Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by deefin
well im proud of them . despite the munching on everything ..
been doing run/stop training with them lately topaz is way better at it than tyson who thinks its a race , tysons latest trick , he found a bird wing while on a walk . and aboslutely refused to let it go , the only thing th eould temp him to drop it was maltesers which i happened to have in my pocket , the litt;le fella learns fast hes now bring me every bit of crap and rubish he can find and dropping it at mt feet and refuses to move till he gets a treat , topaz think she should get a treat for not bring me stuff ..lol ya gotta love em
lol that's funny they sound real characters!

what's run/stop training??
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
lol that's funny they sound real characters!

what's run/stop training??
run stop .. thats easy running and stopping on command , topaz loves to run and bounds all over the place . with ouit training she would just run and keep running .. . she sits when i say ready . go she runs . stops on stop . back she returns to me for a treat .. easy stuff but hlps to keep them under controll . they enjoy the run . and the treat when they come back ..
normal come command for tyson is cheese ! i say cheese and back he comes ! hes a weirdo lol
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2005, 01:03 PM
So a bit like recall with a difference

That sounds good, my two have always been the same as how Topaz sounds too...I think I'm doing similar by telling them 'wait' when they are running which they means I want them to stop what they are doing right now and be still, either for me to recall them or catch up or tell them 'ok, go' again. You need this kinda stuff with very energetic dogs who want to run and run, don't you...lol

How did you teach her the word stop??...

I tend to use 'wait' for everything like I have them sit while I get there dinners ready and tell them 'wait' while I am putting the bowls down and get them to 'wait' (I.E: keeping sat down and not moving) for different amounts of time before I say 'ok, guys, eat! to which they spring up and eat their food...I also use wait for when we are going out the door for walks so that I get out first...Also wait for when we open the back of the truck for them to get out, they have to sit and wait for different lenghts of time before they are allowed to get out...If they don't 'wait' they don't get the result, like, I wont put their bowls down or will take them back if they move to soon, they wont be allowed out the door if they don't wait first...etc...So 'wait' seems to be what we use whenever we want them to not do anything but be still!...Because we have used it for all these different things they correlate it out on walks and are stopping most the time...lol...on the wait command.

I might have tried your version of 'stop' had I have not used wait for so long, but I guess they get a similar result?...lol
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2005, 01:08 PM
They're both cuties, but Topaz :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 07:40 PM
wait is a differnt command ,, i only use stop for when im run/stop training . they understand wait aswell .
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 08:51 PM
oh well I like to keep it simple, keeping the amount of commands we use as low in numbers as possible...We tend to use wait for everything meaning keep still and don't do anything until I give another command...lol...it works for me and my two
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 09:03 PM
thats just the way i train my two , of course everyone / dog is different .. i just like to keep my run training differnt so they know when its safe to run and when it isnt , topaz would run every where given the chance shes a skippy dog . wait they associate with feeding times / people at the door / ect stop means simply that stop . like tysons recall command being cheese , he will answer to his name but if hes being a little monkey . i use the word cheese and he comes right back , , its all rather similar you can use any word you like for training comands its not the actual word the dog understands but more the inflection you use . they word associate , like i know what his differnt growls and barks mean . im sure you do with your dogs too .
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
They're great Diane:smt049
Lozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Awwww they are both lovely,

great pics xxLauraxx
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Awww they are both very cute :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 Can't believe those 2 innocent lil faces can be so norty

Love the sound of the run/stop training, might try that with Barney That's a great idea
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >