Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I believe that she posted while I was typing. But then in all the years I have owned dogs, albeit with a long gap between those I had when I lived in England and my late Little One who I rescued in April 1998, the only ones I had to have euthanised were not taken to the Vet - he came to my home.

I promised my Little One that I would never let her suffer and she did not. She went to sleep on 21 January last year, cuddled up to me, and died in her sleep about 4.30am. Not ill, not in pain, and just one month short of her 12th birthday. But had it been necessary Dr Ram would have come here to euthanise her.

Pereg has had the same promise from me, and as she is epileptic is is possible that I might have to make that decision for her. But if and when that happens, Ram will come here.

And BS"D it will not be for a long time.
I agree with the above,and given the circumstances, at home would be the best option.

But you said in an earlier post.

And nobody in their right mind would euthanize a pet by cutting it's throat, because it was bred to be a pet [or a working dog] and not bred for food.
As has been said, by SB, someone would chose that method.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I believe that she posted while I was typing. But then in all the years I have owned dogs, albeit with a long gap between those I had when I lived in England and my late Little One who I rescued in April 1998, the only ones I had to have euthanised were not taken to the Vet - he came to my home.

I promised my Little One that I would never let her suffer and she did not. She went to sleep on 21 January last year, cuddled up to me, and died in her sleep about 4.30am. Not ill, not in pain, and just one month short of her 12th birthday. But had it been necessary Dr Ram would have come here to euthanise her.

Pereg has had the same promise from me, and as she is epileptic is is possible that I might have to make that decision for her. But if and when that happens, Ram will come here.

And BS"D it will not be for a long time.

Insh'allah!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Smokey bear you say you would euthanize a dog, by having its throat cut, over taking it to the vet.

Here's a question for you...........have you done it to one of your pet dogs!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I would prefer its throat to be slit in situ to taking it to the vets where it could be in its home surroundings, amongst nature where they preferred to be and as relaxed as possible where they had not previous negative experiences as all animals have at the vets, even if they only get jabbed.
I have never taken a dog to the vet to be pts except one who was in the back of a car---since he lived in a car for many years he loved to be there. Also Rusty because he needed to see his owner in the home and he wasn't taken into the vets but was outside in the garden there.

My dogs are pts eating a pepperami stick or pate off a pepperami stick and are as relaxed as I can make them at home.

No reason to take a dog in to be pts.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:39 PM
All decisons have to be made according to the individual and other factors but overall yes.
I really dont believe you said that. I know we differ on lots of things - this is way way over the top SB - i am saddened, annoyed, angry - in fact im lost for words....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have never taken a dog to the vet to be pts except one who was in the back of a car---since he lived in a car for many years he loved to be there. Also Rusty because he needed to see his owner in the home and he wasn't taken into the vets but was outside in the garden there.

My dogs are pts eating a pepperami stick or pate off a pepperami stick and are as relaxed as I can make them at home.

rune
Absolutely.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Really - and what if the vet wont come out....are you sitting there in judgement of all the rest of us who take our dogs to the vet - this really is a thread that is bringing skeletons out of the cupboard ...

Incidently our boy loves going to the vets

You have NO RIGHT to sit in judgement
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Absolutely.
Typical - sad sad sad
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As has been said, by SB, someone would chose that method.
And as she also said:

I would prefer its throat to be slit in situ to taking it to the vets where it could be in its home surroundings, amongst nature where they preferred to be and as relaxed as possible where they had not previous negative experiences
which quite possibly could make a difference at the time.

I do not believe that she would routinely want a pet's throat slit.

But is this really not going off topic? Because euthanising a beloved pet is hardly the same as Halal or Kasher slaughtering, is it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Just out of curiosity here's a hypothetical situation for those who do not see a problem with unstunned halal meat. If your pet was terminally ill and you had the choice of taking it to the vets to be pts or a qualified slaughter person slitting its throat without stunning it, assuming that there was no legal reason that you could not chose either option, which option would you choose and why? Just curious
Very good point Majuka!

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
It's not just the red meat though Azz, don't forget about the rest - chickens are fantastic individuals too (not that I'm biased or anything )
Lol, but at least the videos I saw of the chickens getting stunned seemed to 'work' (guess because they are smaller). Was quite hit n miss with the larger animals though.

I would prefer its throat to be slit in situ to taking it to the vets where it could be in its home surroundings, amongst nature where they preferred to be and as relaxed as possible where they had not previous negative experiences as all animals have at the vets, even if they only get jabbed.

I'm pretty sure the options were like for like (ie both offered at home or both away) BUT even if it wasn't, I would still rather go to the vets than have my dogs throat slit

Er yes I realise there is a difference! And yes when shot animals are dead before they hit the ground, much like halal slaughter (as I have witnessed it).
Of course it does, because you believe that having the throat cut is not a humane way of despatching animals, whereas I believe that it is.
I'm sorry Smokey, but you really are kidding yourself. Death by having your jugular cut is not instant. If you are in _any_ doubt please see the last video I posted where they haven't tied the animals legs.

-------------------

This is one of the things that saddens me about most religions - that people will just stand by (or worse, defend or do) atrocious things in the name of religion.
Page 26 of 41 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »