Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Which breeds are you referring to? I free stand my bitch, she has never been "trained" at all, only one word, "stay." I dont think you need any form of clicking or other specific training to get the best from a dog. I use bait, I give her bits, she stands and stays like this:

As Jackbox said, some will free stand easily with no effort.

rune
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Which breeds are you referring to? I free stand my bitch, she has never been "trained" at all, only one word, "stay." I dont think you need any form of clicking or other specific training to get the best from a dog. I use bait, I give her bits, she stands and stays like this:

The baited breeds in gundogs, specifically the Flatcoats Dawn - its a handler thing - some work on it and get it right others just wave the food around -seen it in some dobes too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As Jackbox said, some will free stand easily with no effort.

rune

Better rephrase that, as it sounds like I meant , "no effort is needed" to get a dog in a show stance!

Show dogs are individuals, as are the handlers, some will be more obliging than others, but ALL ( or most of them) will have had ring education from a very early age.

Have never heard of anyone clicker training a show dog though to be honest, cant see where it would give you an advantage showing your dog,

If you can gain the "stance" for your breed through repetitive education from am early age, why the need to clicker train when the results are the same?? a dog in the stance you are comfortable with!

BTW Dawn, Livvy looks wonderful, she free stands well! congrats!!!!

Its also important to remember a good handler will show their dog in the stance that shows them off best.

No point free standing a dog , if its exaggerating his faults!

Some breeds need to look alert in the ring, and bait is used to gain this, but even then, some dogs will not stand if bait if put in-front of them,

Millie was that dog, show her bait, and she would creep forward, I found it best to string her,

I have a friend who shows multiple dogs, (gundogs) some she baits some she stacks and a couple she will free stand, she sometimes does the "brace" and will free stand both dogs, standing in front of them with a bit of cheese, both dogs stand beautifully.

Yet I know someone else who always stacks her dogs,

Different strokes for different folks, one does not make the other less,

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
The baited breeds in gundogs, specifically the Flatcoats Dawn - its a handler thing - some work on it and get it right others just wave the food around -seen it in some dobes too.
Try the Boxer ring food goes everywhere
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
LOL generally to the above.

Jackbox wrote

"No point free standing a dog , if its exaggerating his faults!"

Did you ought to rephrase that as well or are you actually saying that judges won't notice a dogs faults when it is being 'placed' and hung onto by a handler?

rune
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Better rephrase that, as it sounds like I meant , "no effort is needed" to get a dog in a show stance!

Show dogs are individuals, as are the handlers, some will be more obliging than others, but ALL ( or most of them) will have had ring education from a very early age.

Have never heard of anyone clicker training a show dog though to be honest, cant see where it would give you an advantage showing your dog,

If you can gain the "stance" for your breed through repetitive education from am early age, why the need to clicker train when the results are the same?? a dog in the stance you are comfortable with!

BTW Dawn, Livvy looks wonderful, she free stands well! congrats!!!!

Its also important to remember a good handler will show their dog in the stance that shows them off best.

No point free standing a dog , if its exaggerating his faults!

Some breeds need to look alert in the ring, and bait is used to gain this, but even then, some dogs will not stand if bait if put in-front of them,

Millie was that dog, show her bait, and she would creep forward, I found it best to string her,

I have a friend who shows multiple dogs, (gundogs) some she baits some she stacks and a couple she will free stand, she sometimes does the "brace" and will free stand both dogs, standing in front of them with a bit of cheese, both dogs stand beautifully.

Yet I know someone else who always stacks her dogs,

Different strokes for different folks, one does not make the other less,

Try the Boxer ring food goes everywhere

LOL - not had that pleasure yet!

I agree that a well trained free stood dog is lovely - and of course work goes into achieving it - similiarly training of course goes into stacking a dog - it isn't something they just do either

I love the brace classes btw - such fun and can be very entertaining
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL generally to the above.

Jackbox wrote

"No point free standing a dog , if its exaggerating his faults!"

Did you ought to rephrase that as well or are you actually saying that judges won't notice a dogs faults when it is being 'placed' and hung onto by a handler?

rune
Nope, its as it says.

When a judge looks at a line up, he will (before) he puts his hands on a dog, look down the line, he will clock in his mind what he likes and what he does not,

Second stage, all dogs move round the ring,

Third, judge looks at dogs individually, put his hands on the dog (will root out any conformation fault with feel) he will the move said dog to see how it moves.

You ever heard the expression "first impressions"!

That's what one does in the first stage of the show, when you are all standing the dogs.

If a judge has two equal dogs,(and needs to chose) one has been stood well and one has not, then he is going to pick the one that was more pleasing on the eye!!

Hence show a dog off badly allow his faults to be the first thign the judge sees, it may be the thing that stops your dog getting placed!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
But that is a good thing surely? You don't want dogs with such obvious faults winning anyway.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
LOL - not had that pleasure yet!

I agree that a well trained free stood dog is lovely - and of course work goes into achieving it - similiarly training of course goes into stacking a dog - it isn't something they just do either
I love the brace classes btw - such fun and can be very entertaining
I agree, some dogs though are more obliging that others

Most peopel will start training around 12/15 wks old.

A nice story though is a young girl we know, got her first Vizsla , an other friend has persuaded her to show him (he is a lovely boy) he is 7mths old, so a very late starter , and as such can be a bit of a prat. she is getting there with him, but he will be allowed some puppy licence by the judge , she took him to a champ show last weekend and got 2rd in MP..

Judge took her aside and had a word with her, told her she needs to "work" on him, as he is very nice, so first show , she qualifies for Crufts..needless to say she is chuffed to death!

A long road to go, as his antics wont be tolerated as he gets older
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
No , I dont think there is a rule to say you cant take a clicker in the ring, but I can imagine other exhibitors may find it a bit off, if it distracts other dogs!
One of the top kennels in our breed like to use squeaky toys to get the dogs attention while in the line up! what a pain that can be for alot of us..

I use bait, I give her bits, she stands and stays like this:
She is a dream Dawn. Ours always want to please us, and all free stand (most of the time - they can have days where they be little gits!) One of our girls is a b*gger to stand on the table and will do twirls, give the judge kisses and god knows what else if she could, unless I hold her head up with the lead.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree, some dogs though are more obliging that others

Most peopel will start training around 12/15 wks old.

A nice story though is a young girl we know, got her first Vizsla , an other friend has persuaded her to show him (he is a lovely boy) he is 7mths old, so a very late starter , and as such can be a bit of a prat. she is getting there with him, but he will be allowed some puppy licence by the judge , she took him to a champ show last weekend and got 2rd in MP..

Judge took her aside and had a word with her, told her she needs to "work" on him, as he is very nice, so first show , she qualifies for Crufts..needless to say she is chuffed to death!

A long road to go, as his antics wont be tolerated as he gets older
Oh well done to her - I bet she is chuffed - my first show dog Max I didn't start showing until he was 14m! Took a long time and he still prats around - although he much prefers agility now

Connor is a dream to show - although does have the off fidget feet day! Think he does it for his own amusement lol!
Page 27 of 35 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »