View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 01:12 PM
good post morganstar.............The positive has to be taken from this CKCS owners will insist on health certificates I think its will open the eyes of people buying and those breeding
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
I think what we need to learn from this is health testing is not the be all and end all. Inbreeding and linebreeding is what needs to stop and is a far greater problem than breeding from unhealth tested parents.
your right but its a good start
I would never buy anything thats inbred i am hoping the pet buying public will ask more questions than they used to
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
I'm sorry, but me and my partner turned it off after the young boxer was featured, I was sobbing after listening to the dog scream (tears are forming now just thinking about it). I can see that the owners clearly loved him but my PERSONAL thoughts are that if I was in their shoes I would rather end his misery. Sorry if that offends, but that is my opinion!

Leeza.
Epilepsy can usually be controlled effectively with daily medication. In addition you should never hold down a dog when it is fitting (like the man in that vid did) - just move it to a clear area so it can't hurt itself.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 02:26 PM
AS far as the shape of the GSD is concerned, all I can say is last time I was at the Seiger there were at least three dogs in the adult class who looked to all intent & purpose similar to the dogat Crufts & who were working dogs that is they did not hjave to do their working qualifications because they actually worked full time as sheep dogs so they were obviously bot compromised by their top line.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
To be fair the KC are doing things, and I agree with them saying they will alienate breeders if they go OTT too quickly. I DO think though they should ONLY register puppies from tested parents of breeds that are known to have inherited diseases that can successfully tested for.
I totally agree with this - TBH I think it is disgusting that this ruling hasn't been brought about before now. It is ridiculous that people can breed from a dog that they know has a hereditary disease that will pass to it's progency

That Cav breeder disgusted me - she knew her dog could pass this on and disregarded the Vets advice and bred anyway. The only reason I can see for this is pure profit-mongering

Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
The ridgeback thing got me too, how come the healthier dogs are the ones who are put to sleep!!!! its madness!!! how humans go against natural selection and breed disease ridden dogs gets me
I was utterly appalled to hear that the breed club condoned "culling" (what a callous terminology )of ridgeless pups. Surely there would be plenty of people happy to take on a Ridgeless puppy. If breeders were so concerned about not wanting them bred from they could put a clause in the puppy contract!!

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Did you hear that boxer scream? that was so awful, Crying my eyes out
I too cried at that, it broke my heart hearing that dog scream and seeing it thrash around. Truly heart-rendering to see - as was the Cavalier screaming in pain because it's skull was pressing on its brain

I really think it is of paramount importance that there is a rule change for breeding dogs. It should be made clear that ALL dogs MUST pass health test for diseases/defects that are known to plague each breed and only healthy stock bred from.

This is the only way to progress forwards surely?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Well there are Cavalier breeders who scan & only breed from clear dogs & I've just found one & I've known of her for ages but assumed wrong that she had Blenheims-she doesn't she had solids & yes she outscrosses. So I'm keeping my fingers, toes, knees & everything else crossed that the bitch is scanned clear & the intended father is & they get together in the near future !! Not only that but she also has a BC & a Beardie Cross(rescue)

She has been scanning since it was first made available !!! & has always heart & eye tested her dogs
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
AS far as the shape of the GSD is concerned, all I can say is last time I was at the Seiger there were at least three dogs in the adult class who looked to all intent & purpose similar to the dogat Crufts & who were working dogs that is they did not hjave to do their working qualifications because they actually worked full time as sheep dogs so they were obviously bot compromised by their top line.
Surely these dogs had to be in the HGH class & not the Open dog class I've just looked at 15 years of Sieger catalogues & the only dogs with the HGH qual were in the HGH class & all the Open class dogs had Schutzhund quals
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 04:42 PM
What worries me is if we stop registering puppies that are from untested litters we run the risk of pushing these people underground and making them harder to keep an eye on.
I seriously believe education is the way to go. By education I mean puppy buyers and not breeders who are aware of the implications.
As some of you know I've just had a litter and all the boys sold straight away. I sent a list to all the people who enquired with questions to ask the breeders and a list of answers to expect. I also gave them the web address of the main club and told them to read the health page and tried to stear them in the right direction
I think this is what the KC should be doing.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 05:05 PM
im not an expert but I do knwo you get naturally docked Brittanies and boxers but wouldnt know how to start even thinking about breeding for a shorten tail or even if its possible.
Perhaps Pod can explain it later.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Yes, it was quite a simple, though long term process, to introduce the bobtail gene into the Boxer by crossing with a bobtail Corgi. Bobtail is though a dominant trait and the homozygote, that is an embryo carrying two copies of the bobtail gene, dies in utero. The result of this is that all dogs that show the bobtail trait are also carriers of normal long tail, so the long tail can never be bred out of the breed.

And recently we have had the news that the German Boxer Club have, with the FCI's approval, changed the standard to make bobtail a major fault. If this is brought into the UK standard too, the whole thing will have been in vain, at least as far as the show Boxer is concerned.
Page 28 of 65 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »