View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jonesy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2009, 11:52 AM
hi hope you dont mind my question but have her seasons been every 6 months , my gsd bitch was every 6 months until she turned 4 then they changed to between 4 and 5 months also her mood changed and not for the better she got really grumpy and possesive,we had to wait and let her have a season and then spay her after 2 months (i know it should be 3) but her times were changing all the time. After
a few months she went back to what was normal for her.
DoggieDelight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Hiya,

her seasons have always been 6 monthly.

I dropped her off this morning at vets and she was checked over and the vet said there were no sign of injury or illness.

I discussed at length with her about her behaviour and she said spaying is well known to calm some dogs down. So hopefully should help. If it doesnt then I will look at a behaviour expert.

I phoned at 2pm and nurse said she had come round abit and had had a bit of water, she said the op went smoothly and I can pick her up at 5pm.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by DoggieDelight View Post
Hiya,

her seasons have always been 6 monthly.

I dropped her off this morning at vets and she was checked over and the vet said there were no sign of injury or illness.

I discussed at length with her about her behaviour and she said spaying is well known to calm some dogs down. So hopefully should help. If it doesnt then I will look at a behaviour expert.

I phoned at 2pm and nurse said she had come round abit and had had a bit of water, she said the op went smoothly and I can pick her up at 5pm.
I doubt the fact that she was entire was what was responsible for her sudden aggression. After all, you said she is 4 years old and has presumably had numerous seasons already.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Spaying did anything but calm my girly down!
colliewogs
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I did have a similar problem with my young Border Collie.
I changed the ball for a rope toy and her behaviour changed.

You say that she obessed with a ball so I would take a toy on a walk that she is not so possesive with and see if that helps.
I also have a Jack Russel at my training classes that is mad about tennis balls.We make sure that no one plays with them at training.The problem is that tennis balls all look the same and dogs don't understand that it is not their ball!

Give it a try with a different toy that is not a ball and let us know if it works.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Spaying changes the hormone levels. It increases the percentage of testosterone to oestrogen so the bitch may become more aggressive or confident, particularly if she already has a hormone imbalance. With a stable bitch with a good temperament this doesn`t make much difference as she can channel any bolshie urges into play etc., but a snappy bitch or one who is a little in-yer-face may get worse.
Any vet who blithely trots out old wives tales as medical science should be avoided like the plague IMO.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Spaying changes the hormone levels. It increases the percentage of testosterone to oestrogen so the bitch may become more aggressive or confident, particularly if she already has a hormone imbalance. With a stable bitch with a good temperament this doesn`t make much difference as she can channel any bolshie urges into play etc., but a snappy bitch or one who is a little in-yer-face may get worse.
Any vet who blithely trots out old wives tales as medical science should be avoided like the plague IMO.
Tango went the other way...it didn't calm her down..infact thinking on, it was after she was spayed she became worse behaviour wise.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3