View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
All mine have 6 monthly checks, tobs is 3 monthly with his bloods for thyroid /weight etc.
I think you can say i think my dogs are fit and healthy = the way the look, act, behaviour.
Like you pointed out you know when theres some thing wrong and what is the norm.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Thanks to Malady for a genuinly interesting question. I was speaking with a friend of mine about this exact problem, and we came to the conclusion that it is all relative.
I don't mean to be big headed about the subject, but most people don't have the experience of so many dogs, nor the interest of studying them (I have to admit it is a geeky subject that I am in love with ) So I am suggesting that COMPARING dogs to dogs gives you a good grounding to then state 'this dog is healthy'.

Today I met a 5 month old lab puppy that I immediatly guessed was fed on one of what I consider (based on my findings) to be a 'lesser' dog food. The first thing that came to mind was his drab coat, and I guessed the food straight off.
Going to shows, and being out and about, I have actually guessed which dogs were fed on a 'natural' diet, something I am slightly concerned about. (Esp. over the age of 2) If there is a difference that is obvious to me, why are not more vets picking this up. (Or perhaps that is a question that has an answer I will be frightened to hear)

p.s. the friend I was speaking to has a poodle with the long hair, who positively shines. He has been fed a natural diet from day 1 and is approaching 3
I agree. Some dogs are healthy-ish, but could be better, and they simply lack lustre on the outside, so what does that tell us about the inside ?

This was something I thought of. Some people assume that because their dog is running around, eating and pooing, that it 'Must' be Ok, and 'must' be healthy, which isnt always the case.

I am always reading stuff and wondering if there would be any way I could 'improve' my dogs health or my childrens for that matter, from the inside, so I know that they are healthy, and not just Ok, cos a vet gave them the once over !

This calming signal can be a good sign.
Yes Yawning, can also be a sign of renewed energy or restarting
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't think it is fair, or that I have been fair (if I am honest) in dealing with people that tell me their dog appears healthy. It is not their fault after all, they know what they know - again not everyone makes it their business to 'study' dogs. (it really is an obsession, I gave the driver of a car I was travelling in a right shock today when I madly pointed out at a passing malinois today - we don't have many around here).

I haven't many experiences of people NOT listening to my thoughts and theories in 'real life', but on Dogsey I meet people as passionate as myself on the subject of dogs.
I am learning however that it is very very difficult to change people's opinions, like their religion, it is part of themselves.
Also there is the barrier of writing, very different than speaking and gesturing. I find it difficult to be me, without sounding pompous sometimes...
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
As you both put, can If a dog is calming, i would say its calming for a reason as a dog who is already calm would have not reason to calm, these reasons can be a number of things including illness that may not have a major visiable sign.

The same with yawning, it is a way to charge themselves up and calm themselves down.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
As you both put, can If a dog is calming, i would say its calming for a reason as a dog who is already calm would have not reason to calm, these reasons can be a number of things including illness that may not have a major visiable sign.

The same with yawning, it is a way to charge themselves up and calm themselves down.
The point being made was that yawning/lip licking is not necessarily a sign of illness as you stated. It can similarly be a sign of excitement and renewed energy, which some could mistake for being ill.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Do you get blood work done Malady? I was thinking about it....
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
The point being made was that yawning/lip licking is not necessarily a sign of illness as you stated. It can similarly be a sign of excitement and renewed energy, which some could mistake for being ill.
The point being made, in my mind at least was saying It can be a sign of stress which in turn can be a sign of illness. which after all you little thread was about.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Do you get blood work done Malady? I was thinking about it....
I did for my boy for his first 2 years, and my bitch in her first year, which mainly gave an overview if anything was wrong, but I haven't in the last year, although it's something I'm thinking about again
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
''which after all you little thread was about'' that could come across as a bit demeaning Stormy...

What were the results, did you find them useful, and did you have to specify what you wanted?
BARC
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:00 PM
This is great you all care about your dogs. I also would like to suggest visiting stopcanineobesity dot com where you can take a simple quiz to identify if your dog is overweight and find vets in your area that can help address these issue.

Just an FYI - The National Canine Weight Check is an educational campaign happening during the month of February. We’re encouraging everyone to get a free weight check for their dogs at a participating vet’s office. At each free weight check, our vet partners will hand out weight check cards to help you track your dog’s weight, as well as other educational materials and information to get a cool free gift
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »