Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:49 PM
No way!
Yes way, sadly. I think I actually laughed at the time because it was so preposterous.

Funnily enough people often think it's OK for their dogs to snap at a large breed dog coz apparently they can take it.
Yeah, I notice that. Behaving aggressively is ok though, because they are little dogs. One woman near me walks FIVE Shih Tzu's (she is one those numpty owners who dresses the dogs in little coats and diamond collars) and lets them off on a little patch of greenway right near the road. If we happen to walk past they all came charging over barking and yapping and snapping at my dog while she screams (presumably at my dog, on a lead) "OOOOOH, DON'T HURT MY DOGS!!". I mean seriously, WTF? my dog is trying is best to ignore the nasty little yappers while hers try and attack mine, and she thinks my dog will hurt hers?
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2009, 05:09 PM
What did you say back to her?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 05:31 PM
What did you say back to her?
Me? I see this woman frequently. If she has her dogs on lead, I just give her the evil eye as we walk past (they go NUTS on lead). If we run into her in that particular situation, I tell her under no uncertain terms to recall her dogs and "put them on a bloody lead!". Those exact words.

Of course they have no recall and I have to stand there while attempts to hold all five by the collar and/or put some back on their sparkley diamond leads.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2009, 08:01 PM
hey guys, i just got beat up here for a remark about dogs on leads and other dogs who appoch,in my 30 years of training dogs, it is often for me to see two dogs looking to duel while 1 is on a lead,and the other is not...TENTION or one can make the other ..on edge..its a fact and iv have seen the difference when i droped the lead ..its simple ...no tention ,and two dogs have better chance at a succesfull meeting..if you are tense..wo is the dog ..in alot of cases iv work......it happens ..i never let two dog meet on lead ..if you are not willing then your dof and mine will not meet its that simple for me..iv got dogos an i have to be on my game when meeting another dog .i cant aford to have my dog rip another apart,if all goes wrong .. i try to do all things possible for my pack to be social ,in the right enviournment .......so, some dogs DO NOT like leads,because of the tention they feel when they are meeting a new dog,and im my experience is an aggresive dog that does not like leads..........proven facts......respectfully...phil and no im not a pro ,but they do call me.......
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hey guys, i just got beat up here for a remark about dogs on leads and other dogs who appoch,in my 30 years of training dogs, it is often for me to see two dogs looking to duel while 1 is on a lead,and the other is not...TENTION or one can make the other ..on edge..its a fact and iv have seen the difference when i droped the lead ..its simple ...no tention ,and two dogs have better chance at a succesfull meeting..if you are tense..wo is the dog ..in alot of cases iv work......it happens ..i never let two dog meet on lead ..if you are not willing then your dof and mine will not meet its that simple for me..iv got dogos an i have to be on my game when meeting another dog .i cant aford to have my dog rip another apart,if all goes wrong .. i try to do all things possible for my pack to be social ,in the right enviournment .......so, some dogs DO NOT like leads,because of the tention they feel when they are meeting a new dog,and im my experience is an aggresive dog that does not like leads..........proven facts......respectfully...phil and no im not a pro ,but they do call me.......

The highlighted is true..but your first post insinuated that the dog was attacked because it was on the lead.. giving the impression that all dogs on leads where the cause of them being attacked ..

When in fact as you know , all dogs will be different..and react to different situations... some get tense on the lead some dont.,some will get aggressive eon lead , some dont.

Others will pick on dogs on leads, some wont.

All different reactions from all individual dogs.

I have a dog aggressive dog, she strains on the lead when she sees another dog.. do I let her off to ease the situation, or do I act responsibly and ask the other owner whoss dog is picking up her bad vibes and returning the favour of aggressive mode.. to move on.

And is it her fault if the off lead dog attacks her!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 08:23 PM
when i droped the lead ..its simple ...no tention ,and two dogs have better chance at a succesfull meeting..if you are tense..wo is the dog ..in alot of cases iv work......it happens ..i never let two dog meet on lead ..if you are not willing then your dof and mine will not meet its that simple for me..iv got dogos an i have to be on my game when meeting another dog .i cant aford to have my dog rip another apart,if all goes wrong .
Why should anyone have to drop their dogs lead? the dog is on a lead for a reason. The OP had her dog on a lead and from the sounds of it, the owner of the out of control/aggressive dog had plenty of time to react. It isn't the OP's responsibility to drop her dogs lead so an off lead dog doesn't attack her dog. A dog that responds aggressively to dogs on leads for whatever reason should NOT be allowed to approach them!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2009, 08:34 PM
they have a BETTER chance .....the first thing most will do is yell at the situation ..creating stress,tention and lots of bad vibes , remaining calm ,helps .and there are lots of senarieos,as we all know.if your dog is not on a lead i will drop mine ...and let the dogs work it out ,if it goes bad ,it had nothing to do with you ..are you willing to let dogs be dogs ?....situational for me as im sure it is for most.....respectfully...phil........
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why should anyone have to drop their dogs lead? the dog is on a lead for a reason. The OP had her dog on a lead and from the sounds of it, the owner of the out of control/aggressive dog had plenty of time to react. It isn't the OP's responsibility to drop her dogs lead so an off lead dog doesn't attack her dog. A dog that responds aggressively to dogs on leads for whatever reason should NOT be allowed to approach them!

Spot on Labradork! And my dog wont do recall. I can't drop the lead.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 08:52 PM
they have a BETTER chance .....the first thing most will do is yell at the situation ..creating stress,tention and lots of bad vibes , remaining calm ,helps .and there are lots of senarieos,as we all know.if your dog is not on a lead i will drop mine ...and let the dogs work it out ,if it goes bad ,it had nothing to do with you ..are you willing to let dogs be dogs ?....situational for me as im sure it is for most.....respectfully...phil........
What you are saying I'm sure is true. Movement on lead is restricted, can lead to tension, etc.

But at least the point I am making is that the owner of the dog that is on a lead should not be made to drop the lead, because their dog isn't the one that is out of control.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2009, 09:29 PM
yes ..i agree,but in some cases you may be better off and so might your dog,and if everyone had there dogs on lead there would not be as many fights,because they simply ,did not meet ....well this has been a good thread for me and ii do enjoy your posts....any closing thoughts? im feeling iv hijacked this thread......ooops and sorry..phil
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >