View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:20 AM
The other thing about Howdens is that a lot of the units come already built so though you may pay as little more at the outset,y you save on the cost of joiner's time.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I know this company would do a good job but £9000 for basic rigid carcas vinyl cupbaords and laminate worktop seems OTT. I had a cheaper quote for bespoke cupboards but have no faith in the organisation of the company.

Has anyone used Howden's and had a kitchen fitted by their builder?

We had our kitchen designed by MFI last summer, we ordered our kitchen from them, then got our friend (who is a kitchen fitter for Howdens) to fit it. I'm 100% happy with it, it looks great. It did cost us £9600 but that included our Range cooker/hood and fitting. Our cupboards are Schrieber (already put together) and the doors are solid oak, and worktops just standard. We knocked our kitchen and dining room into one big open kitchen, so have 12 base units all with drawers above, 9 wall cabinets and the two end cabinets are full length (to worktop) with glass doors. Right hand s/s drainer with mixer tap that extends like a shower.

The guy who fitted our kitchen did say he wouldn't recommend using Howdens to fit a kitchen as they are paid per kitchen and tend to rush it and not do a very good job.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I am OK with having someone to fit it as our builder will over see it. It is just finding the "right kitchen". I have decided to get him to have Howdens out and am considering having alook at John Lewis. They have never let me down on quality before.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:29 AM
we have a B&Q kitchen and it has been fitted for over 4 years it was a good price for what it is. I used to work for B&Q on the kitchen department so I knew the supplier. They now have new suppliers and I believe the quality is better. They do some higher quality units now. They use computerised designs too so it helps you get a better idea of what its going to look like. Wickes are also good, so I am told but no experience. Never heard of Howdens though , good luck i was where you are now 4 years ago so know exaxctly how you feel xx
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Try Wickes - we have just ordered a kitchen from there and i've spoken to a few professional builders etc and they reckon they are one of the best "off the peg" kitchens you can get.
Ours cost 4,000 with appliances (smallish kitchen) - its got solid oak doors for that money and the carcasses are proper reinforced ones not flimsy things.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Howdens used to supply MFI with lots of their kitchens, just not the one we wanted which is a shame as our friend works for them he could have got his staff discount for us.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I have contacted Wickes to arrange a planning session. I must admit their kitchens looked nice online.

We now have four options......

Wickes, Magnet, Howdens and John Lewis.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I have contacted Wickes to arrange a planning session. I must admit their kitchens looked nice online.

We now have four options......

Wickes, Magnet, Howdens and John Lewis.
How are things going? Just discovered that JL have put their prices up! I hoped with the economy the way it is, they might have been giving discounts.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
We have had a quote from JL.....expensiveish....more importantly it is a three month process from start to finish!!!

Our small kitchen company has come back to us with a small change in design and a better price. We discussed it again with them tonight and now we wait a couple of days to think about it.

We also have another local company coming out on Wednesday to see what they can do....
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Kitchens Direct are supposed to be good ?
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3