View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 05:31 PM
With an open wound like that won't it encourage infection ?
I hope the vet visit went well - keep us updated x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba
So did I but the vet said its a natural defence to rid the system of foreign bodies because of the op??
Hi Donna yes in some operations there is a drain (usually a tube) but it is normally at the edge of the wound. Most spay sites I have seen look like this picture I have found for you, all neat and tidy ...perhaps your vet does things differently .

It isn't actually an open wound you have there, just the top skin layer , each layer is sewn separately
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I can`t say thats the tidiest spay site...
At risk of insulting your vet there was`nt a supervised vet student involved was there ?
Many vets do that, and trainee vets have to learn somewhere of course, and its rare for any client to know as things are so closely supervised, but not on my crew, its in writing and formally agreed with my vet that I don`t allow students to do any part of any op on my crew - they may observe but not touch !

Anyway, that aside, a tiny opening is not too concerning as the underlayers are stitched and weeping helps flush things out rather than encouraging infection inward.

I have had mogs which have pulled stitches out [ pretty common ] but after 72 hours from the op its not a concern at all as animals tissues heal so incredibly fast so no treatment is usually required, but this soon after, if it were my vet, he would just use suture glue for those little gaps - that said, my vet does a far neater job *ahem*
I`m not belittling that you must be worried hun, but trust me they are very small and should be very easy to close up with suture glue :smt001
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I can`t say thats the tidiest spay site...
Anyway, that aside, a tiny opening is not too concerning as the underlayers are stitched and weeping helps flush things out rather than encouraging infection inward.

I have had mogs which have pulled stitches out [ pretty common ] but after 72 hours from the op its not a concern at all as animals tissues heal so incredibly fast so no treatment is usually required, but this soon after, if it were my vet, he would just use suture glue for those little gaps - that said, my vet does a far neater job *ahem*
I`m not belittling that you must be worried hun, but trust me they are very small and should be very easy to close up with suture glue :smt001
Yes I would agree it is probably not as bad as it looks because it was only the top layer that is open it is not an open wound as such ....it is not the neatest I have seen either

If the gap in the sutures was left intentionally as a drain that is fine but the vet should have mentioned it really.
I did occur to me that as the vet had intended keeping Zuki in because she was a 'bleeder', the vet may have left a drain that he wouldn't normally have done in a bitch going home

I would have gone back to the vets just to be sure, I always err on the side of caution..better to be wrong than too late.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Oooh good luck Zuba, hope everything goes well
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
sorry to see this Donna i have to say i wouldn't be pleased with that ..when Sophie was spayed it was a neat line of stitches ( same vets as yours back then ) ....
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Just got back and she now has staples as well as her disolving stitches and her normal one They have really made a big mess of my girl and I am so angry they have not charged me for any of the visits or keeping her in but still what if I was working she could have bled to death or popped open all of her stitches. They only just offered me a buster collar, so until I asked for one today she had been wearing a tshirt
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
donna if you wanna blast ring me
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Donna Im not surprised you are upset- we trust vets to look after our pups and so they should. I wasnt happy with the look of Minnies stitches after her spay- a few days after the op the incision got infected- looks like the external stitches were pulled too tight I hope Zuki will be ok now- thats what really matters.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
R poor little girl what anight mare for you but bless her she shouldnt have had to go through all that i am sending big soft hugs + kissies to her + great big wet kisses from my babies to you both
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >