View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2009, 04:38 PM
ATD - do you mean actual greens (i.e. collard greens) or things such as lettuce?

Fruit isn't necessary for Vitimin C - fruit should just be a treat once a week (at the most). Green peppers are really the best source for Vit C. Also if you have a decent pellet based food (e.g. Supa Excell) then that too will play a significant part in making sure your pigs get sufficient vit C.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
ATD - do you mean actual greens (i.e. collard greens) or things such as lettuce?

Fruit isn't necessary for Vitimin C - fruit should just be a treat once a week (at the most). Green peppers are really the best source for Vit C. Also if you have a decent pellet based food (e.g. Supa Excell) then that too will play a significant part in making sure your pigs get sufficient vit C.
not lettuce but carrots brocoli etc.

even excel isnt a complete diet if you read it you have to give additional foods to insure they get enough vit c i cont remeber what happens if they dont get enough will try and find out thou
ATD x
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Ah yes thats what I meant. Sorry, definiatly didnt mean feed one or the other haha.

Pellet Food + Correct vegetables = Sufficient Vit C.

I just mean without the pellet food you really do have to get the veggie diet 100%, the pellet food just reinforces it - if that makes sense.

Scurvey usually happens without enough Vitimin C.

ETA: Ah yeah, I thought you meant Collard Greens which shouldnt be fed every day - likewise with carrots (unless baby) and brocolli (shouldnt really be fed too often).
But lettuce is fine every day!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
fresh greens everyday, unlike rabbits guines need fruit n veg (vit C)
you can get covers that go over the hutch from P@H all my guines n bunnys have been kept out over the years.
get a cover for you bottle there is nothing worse than frozen bottles.
ATD x
Thanks i didnt know about a bottle cover i will get one at weekend.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice i have certainley learnt alot and glad i posted the thread, you have all been really helpfull and im sure when i get my guinea pigs next week they will have a happy home.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice i have certainley learnt alot and glad i posted the thread, you have all been really helpfull and im sure when i get my guinea pigs next week they will have a happy home.

Don't forget the pics, I love to see piggies
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3