register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: The Grand National - for or against it?
For 12 34.29%
Against 23 65.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I did say in my original post that I have no interest in the Grand National and so why would I want to waste my time reading views from at least one activist? They already get way too much air-time in life. Life is way too short. Certainly way too short for arguing over something so petty.

Accidents happen. If we continually look to ban everything that results in injury, and yes, sometimes death, we may as well all pack up and go now. It drives me insane.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Personally I don't find unnecessary death in any animal "petty"
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Personally I don't find unnecessary death in any animal "petty"
Good retort! I was, of course, referring to the petty arguing I would have to engage in to defend the "closed-mind" allegation, but I like your style.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I, rather unsurprisingly, am against the National. The course is still tough, it's still too hard...horses will still die on it. I think that is cruel and a waste of life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Cant see its too hard Ailsa, too many get round for that, its a horse race, its not supposed to be simple, its a test of courage, speed, stamina and agility, like every other sport, if mistakes are made the price is paid. I cant see any problem with it at all, i used to jump fences as big as that when I was 14!
dawn.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello Dawn!!!!!!
Blimey..you jumped fences like that at 14...in one leap...how tall are you???!!!!

Sorry coldn't resist!!! Blame the stress of the last few days!!!

Itis a tough course Dawn, that's why the race is so famous surely? Some of the jumps are really tough.
As for mistakes being made and the price being paid...surely it's wrong that the horse is generally the one that has to pay quite dearly?

'Bout time we had a decnt debate again...we've been agreeing far too much of late!!!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I've voted against.

I agree with Patch (great info btw, thanks for that), Ramble, Vicki et al in that I think this course is too harsh - I can't get pleasure out of watching it when horses get hurt and suffer. Why not introduce changes for improved safety?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-04-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't mind the flat racing but think this course is too cruel so have voted against.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 07:48 AM
For those of you who are for the National, how would you feel if this was transposed to Agility. If the same numbers of dogs died doing agility as died in horse racing how would you feel? Just curious!
Becky
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
For those of you who are for the National, how would you feel if this was transposed to Agility. If the same numbers of dogs died doing agility as died in horse racing how would you feel? Just curious!
Becky
I see where you're coming from but it's a chalk and cheese scenario. I know dozens of people who have dogs living within their family and where the dog enjoys life almost like a family member. I know of one person with a horse, and it lives out in a stable.

Presuming that most people have similar experiences, I dare to suggest that most people will feel completely different about dogs than they do about horses. Though of course, there will be a minority who feel as passionate about horses, in the context of closeness and relationship.

That said, if there were dogs doing the same thing today as horses do, I don't think it would bother me that much. I wouldn't partake in it personally, and I doubt it would interest me, in the same way that I don't have an interest in horse-racing or dog agility now. If the majority of the dogs were enjoying what they were doing, I see absolutely no reason to ban the entire thing, based on the extreme minority that die or get injured

If we had always lived upon the "if it dies, falls over, gets injured, ban it" regime, the entire civilised world, as we know it today, would be... well, I doubt that you and I would even be able to share this discussion today.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >