View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 12:28 AM
If designer dogs were kc reg, what group/s would they go in. As most groups are based around the dogs purpose, or original purpose, but the dd's don't appear to have one, apart from a pet, nothing wrong with that before people start getting all highly strung again, its just the only class that might accomidate for that would be toy, and I think some of the mixes are a bit to big for that lol.

No, before anyone asks, I don't think that any of the designer dogs will ever be kc reg, as it appears that no one, at least in this country, is trying to develop these mixes beyond the first generation. With the ecception of the wolf lookalikes who at least have standards they're aiming for, even if many of them have the ethics of a potato, but then that would depend on if you consider wolf lookalikes to be a designer dog.

I find it odd, if not a little hypocritical, that some dd owners go on about how unhealthy/poorly bred kc/pure breeds are, yet own a dog that is at least a mix of 2 different examples of the for mentioned unhealthy/badly bred pure breeds, that they'd never dream of owning. Makes me wonder, that with such clear unrestrained distain for pure breed dogs, how they can bring themselves to own a dog at all, it must get a bit conflicted, praising your mix to the heavens whilst slagging off the breeds that created it.

I'd like to know if there is a single dd breeder that is breeding with the view of improving the health and or genetic diversity of one/both the breeds they mix. Otherwise, what leg do any of you have to stand on, slagging off the kc and pure breed breeders, when none of you or your breeders is doing a thing to help rectify the situation, you continuously complain about.

I think in some instances crossbreeding can be of great benafit take the lua dalmatian for example, or guide dogs, where wide variation in dogs is required in order to have the greatest chance of matching human to dog. But when the aime is simply a pet, then one has to ask, that with all the various breeds out there, are deliberate mixes with no end game in site, really necessary, I'm inclined to say no, they aren't. But that is just imo, you don't have to like it, just accept it as my opinion.

Going back to an earlier point ref over population.

I find it baffling how anyone would want their chosen breed/cross breed to become over populated, as that would tend towards an increase in bad breeders, and dogs finding their way into rescue from ill-equipt owners. My breed has this issue, and of course, lets not forget there's no labradoodle without the labrador.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2010, 12:57 AM
i believe some breeders are crossing pugs in the aim to lengthen their snout, of course it is then not a pug but i believe it is being done in the aim to aid their respiratory problems. Dont know if so not saying any opinion on it!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2010, 01:03 AM
also my mum is fully aware she owns a crossbreed. My OH family are fully aware they own three cross breeds. They were brought into the world ethicaly so why tar all with the same brush? Its only ignorant poodle cross owners who are unlikely to be responsible dog owners who will argue it is not a cross. It is stupid to say they are not a cross. Even their designer name explains there cross so no one can really say otherwise.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post

I don't know a single DD owner that ever thought that their dog was a purebred, or was guaranteed not to shed, or ever have health problems.
Come along to my classes - I have 3 who were led to believe that when they purchased the dog coming at the moment
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
, try to get A DD owner to admit his/her dogs a mere cross. (good luck).
You'll probably find that on my thread Golden Retriever x Poodle http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...92#post2011492

I run a forum (not one you'd be interested in) that is "... for poodle crosses"
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 07:52 AM
I been reading this with interest and have to have a say now.

Labradoodles (& all DD's) are NOT a breed, they are crosses, mutts, mongrels, heinz 57.

All of you with DD's dogs who refer to them by these silly made up names, boy you must really be embarrased with your your dogs to blatently lie about them ''ohh i've got a labradoodle!'' No, you've got a cross. Whats wrong - are you embarrased about your own dog?! If a had mix i'd say so ie ''what breeds that?'' - ''he's a Lab mix/cross''. etc.

Not just that why try to claim it's a purebreed when 95% of you DD owners have a severe problem with purebreeds eh?

I have found most DD owners to be ignorant & arrogant, who will instead have a pop at the KC or purebreeds as opposed to explain why they purposely bought a dog off a money grabbing BYB.

Yes, DD breeders are purely in it for money. There relying on the gullibility of people to flog living creatures. Every Designer puppy bought means another litter will be produced (from purebreeds - gasp)!

Before you DD owners play 'victim' i'll say this, yes a great deal of purebreeds should not be bred either, but then it's also purebreeds being used to produce your Designer dogs!

I own a Siberian Husky, the breed is thousands of years old and was selectively bred from wolves. It was not mixed from different dog breeds! Theres also 13 other ancient breeds that where not produced via mixing - so the 'all dogs started as crosses brigade', please get your facts straight!
I don't like your attitude. The fact is that these dogs have been given names whether you like it or not. Why shouldn't people refer to their dogs by the name given? It may be a cross between two breeds, that does not take away from the fact that they have been given a name. You know straight away what a Labradoodle is.

Ref your reference to your chosen breed, it has already been proven to you that your dog is not a wolf and that yes other breeds went into its creation, yes 'CREATION'. It is a breed that was created, it did not just appear!! Just like the Designer Breeds are a creation, albeit a modern and it would seem a controversial one.

Might I just add that your chosen breed has also been altered over the years......
'The present day Siberian Husky has changed a lot since entering this country around 1900, but with in the current Siberian Husky breed the heart and drive of the beloved and much prized, Chukchi dog still lives. ' Tiami Coleburg
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I been reading this with interest and have to have a say now.

Labradoodles (& all DD's) are NOT a breed, they are crosses, mutts, mongrels, heinz 57.

All of you with DD's dogs who refer to them by these silly made up names, boy you must really be embarrased with your your dogs to blatently lie about them ''ohh i've got a labradoodle!'' No, you've got a cross. Whats wrong - are you embarrased about your own dog?! If a had mix i'd say so ie ''what breeds that?'' - ''he's a Lab mix/cross''. etc.
Maybe it is just easier to say, it sums it up, my OH owns a Bull Arab I am not going to say how many crosses he is Call him a cross bred that's fine I have no worries with it but what I call him is up to me

Not just that why try to claim it's a purebreed when 95% of you DD owners have a severe problem with purebreeds eh?
You seem to have enough venom in your post to clearly see you have a problem with DD, why so upset when the shoe is on the other foot
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Come along to my classes - I have 3 who were led to believe that when they purchased the dog coming at the moment
On good old wiki the Schnoodle is claimed not be guaranteed not to shed hair
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I object to the type of "folk beliefs" that owners of cross-breeds seem to suffer from. The belief that as soon as you cross 2 breeds you are no longer likely to get any heath problems at all! Someone at our training club use to breed Irish Wolfhounds and then got a Pooador because she was worried about hip dysplasia in Wolfhounds. I asked her if her new dogs sire/dam had been hip scored and she didn't know! Despite the fact that both standard poodles and Labradors have high incidents of hip dysplasia in the breed.

We have seen quite a few Pooadors and they have all looked different and as owners have said to me they bought them for their non-shedding coat this would be worrying to me as most of the ones we see have Lab type coats. As an asthmatic and therefore someone who had to have a non-shedding breed I would not be prepared to risk getting a dog that I might have to give up. it would break my heart. We stuck to a pedigree breed that was guaranteed not to moult and I never have any problems.

I think it is a shame that people are so derogatory about KC dogs per se. My 2 come from a reputable breeder and have excellent health and temperaments apart from Cherry is frightened of large dogs because she has been attacked a few times. I get the same old anti-pedigree rubbish from our vet who did admit when I "pushed" him to, that Cherry and Parker are very fit and healthy animals.

The only dog that Parker cannot stand is a Pooador. He is very large and kept running over to bounce on Cherry (she is on a lead-partially blind) and Parker warned him away twice. The 3rd time he did it Parker pinned him to the ground (without breaking skin), never seen him behave anything like this before-guess it was just too manic for him.

I have no problem with people getting cross-breeds. Just people being misadvised and conned out of a lot of money I object to. Saw a "mini" Pooador the other night, looked just like a Lab x terrier and had no fur! On the same walk we saw a couple with 2 lovely cross-breeds which probably cost a quarter of the amount but were in beautiful condition and coat.

I am also getting fed-up with people asking me if my dogs ar Pooadors-they look nothing like them! A lady with one that was huge and we thought was a Poodle x Irish Wolfhound, said "Oh your dogs look just like mine!" No they don't I thought but smiled politely and moved on.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I've read this thread with interest

I don't have a problem with any dog,what I do have an issue with is irresponsile breeding.

I have heard some of the owners of DD's, say pedigree breeders are jealous because the DD's are getting popular so the demand for pedigree's,pure bred dogs is falling If only......

Popularity comes with a price,my breed is popular,very very overbred,thousands up and down the uk in rescue's and on death row.

I am also miffed as to how these crossbreeds,DD's are bred,how do breeders know what to improve on when they have no idea how litters are going to turn out and no breed standard to breed to.

I myself will stick to my purebred dog,from reputable,responsible breeders.
Page 28 of 53 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »