Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
hard one and a topic close to home

sam hd a stroke.... she had a £1500 scan which we paid upfrount and got back months later....she was only 9 - anyhow - months of physio etc later she still wasnt right - she could have been operated on - but tbh w would have been doing that for us.......she was pts later that day when we were told our final options -and i do not regret that decision for a minute

i also had a horse (ok not a dog but its still relevent) we spent in excess of £10,000... (yes.. ten thousand pounds) on a massive injury on his leg.... 2 years later he waasnt getting better and i was just waiting for him to do seomthing else and be put to sleep as i couldnt afford anymore - i was ruined financially and emotionally - he was put to sleep last summer - and i still havent got my finances back on track....... (there were other reasons for putting him to sleep but money was a big factor in this)

we all love our animals - but my reasoning in particular with my horse for putting him to sleep was that - animals have no concept of tomorow - its only our conscience and us that do...... put yourself in their shoes - if you dont think they would want to be here.... if you do then look at your finances - that may be the deciding factor over anything....

we now are facing the same with our eldest dog... thats 3 animals in a year we stand to loose....all of them mean so much to me... but always do whats right by them - and dont listen to anyone trying to talk you out of it

xx
Suze Thank you so much for posting this. We are currently in the same position with my old girl and she is my heart dog. She has had a couple of strokes now and is on steroids, the vets have said she can have an MRI but they feel it is a brain tumour or lesion and that if that proves to be the case there is nothing really they can do – possible op but doubtful, possible chemo again no guaranteed out come. The vet who knows her best has said she may not be a good candidate for MRI as she is such a stressful dog, its almost impossible to take her blood pressure as she gets so stressed out just getting to the vets, she gets stressed if we go off her normal walk. Today is not a good day for her she is so very wobbly and Im constantly watching her in case she falls. Fortunately because of my health Im on half days so can be with her more during the day but it’s a constant worry and stressful trying to think what best to do for her.

Thank you again I think you’ve helped me see that the one who might persuade me to not do the right thing is me for me not for my beautiful girl who deserved so much more out of life than she was given. I wish you well with your old one may they both find peace.

Hammer my thoughts are with you and I hope that you do not have to make any decision for a long long time, enjoy the time you have with Benson. The money thing may sort itself out but if all the money in the world is not going to help its no use to anyone.,
xx
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Again, thank you everyone.

The way I've been thinking about this is that eventually, everything dies...humans, animals, insects, everything.

So, if it is true that dogs live just for the moment, enjoying life for what it is as it happens, with no concept of, or ability to plan for the future...I find that a massive comfort.

To put Benson through a painful and extremely stressful spinal operation is not going to benefit him at all as he goes through the experience. All he'll know is that everything is strange, that he's in pain, that he's scared and depressed. He'll have no concept of the fact he will eventually recover (hopefully), all he'll know is that he's not a happy dog anymore.

Now if my reasoning is correct (and pull me up if what I've said is wrong), it will make the whole operation or not decision very simple for me. Benson had a rubbish first two years of life, but his last two (and however many more) have been, and will be extremely enjoyable for him. When life stops being fun, either because he needs a major operation or for whatever reason, I know I will be strong enough to let him go in the knowledge his life was worth living.

And when I've finished mourning him, it's back to the rescue centres looking for Boxer number three...and away we go again.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi,

Hammer you're absolutely spot on. If you know for sure that ANY animal is unhappy and doesn't want to be here then under certain circumstances it's in their best interests to let them go. We've all had to make these decisions with out animals and it's heartbreaking for us all - but I'm absolutely sure that when I've had to have my prevous animals (mostly dogs) PTS, they've been grateful for the rest and the peace. I don't regret doing it at all as I did it for them. If I had kept them alive any longer, then it would have been for me and would be totally selfish.

It's illegal in this COuntry to help a person to die (and rightly so - how many elderly relatives would die every year beauswe families couldn't be bothered with them?!) But when it comes to making decisions about having dogs PTS, I think to a certain extent we treat them better than we treat people.

Good luck with Benson and good luck to everyone else going through something similar. I'm very lucky in that my dog are still very young and hopefully have many years ahead of them before I end up having to make such decisions.

Benson will trust you to do what's right for him and therefore you can know in your heart that ANY decision you make for him will be the right one.

Laura xx
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

The way I've been thinking about this is that eventually, everything dies...humans, animals, insects, everything.

So, if it is true that dogs live just for the moment, enjoying life for what it is as it happens, with no concept of, or ability to plan for the future...I find that a massive comfort.

To put Benson through a painful and extremely stressful spinal operation is not going to benefit him at all as he goes through the experience. All he'll know is that everything is strange, that he's in pain, that he's scared and depressed. He'll have no concept of the fact he will eventually recover (hopefully), all he'll know is that he's not a happy dog anymore.

Now if my reasoning is correct (and pull me up if what I've said is wrong), it will make the whole operation or not decision very simple for me. Benson had a rubbish first two years of life, but his last two (and however many more) have been, and will be extremely enjoyable for him. When life stops being fun, either because he needs a major operation or for whatever reason, I know I will be strong enough to let him go in the knowledge his life was worth living.

And when I've finished mourning him, it's back to the rescue centres looking for Boxer number three...and away we go again.
Hammer I think thats why I found Suze's post so - comforting? in a way. My angel does not do well at all with strange places, people etc a long trip to have an MRI is not for her - the stress would be too much. She has had what I hope is a good life with us and to draw it out for my benefit is not fair on her at all, so I am desperately trying to be strong here - she sees the vet tonight.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:13 PM
How far would you go with treating your dog that has a long-term medical condition that will never get better? I know nearly everybody would say ‘as much as it takes’, but in reality is that always possible?

As stated in a previous post, my Boxer, Benson, has a degenerative condition in his spine. He has two vertebrate at the base of his neck that have fused together and two more vertebrate near his tail that rub together.

Since discovering the condition some months ago, we have had a dozen x-rays taken, been to the vets loads of times, tried all sorts of medicine (now settled on PLT & Synoquin), just tried acupuncture, changed his diet to extremely expensive food, purchased a magnetic collar, purchased an infra red bed…the list goes on and on.

The vet now wants him to go for an MRI scan so that they can determine whether he may need surgery on his spine some time in the future.

I’m a school caretaker, I do not earn vast sums of money. Currently, every single penny I have spare is being spent on my dog. He is insured with Direct Line, but they are being very slow in repaying me and are challenging some of the treatments. I’ve also spoken to a friend who works in insurance, and she thinks Direct Line will not allow me to renew my policy when it runs out in August. Even if they do, she thinks the premium will be ridiculously high, or there will be clause stating they will not insure his back.

So far I have spent £1,100 on Benson’s condition and to date have received £320 back from Direct Line. In August I will be on my own, with the prospect of an MRI scan and possible surgery looming, not to mention the money I’ll be spending on drugs, treatments etc.

At what point do you say enough? I love him to bits, but what if the money dries up? My parents have offered me money, as have a couple of friends, plus I’m considering taking out a personal loan just for his treatment. You wouldn’t believe what a strain on a marriage this can be. My wife and I just fight and argue about the dog everyday.

If I put him through surgery, would I be doing that for me or for him? Would it be a greater act of loyalty to let him go instead of putting through all that? Or maybe he could just live his life quietly at home, plodding around the garden and school grounds like he is currently? Surgery on the spine doesn’t sound very nice if you ask me.

I guess this is the risk you take when you adopt a rescue dog with no known history.

With a medical condition which will not get any better I believe in keeping the dog comfortable and happy for as long as possible . I would not keep having more and more tests done I don't see the point . I am lucky in that I have a vet who agrees with this and would not even suggest more and more tests where there is no cure .
Don't feel bad if you decide to call a halt to all this there are many other people who would take the same view
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Hammer I totally agree with all you have said.
7 years ago we decided to let our boy go he had cancer we put him on pallative steroids instead of going down the chemo route it wouldn't of cured him, he was fine with the vets and all the pulling about and was insured but we knew we would lose him it just came sooner rather than later. I miss him terribly even now but know what we did was best for him.
Ollie has a limp he is the opposite hates the vet and like Benson loves his home and his Family, to put him through tests and away from home would do him no good what so ever, so he is having the aloe vera drink every morning on a strict diet and he dictates his exercise he is happy playful and loving and while he is that way we are happy too. We would not have issues with the expense but would not put him through stress if things were not going to improve, quality of life over quantity is my personal belief.
Hopefully Benson will have a lot longer than you are thinking but you love him and that shows and you will do what is best for him as only you can do you know your dog and his limitations.
All the best.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 06:19 PM
VERY close to home, although not due to a degenerative disease, but old age.

Poor old Roxy (13) is failing pretty fast. So much is wrong (half blind, mostly deaf, arthritic, senile, has Cushings) and now her back legs are failing her and her incontinence is worse.

I'm seeing the vet next week, and we need to have a serious talk about my old Duchess's quality of life

Hope things improve, or you come to a decision.......

x0x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 07:04 PM

I agree with this, it was the thought process we went through last year when our Springer had a major arthritic episode and could no longer do his "Springer stuff". For him, a life confined to the house while the other dogs went out without him would have been hell.

Good luck with Benson, he's lucky to have found an owner like you.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3