View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
the sort of owners hiho refers to are not the sort to neuter anyway ime........we try to advise them till we are blue in the face..but u cant force them!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
These threads about neutering always seem to rear their heads now & then. One of the things that isnt mentioned here is the fact that a lot of Vets advocate neutering/spaying from six months.*

Vets we went to for years promoted it, had posters up in waiting room re errors of none neuter & consequences.*

In total contrast the Vets we now attend advocate waiting for sexual maturity, they refuse to neuter/spay before it

So who is right - who does the client believe.*

My view point boils down to this, as like so *many others on this forum, i am involved with rescue. If it saves just one immature bitch "PUPPY" having a litter of puppies at a very immature age, i.e. BEFORE 12 months, then i advocate neutering/spaying BEFORE sexual maturity

A long time ago someone in rescue who also showed/bred dogs said to me -"I dont agree with spaying / neutering before sexual maturity, but its ok to neuter a rescue bitch from 6 months & should be done" - that to me is double standards & hypocritical

There is a lot of nonsense & scare mongering written on forums - for the average everyday owner who wants a dog as a pet/companion, they are not going to worry if the dog is not a perfect example of their breed or not

If a dog is going to be tall & leggy, short & stumpy, a lot of that is down to breeding.*

I have heard the argument that a bitch can become incontinent - in all the dogs we have had done over the years & known that were done, we have never experienced or known if this & all have been spayed before a first season.*

There are other reasons why a bitch can become incontinent - it does not all come down to spaying before sexual maturity

If i took on a rescue bitch & my Vet refused to spay her FROM 6 - 7 months, i would take her elsewhere. I would tell my Vet why as well.

If every vet refused to spay / neuter before sexual maturity we would have a heck of a lot more dogs/pups in rescue being PTS because there are no homes for them. The situation is bad enough as it is.

Very early neutering/spaying - from 3 months on, i can understand the reasoning however i nether support nor agree with it
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Spot on VB!Tactfully enough put I hope not to get the numpties on the warpath!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
why do u have to be so agro...so peeps that choose not to neuter till mature are numpties?

the numpties are the owners that havnt a clue and WONT neuter!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
why do u have to be so agro...so peeps that choose not to neuter till mature are numpties?
!
Where does it say that? I certainly didnt type that, nor did anyone else!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Where does it say that? I certainly didnt type that, nor did anyone else!
i didnt say you did! i didnt even quote you
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
i was referring to the quote above...what does that mean then?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i didnt say you did! i didnt even quote you

i was referring to the quote above...what does that mean then?
I know you wern't quoting me
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3