Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm finding it hard to find any published stats online but I have looked. I might give my local police station a call for advice as irrespective of all the bickering, it is important to know as much as possible.

I know what you mean about the picture, I feel the same, but I also know that the percentages of fatality are significantly lower than they would be if he was loose. Don't forget I asked the traffic cop at my training last week about the safest place and he said categorically the boot, behind a dog guard or rear seat with harness.
Yes but the safest place for who - the driver or the dog? It sounds to me like they say that the safest place for the dog to be is the boot because that makes it safer for the driver and therefore keeps their road fatalities figures down because dogs aren't slamming into the back of front seats and killing drivers.

Just a thought.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately I think most of it focuses on human safety.

The main points, as far as I'm concerned are the physics of a dog travelling toward an object (back seat, front seat, you) during an accident at speed. The impact on dog and human will be much less if the dog is restrained.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Slightly but i'd still like to know how many accidents a year involve an unrestrained dog or the percentage of all reported accidents that involve and unrestrained dog.

Also, to be honest looking at some of the pictures on the second link it makes me really not want to keep my dog in the boot.

That guy in the top picture had a crate and reckons that is what saved his dog and he spent £640 on it. Nice if you can afford it. I can't afford a £640 crate, my car probably isn't big enough to get one that would be comfortable for Monty and i don't want to put Monty in one because it would stress him.

So if that crate is what saved the dog and i restrained Monty in the boot with a dog guard and i had a similar accident then Monty would be dead and i'd be wishing I did what I always did and let him sit on the folded down back seats.
Tbh I couldn't afford that either, I think though that with the amount of restraints around its up to the owner to work out what would fit them and their dog the most, everyone is different, when I get my own car I'd be wanting to fet a restraint where Honey and Diesle can sit in the back seats, although I also like the lintran crates (have you looked at lintran? it may be another useful place to look http://www.lintran.co.uk/ ) it all depends on what car I get, until then though I do my best to keep the dogs safe where they are. I am very wary of what can happen to dogs as I do know that my great uncles dog died after jumping out of a window that he was allowed to look out of, so that stays in my mind, then there is the fact that a car can be hit by idiots from any angle, at any impact force, its one of them things that everyone has different ideas and different budjects, but thankfully its a market where everyone is catered for
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Haha, I wondered how long it would be before someone brought this up again I could feel it coming. As a new owner I struggled with my first ever puppy and now I have no right to an opinion on anything to do with dogs? Come on, you can do better than that!
So does that not suggest that it would be prudent to have a little more grace and diplomacy? The fact of the matter is you don't like people judging you, yet you're quite happy to do it to others. Hypocrisy if ever I saw it!

Originally Posted by Pidge
Irrespective of how patronising you think I and others have been, the links prove that what we are saying is true. But if you and others are arrogant enough to think you know better than the police on vehicle safety then off you go.
Wow, should we start calling you officer Pidge now then, sounds like you've effectively qualified yourself already! I'm perfectly happy for people to have their own opinions and make their own decisions, you on the other hand seem to assume just because others have different opinions and make different choices to yours that it makes the other person arrogant? That really does speak volumes about your attitude and it stinks to be frank.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i have no problem with dogs loose behind dog guards. I do have a intense dislike about dogs heads out of windows.

But tbh rips you are a experinced owner & im sure you have considered it fully.

Just out of curiosity how much of their heads can they stick out? (youve probaley said somewhere)

I dont know why you dont all just get a van!
I probably should have a van!

The windows are only down for the dogs to stick their heads out at 30mph, I certainly don't let them do it at national speed limits etc. I have considered it fully and I certainly wouldn't risk my dogs lives unnecessarily, I guess I just don't see it as such a high risk as many others. Isla can't really get much more than her muzzle and eyes out, Oscar's head sticks right out, but he doesn't do it as much as Isla. They know the command "Heads in!" for narrow bridges and such like.

I do understand if people don't agree with it, there are many things others do that I don't agree with - but that's life isn't it? No one person is right or wrong imo, life is just one big risk assessment!

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I don't think it is (a moot point) are you saying that you only get insurance on your car because it is illegal not to have it (which I think that having any live animal in any vechile not restrained should be, and before anythings said that is not meant to you) not becuase of the risk of being hit by another vechile (can't spell tonight) and having to fork out on repairs etc?
I have car insurance because it's illegal not to have it, I've never given it anymore thought than that.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
You guys all better stop eating Cadbury products when you see this:

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Does he have a long neck then?
I cant see how a dog (safely /yes if the above istrue i believe he is resonably safe/in a boot of a car) can put his head out of the window

You have said on this thread that he travels with his head out of the window.

Now on this that he can only see out of the window.

You confuse me, nothing ever adds up on your posts.

Dunno if its just me??????? probaley
If you dont believe me then I am more than happy to take a pic to show you!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nope add me to that confusion, earlier in the thread, Lozzi said Jake travels with hsi head out the window, yet now he is in the boot (safety if that is how he travels) was wondering myself how it has gone from head out the window to know "sniffing the air
He doesnt 'sniff the air' and he can get his head out the window. It was you who assumed that in order to do that he had to be unrestrained. Both jake, and my old boy sam, do/did this and sam was in the car every single day. Like I have said to mish, I can easily take a pic to show you.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
You guys all better stop eating Cadbury products when you see this:

That's soooo funny!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
If you dont believe me then I am more than happy to take a pic to show you!
Yes please
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2010, 05:48 AM
*Off topic posts removed*
Page 27 of 49 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 > Last »