Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, interesting.

Must say its not something that I would of thought about ever giving the dogs.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Thanks for the advice, interesting.

Must say its not something that I would of thought about ever giving the dogs.
I wouldn't either, seeing sweetcron in my dogs poop makes me gip!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I wouldn't either, seeing sweetcron in my dogs poop makes me gip!
I feel your pain I have to keep mine away from chicken corn due to the fall out
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Anything can be dangerous.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by NCA1 View Post
Anything can be dangerous.
Nothing in life is risk free however we are not talkin POSSIBILITY here but PROBABILITY, which is how we evaluate the level of risk.

When there are HUNDREDS of documented cases of operations and fatalities involved with a particular item, sensible owners take note!

OR alternatively deliberately put their dog at risk.

There are still lots of people who ignore the FACT that grapes and chocolate are toxic to dogs and continue giving their dogs what is essentially a poison.

Go figure!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I dont throw sticks for my dogs and so far they arent really pick up and run with sticks type of dogs, they are ball obsessed with tennis balls but are small springers so having considered the safety risks with tennis balls i think there mouths are small enough etc.

I definitely cant grasp the grapes and chocolate feeding it is just not necessary.

They do have some pizzle stuffed rawhides occasionally always supervised etc, but never would i give them corn cobs, again see no reason to.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the warning SB...I have a dog who is obsessed with corn on the cob, to the point that I have had to fence off part of the veggie garden so that I can grow them without him eating them. I had no idea he was putting himself at risk.

I knew about grapes....living in the Bordeaux area, I have quite a challenge keeping my dogs off the grapes! Are there any other fruit that are dangerous for dogs? We have loads of plums, figs and walnuts around here too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by GirondeDeb View Post
Thanks for the warning SB...I have a dog who is obsessed with corn on the cob, to the point that I have had to fence off part of the veggie garden so that I can grow them without him eating them. I had no idea he was putting himself at risk.

I knew about grapes....living in the Bordeaux area, I have quite a challenge keeping my dogs off the grapes! Are there any other fruit that are dangerous for dogs? We have loads of plums, figs and walnuts around here too.
You are welcome, you can feed ALL fruits to dogs BAR grapes (and thus raisins) confusing for you as of course raisins is the french word for grapes (just showing off my language skills) .

Walnuts need to be considered with care it is not the NUT that is the issue but the mould/fungus that they are prey to, so I would avoid.

Avocado should also be avoided as it contains persin which can be troublesome for a lot of pets.

Onions cause haemolytic anaemia so avoid at all costs.

The only other consideration with fruit is a) it is a laxative (beware) and b) fallen fruit can ferment and thus eating a lot of it can make a dog drunk (as well as trigger GDV).

Some dogs LOVE fruit, others can take it or leave it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I never knew corn in the cob was something dogs particularly like... thankfully Jake hates just about all veg (i say just about coz i can't think of a single one he chooses to eat)... corn in the cobs are safe around him.

I do think lots of things in life are dangerous, and we can prevent them the best we can... I personally see no harm in someone supervising their dog while they have a corn in the cob.

I don't throw sticks on land, but will occasionally throw them in the water. I see tons of people throwing sticks for their dog... its why i nearly always take a ball so that Jake can play with that and ignore any sticks.

I think its all a matter of personal opinion and perception.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't throw sticks on land, but will occasionally throw them in the water. I see tons of people throwing sticks for their dog... its why i nearly always take a ball so that Jake can play with that and ignore any sticks.
The very first thing Rupert chose to play with outside of the house was a stick. He just picked it up and started prancing around with it inviting me to chase him. I now take a toy with me so that if he does want to play I have something safe to play with him with. I was gobsmacked when he picked it up though, he has NEVER played with anything outside of the house in the 7 years I've had him..
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >