View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pridek9traiing
New Member!
Male 

11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
hi tia, sorry to hear about your problems with your k9, i fear your dog is very insecure and in dealing with such dogs you must have a direct yet positive approach to the training methods, all dogs have the potential to be pain in the necks, yet it is us with our humanisation that gives the dog the wrong idea, dogs will generally fall into catagories mainly those who wish to please or those who need to be pleased, behaviour training would be highly recomended. I can help with this feel free to contact me on my mobile [details removed] i can give advice to particular problems 1 at a time or i train at a price at your home or preffered address.
CPC
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi TiaMia,

From what you've described, the dog basically is in charge, but not neccessarily happy about it. If they don't see a pack leader, someone with the right assertive energy giving out the rules and discipline, combined with maybe not enough exercise (she could be a naturally high energy dog) then a dog will take up the position as boss, even if it's actually more of a follower. It has to. That's dog psychology. You might be laying down all the rules, but it's irrelevant if the dog doesn't take you seriously or consdier you boss. It's a breed with potential to be dominant, (that doesn't mean aggressive) so needs a firm hand (assertive but not angry, and discipilne not punishment) to get in line, then you can relax a bit and give affection.

Having to be pack leader for a dog that is not alpha male material leads to serious anxiety and stress, incessant barking, chewing etc. That's also the same symptoms as a dog not getting enough exercise. If she's high energy, she'll need walking for a good hour at least, twice a day. And walking, not exercised or played with in the garden. Walking satisfies their primal needs, the dog has no concept of its need for exercise, it jsut wants to travel.

The walk is the best place for you to show who's boss. Get the dog heeling nicely, head forward, concentrating, not sniffing the ground. You might have to up the pace into a jog at first. No pulling.

Really, you need a professional to visit and work with you and your dog in your home for a day. I don't consider any of what you've listed as major or severe, and I've sorted out far worse. Don't give up, but do seek help in the flesh.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
working borders only get 1/2 hour excersise
You are demonstrating your ignorance again dear. Exercise and working are two different things! I can work a dog for 6hrs, but only a fit one will stand up to it, get it???????
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Some really good advice

I have to ask
You say you and everyone are being consistant, what are you all doing just now for every situation you mention?

What training has she had? I ask because I have found the more 'tricks' you teach them the more rewarding they find working with you, the more they want to do the things to make you happy and the quicker they learn
also 'trick training' tires their minds out (By tricks I mean anything, sit, walk to heel, do backflips - basic obedience IS tricks to a dog - they dont know how they are supposed to behaive)

For the food grabbing I would teach a 'leave' - a treat in one hand as the dogs nose approaches say 'leave' and close your hand over, when the dog looks away from the hand reward with a treat from the other hand
quickly they learn that looking away gets the treat

also does your dog follow you everywhere in the house? even the loo?? I would work on playing games like 'stay' where you leave the room and get them used to not being glued to you

A dog class might be a good idea too, my Mia is a dog agressive but the trainer lets us sit off to the side and do as little or much as we can - some days all we can get is treating her when she calms down, last week we managed an agility type relay race (on lead) with another dog in the other lane!!

For the toilet and the other stuff I would up the exercise
at least 30 min in the morning - 1st thing so she HAS to go to the loo with you there
30 min sometime during the day and a longer walk in the evening, tired out with plenty chance to do the loo outside

I really dont see the point in leaving a dog in the garden to exercise itself, espech a velcro dog with seperation angsiaty
I know my Ben would just lie on the step till I came to entertain him
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3