely to die of cervical cancer than die from the vaccine.
It will be no good in years to come all those parents wishing they hadn't stopped thier daughters having the vaccine if they get cervical cancer. It will be too late.
Very very sad for the 14yr old and her parents, but more youngsters have died in road accidents than of this vaccine in the last year and we can't keep them shut away from roads can we.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
My daughter has completed all 3 parts of the vaccine with no more than a sore arm after the first injection.
I must admit this sort of news would make me think if she were about to have it, but if its down to an allergic reaction then I think we shouldn't let it stop us getting our girls covered as it will be extremely rare and I am sure you are more likely to die of cervical cancer than die from the vaccine.
It will be no good in years to come all those parents wishing they hadn't stopped thier daughters having the vaccine if they get cervical cancer. It will be too late.
Very very sad for the 14yr old and her parents, but more youngsters have died in road accidents than of this vaccine in the last year and we can't keep them shut away from roads can we.
IF it prevents those deaths and doesn't cause long term health problems. Those are the questions yet to be answered; in the PIL, they state, "Although vaccination may protect you against cervical cancer, it is not a substitute for regular cervical screening. You should continue to follow your doctor’s advice on cervical smear/Pap test (test to screen for changes in cells of the cervix caused by an HPV infection) and preventative and protective measures."

I disagree with you in that I cannot imagine ever wishing my daughter had had this vaccine.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
That is an interesting point, would you also let her pierce,tatoo,donate organs etc? I understand your point but also wonder about parental obligation and responsibility.

Both my girls ( 14 and 16 ) have their ears peirced, one wants their eyebrow peirced, one wants things in the ear lobes that stretches the skin.... Both are already commenting on tatoo's they both want....

Both have been told that tattoo's are permanent, and hurt like hell to have done, and as for peircings, they can have what they like done to their own bodies once they turn 18 and dont need parental consent.

I feel i'm being responsonsible in asking my girls to wait untill they are at least 18 before they have peircings or tattoo's, but once they turn 18, they are adults, and can do what they want to there own bodies.

My daughters reasoning when asked why she didnt want the jab was... " its new, its not been tested on enough people, what if in a few years time that it does more harm than its meant to save?

I am NOT stopping my daughter from being vaccinated, I am respecting her wishes and NOT forcing her to have it against her wishes.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Both my girls ( 14 and 16 ) have their ears peirced, one wants their eyebrow peirced, one wants things in the ear lobes that stretches the skin.... Both are already commenting on tatoo's they both want....

Both have been told that tattoo's are permanent, and hurt like hell to have done, and as for peircings, they can have what they like done to their own bodies once they turn 18 and dont need parental consent.

I feel i'm being responsonsible in asking my girls to wait untill they are at least 18 before they have peircings or tattoo's, but once they turn 18, they are adults, and can do what they want to there own bodies.

My daughters reasoning when asked why she didnt want the jab was... " its new, its not been tested on enough people, what if in a few years time that it does more harm than its meant to save?

I am NOT stopping my daughter from being vaccinated, I am respecting her wishes and NOT forcing her to have it against her wishes.

Bugzy i was not suggesting you were stopping her from being vaccinated or indeed forcing her,I was just replying to your post with a philosophical question.

I have no idea what my answer would be to my daughter if that was her opinion. I thought you raised an interesting point.

It was interesting to read in all the information that came from the school that the child's wish to have the jab could be taken as a legal requirement if the parental permission form had not been returned. It would be ibteresting to know how they stood if the child did not wish it and the parent had returned the form.

Parental responsibility and obligation of care to minors is a whole new topic of conversation.
hazel pritchard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I have just heard on the news that the PM on the girl who died showed she had other health issues that caused her death,i really feel for her parents and her family,no one expects to lose their child,
As i said in an earlier post i have had this cancer and it meant a big change in my life, i hope this vacine goes a long way to stop anyone suffering this awful cancer.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
100% agree with this. HPV is rife, and even the most sensible kids are at risk. It's no good putting it off until you think your kids are of an age to have sex - the majority of kids will think they're ready sooner than their parents will!

I am really sorry for the family and friends of this poor girl. Unfortunately, adverse reactions occur with any type of medical treatment. People die from reactions to a single paracetamol: rare, but perhaps not more so than this incident. Incidentally, the batch that was used has now been withdrawn, pending investigation.

As for waiting for further testing: if we waited for complete knowledge of all possible side-effects in every subject for the rest of their lives, we'd still be in the testing phases of the polio vaccine, the TB vaccine and every other life-saving vaccine. We will never be able to foresee every possible outcome.

It's predicted that this vaccine will knock out 70% of cervical cancer cases. I think you have to imagine how it would feel for one of these girls to be diagnosed with cervical cancer, in 20 years time, having made the decision not to have the vaccine.
I don't think anyone is expecting to know all the possible side effect or reactions, it is a new vaccine and we don't know what long term effects it has, yes it is good that if it works as predicted that they reduce cervical cancer by 70%. A few unanswered questions remain unanswered as they have rushed the approval through and now it is wait and see. I am concerned of what its effect is on the youth's future in terms of reproduction and fetal effects.
I think it is going to also have an negative point to it, just as the pill had when it first came out. They think they are safe from everything and there are so many other things to things that can be fatal, in those beliefs. It is not a silver bullet that will cure all and that is my point. It will not save everyone from cervical cancer, it will reduce the risk of cervical cancer caused by 4 main HPV strains. Most people I know are calling it a cervical cancer vaccine it is not it is HPV vaccine of the four main strains that can lead to cervical cancer.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Hmmmm, can the cynic in me suggest that it's very unlikely they will admit if the poor girl died as a result of the vaccine. It would cause an uproar and panic amongst those who had already had the vaccine.

It's so coincidental.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >