View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm glad you've been able to come to a decision about a way forward. I bet it's a load off your mind.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I say this as I lost two dogs to auto immune disease very young
I am so sorry that you lost your dogs madmare. You must have been heartbroken. Especially as you were trying to protect them by vaccinating.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm glad you've been able to come to a decision about a way forward. I bet it's a load off your mind.
Yes thanks. I do feel a lot clearer about what I need to do. Sometimes it is so difficult to make a decision but it helps to know what other people think.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I suspect the posters on this thread are too close-minded and are a lost cause.

BUT

1. Vaccines are safe, all of them.

2 Data repeatedly posted here suggests a 1 year efficacy for lepto - I have repeatedly asked those who disagree to post evidence. It gets remarkably quiet at that point.

3 MMR vaccine - any GP who recommends it is not required is potientially negligent. There have been outbreaks of measles in the UK and Germany. 2 have died as a result.

4. The whole anti vacc hype in both humans and dogs started as a result of A Wakefields study suggesting that MMR was linked to iBD and Autism. It turns out that:

1. A Wakefield had the patent on a single measles vaccine. He needed to discredit the MMR vaccine

2. The data on which he based this study was faked. Not just wrong but rewritten to support a predefined conclusion.

3. The data from studies trying to support or refute this link has brought one interesting fact to light. MMR is protective against Autoimmune disorders.

Thats it the whole antivacc movement is akin to a religion and has no basis in fact at the moment. A wakefield and his followers in the human field and the veterinary field have blood on their hands as they have directly lead to the deaths of people and dogs as due to lack of vaccination.

If you think this rant is OOT - tough. Your advice on this thread is potientially fatal for both humans and animals
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
And I'm sure you made an informed decision - glad to hear you also had an informed GP too. As with dog vaccinations it is a very difficult choice but one that I feel is a personal one.

It is really difficult to decide on a vaccine schedule for dogs. Here is a letter for you to read for information - it was signed by a number of UK vets and sent to the Veterinary Times.

http://www.britfeld.com/vaccine-uk-vets.htm
Thanks for this link. Very informative. This is something I keep wondering about, do I or don't I ......
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I am not against vaccinations - as I dont think the majority of people on here are
I have the puppy vacs done

I am against overvaccination
and I have yet to see a study that says the vaccines need boosted EVERY year

all studies I have seen have indicated that dogs are protected for far longer than 3 years, and in many cases for the life of the dog

I therefore feel it the safest for my dog to CHECK his need for vaccination using titer testing at 3-4 years of age, and if he needed it I would then get him vaccinated

I am not on any religious bandwaggon here, I have read the studies and can see no reason at all for a annual vaccination

That is my decision based on the evidence I have read

and it was based on some of that evidence that most vets have moved from annual vaccinations to 3 or 5 yearly vaccinations
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
If you think this rant is OOT - tough. Your advice on this thread is potientially fatal for both humans and animals
How come? Surely the point of vaccinating is to give immunity. And if I find my dog has immunity then why would I vaccinate again?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:48 PM
3 MMR vaccine - any GP who recommends it is not required is potientially negligent.
My GP did not say it was not required. He gave me information on which I based my decision. It was my child and my choice.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I suspect the posters on this thread are too close-minded and are a lost cause.

BUT

1. Vaccines are safe, all of them.

2 Data repeatedly posted here suggests a 1 year efficacy for lepto - I have repeatedly asked those who disagree to post evidence. It gets remarkably quiet at that point.

3 MMR vaccine - any GP who recommends it is not required is potientially negligent. There have been outbreaks of measles in the UK and Germany. 2 have died as a result.

4. The whole anti vacc hype in both humans and dogs started as a result of A Wakefields study suggesting that MMR was linked to iBD and Autism. It turns out that:

1. A Wakefield had the patent on a single measles vaccine. He needed to discredit the MMR vaccine

2. The data on which he based this study was faked. Not just wrong but rewritten to support a predefined conclusion.

3. The data from studies trying to support or refute this link has brought one interesting fact to light. MMR is protective against Autoimmune disorders.

Thats it the whole antivacc movement is akin to a religion and has no basis in fact at the moment. A wakefield and his followers in the human field and the veterinary field have blood on their hands as they have directly lead to the deaths of people and dogs as due to lack of vaccination.

I am not close minded at all and if a dog needs a vaccination because its immunity levels are low and there are no health reasons to suggest otherwise then I would highly reccomend it gets done. people who don't vaccinate and who don't titre test either are in my opinion fool hardy and are then playing with thier dogs lives which yes I will admit to doing many many years ago.
The two dogs I lost are the only two I had boostered each year without fail and after losing them I wanted to research it all thouroughly which i did and spoke to many vets over the internet and face to face which is when i discovered titre testing. I didn't want another dog I owned to ever suffer like those two did while we were trying to save them.
I proved to myself which is enough for me about the lepto vaccine when I titre tested a fully vaccinated dog 11 months later and there was no immunity at all to lepto so I revaccinated for lepto and 6months later titre tested again and there was so little immunity there it was barely traceable and vaccination was reccomended on the sheet that come back from the lab. This led me to realise that if my dog was not covered 6 months later then by 3 months it must seriously diminishing from the system so what use would yearly lepto vaccs be. Also there are many strains of lepto and the vacs only covers against a few of those for that very short time.
Dogs used to be vaccinated for everything every year but even the vaccine companies themselves have now admitted this is not necessary. So all those years millions of dogs were over vaccinated.
Its up to owners to make thier own decision for thier dogs but I do feel that vets should make all dog owners aware that there is a test they can have done first to see if thier dog actually needs the booster.
I won't comment on MMR as I have no knowledge on it and have not looked into it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Not this again - have you lot not learned from the MMR debacle on the human vaccination front?
The vets are probably the best to give you the advice you are looking for. Of all the boosters the first year is probably the most important as the primary course occasionally fails to give the immunity required. Probably a theoretical failing but as there is minimal risk and major benefits there is no problem.
That's not a valid comparison, after all MMR vax are not repeated at any stage of the human life are they ?

That's what they told my father, however his healthy dog died at surgery within three hours of being vaccinated with his annual Lepto booster. A PM revealed that the Lepto vax caused his death ! Also the Lepto vax doesn't even cover all the serovars of Lepto here in the UK & only actually lasts around 6-8 months !

No dog should be vaccinated without being titre tested first (& of course only 100% healthy dogs should be vaccinated.) If my Dad had only listened to me his dog would have been subjected to a painful early death

I know in the Netherlands the practice is to titre test before every vaccination
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >