Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
they do play 'football' with them and sometimes sling them in the air, they seem to bounce quite well
Sorry, not funny at all for the hedgehogs, but your description made me laugh!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Sorry, not funny at all for the hedgehogs, but your description made me laugh!
They seem to survive OK, as someone mentioned, with our two it's more likely to be shock that kills them as the dogs have never bitten them and when I've done the walk down the road with one on the shovel he (she) has always trotted into the undergrowth. Do hedgehogs suffer from PTS (Post Traumatic Shock syndome)
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Molly brings them me back at the woods, no harm to the hedgehog and no spikes to her,

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/_MG_9521.jpg
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Mum's old collie mix Dino attacked me with a hedgehog once.

He found one when we were out a walk one night and I was trying to make him let go of it, he whirled round and walloped me in the leg with the poor thing. Boy it hurt and I had some cracking pinholes in my leg
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I have never ever seen a hedgehog in real life only on tv! I do like them though but dogs will be dogs, my dogs would probably kill one if they saw it though but they would also leave it if told to! What a horrible thing to have to deal with at night though!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
It is a problem at this time of year, our two don't attack them, but they do play 'football' with them and sometimes sling them in the air, they seem to bounce quite well

In previous years I've had to resort to the shovel and carry them down the road about half a mile to unload them.

If you just put them over the fence they will likely come back, hedgehogs don't seem to be endowed with a lot of brain cells

I don't know what the perfect answer is, wish I did.
Oh I remember it well H, bless you!

We usually have one just outside the back door when Georgie needs to go out at around 3.00 am. and hubby said it was sooooo funny seeing him leap in the air when he went to sniff it, but thankfully he left it alone. Zena hasn't come across it yet, but she knows to leave all the baby birdies alone and the frogs so hopefully, she'll be the same with the little hedgies coz they're my absolute favourites.

I like them coz they eat all the slugs which could possibly kill my dogs, so they're staying here, I'll make darn sure the dogs leave them alone!

Can't you do something with the fencing Phil all around the bottom, I know your garden is big, but so is ours, but nothing can get underneath the fence coz we've got gravel boards, except in one spot where I want the hedgehogs to still come through which they do. If I were you, I'd try and sort out some gravel boards all along the bottom edges coz it's the only way they are getting in isn't it, they don't fly over the top! Good luck, what a nightmare for the poor little things They like to stick to their usual night-time routes that I do know, so maybe try and find out by spying on them overnight!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3