View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Thesse poor people's beach houses are lost after the storm. Kind of makes my stupid error pretty insignificant really:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...orm-surge.html
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Afternoon all
The bad penny has returned though it was touch n go
Power only just on a short time ago ,though it's still a bit iffy flickering just hope it stays on till the house heats up it's like the North Pole ,
Still lots of folk with no power ,admit was a tad twichy on my own ,haven't caught up with the news (must buy a battery radio ,)
HOPE EVERYONE IS OK ,DO TAKE CARE STAY SAFE AND WARM
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thesse poor people's beach houses are lost after the storm. Kind of makes my stupid error pretty insignificant really:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...orm-surge.html
These homes would more correctly be called 'cliff top' houses. The dangers inherent in buying these are well known - even for just 'erosion'. You cannot get insurance against the risks. But such is the desire of some to live as close to the sea as possible (and of course to buy as cheaply as possible) that they take the risks. No one was injured.

I'm getting one of those Junior ISAs for my granddaughter when over at Xmas. I tried to get it when there in october but they said I need original copy of her birth certificate and of course I was at Martin's and didn't have that. I've told my DiL to dig it out for me and me and Mart are going half each on a £1K Junior ISA for little Holly. Not to be spent until she is at least 18! (By which time I will be pushing up the daisies!)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
These homes would more correctly be called 'cliff top' houses. The dangers inherent in buying these are well known - even for just 'erosion'. You cannot get insurance against the risks. But such is the desire of some to live as close to the sea as possible (and of course to buy as cheaply as possible) that they take the risks. No one was injured.

I'm getting one of those Junior ISAs for my granddaughter when over at Xmas. I tried to get it when there in october but they said I need original copy of her birth certificate and of course I was at Martin's and didn't have that. I've told my DiL to dig it out for me and me and Mart are going half each on a £1K Junior ISA for little Holly. Not to be spent until she is at least 18! (By which time I will be pushing up the daisies!)
I always wanted a sea view (in my dreams!) but I wouldn't want to be that close!

Now I've looked into it propely, I can't actually get a Junior ISA for my kids because neither of them was born before 2002 or after 2011.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Morning Linda it is so easy to press the wrong button and not so easy to put it right. Fingers crossed they will sort it out for you in your favour.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Other dreary news from Larnaka. I've actually now brought all accounts and spreadsheets up to date and paid all bills except for Municipalities (equiv. of your Col Tax) Looks like I will have to visit the dreaded offices above the KFC on Monday for those (they only open until 12.30) am unable to do them online. They want the ID card numbers of all owners - they DO make it difficult for you to pay bills here - anyone would think you were trying to GET money instead of PAY it.

This now leaves that and only one more outstanding (quite big) job to do. Download and print off all the gubbins from my Financial people, De Vere. I've been leaving that until last but now have the printer plugged in next to me so hope to print them off later, read and sign over weekend and get in touch with them on Monday.

Gawd I've never been so organised! Sun's back out here now but still cooler (perfect in fact).

I had a Christmas drink with the neighbours last night - we all congregated in Danny's flat. I am toying (just toying mind you) with the idea of inviting them all down here one day before I leave for some drinks and nibbles (shop bought nibbles I don't cook nibbles). I have ended up with a huge slab of home made trad. pastry filled with what is like sweet custard. I am going to have that for my late lunch!

Still using up what's in the freezer here. Have taken out some chicken and bangers to defrost for over the weekend. Will have to get chicken wings for Bella but my corner shop sells those (and cheaper than supermarket or butcher). So no big shop thingies for me.

I will go to the Craft Shop celebration over the weekend some time. And there is a Christmas Fayre being held down on Makenzy Beach all day/evening next wednesday. Probably pop down to see that too.

Just for Lacey and to show I am TRYING to get into the festive mood lol! Strategically placed on cupboard just inside front door to greet visitors!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Jenny
Can't you be a bit less 'domestic' with your plots to get something for you! Think DIAMONDS girl, not bathroom suites lol!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Afternoon Norma so glad you are ok.
It is very sad Linda about these bungalows but you really have to do your homework now when buying near the coast or rivers. We did a quote for insurance to make it was easily accepted for this cottage before making our offer. We also checked out the Environment agency web site and local news back as far as we could go for stories about flooding here.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Everyone, late on parade today. Fortunately no damage last night unlike further up the coast. Don't know whether there is going to be further damage tonight for some. It's a shame that some have lost their homes so near Christmas but at least no lives were lost.

Hope everyone is having a good day. God bless.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post

Now I've looked into it propely, I can't actually get a Junior ISA for my kids because neither of them was born before 2002 or after 2011.
Danger of clifftop houses in UK is well known. These aren't the first to fall off or slide off the cliffs. And it doesn't take storms to do it either. Insurance companies won't touch 'em.

Heres a bit about a quite famous street of them where I used to live in Torbay
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ety-fears.html

As for the Junior ISA? I went into the bank and they didn't tell me about these cut off dates! I believe they called it a YOUNG PERSON ISA. My granddaughter was born in 2011.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »