View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Panic over - he doesn't think the glands are related to the eyes, and he wants us to bathe the eyes rather than give anymore treatment. he did lots of tests on eyes including testing her tear production and that was fine.

He thinks the glands are related ot the bald patch on her head, she has also developed one on her shoulder.

He plucked hairs from the bald patch on her head and found out that she has localised mange from demodex, so no treatment needed for either conditions. Just need to monitor them.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
thats good news just hope its all ok

no treatment for Mange or the swollen gland ? thats odd i think

still feel its too similar to pyoderma and having been through it undiagnosed for 2 weeks i would still be concerned if he were mine
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
looks like we posted that at the same time! lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
yea have edited it ..lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
just to add the reason i am concerned and not convinced its conjunctivitis is that you posted on the 30th April about it and its still not cleared ....is your vet still giving her eye drops ?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
thats good news just hope its all ok

no treatment for Mange or the swollen gland ? thats odd i think

still feel its too similar to pyoderma and having been through it undiagnosed for 2 weeks i would still be concerned if he were mine
I have heard before that demodex only needs treatment if the dogs own immune system is not coping with it, that's why i have to watch to see if the bald patches get any bigger. The swollen glands are a sign that her body is trying to fight the demodex.

He took her temperature and it was normal and checked her all over for sores, including in her mouth. Although she has had some discharge from her eyes, he is happy that the eys are only salmon pink and not red and suggests that i bathe the eyes where needed.

So i am happy with that and just have to hope that he was right and it will all clear up. Fingers crossed!

She is happily munching on a paddiwack now.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
just to add the reason i am concerned and not convinced its conjunctivitis is that you posted on the 30th April about it and its still not cleared ....is your vet still giving her eye drops ?

Yes she has had two lots of treament, the first lot were difficult to do and was not convinced much of the ointment went it - but we had a second lot and it cleared up as i managed to administer it correctly. It was 99% back to normal.

The eyes are still salmon pink and she is not itching them so it is much better.

I found out that her dad gets weepy eyes quiet often so maybe it is a familial thing - i will try the bathing and keep an eye on it - so to speak!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I forgot to say that i did mention strangles but he was convinced it wasn't that.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
How old is your dog?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
How old is your dog?
She's just five months.