Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well I am not sure what you were paying out for but for us despite being on low wages the vet fee was worth it to us as Duncan was our priority at the time. Sadly gone now still really missed the little monster.
Yup - I understand what you are saying. We recently had to pay out £1,000 in vet fees because Tai had swallowed a plastic tray containing fat for the birds. We are still paying off the OD plus vast amounts of interest
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I cannot believe I have just read this.

So you are telling me that with a wolf cross like Ben - a dog who has either been abused, or people have been frightened of him and let him do what he wants - you are saying that with reward training, or clicker training for instance you would only EVER have to give ONE treat to train a perfect recall, or use a rattle bottle or a clicker just ONCE to train a perfect recall?

Ben NOW has a perfect recall. Between that first perfect recall, when he was zapped once, and he came straight to us, he has had one or two mishaps - one which involved a deer. He and Tai were well on the hunt, and both dogs ignored the "Come". It was repeated, and Tai stopped and came back, but Ben didn't so he had to have a zap. he stopped instantly and came back. I do not call that a fail.

Clearly YOU know nothing about dogs or dog training

I wasn't the one saying I had perfect recall after one zap or training session. Training is an on going thing we start almost day one by the time we put a lead on for first walk we have them used to a harness and walking around the flat with a lead attached, we do sit stay and paw giving every evening even at 12 Mollie still does this as she loves the game. We use gentle methods with treats and toys.

I am not the one with the problem dog here BTW mine are not having to wear an electronic device and I am not afraid they could go after another dog or person. So I think my training methods may be working fine for my two.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Ben does NOT need to stay on a lead. He needs to be trained to be less aggressive and to get over his hatred of black dogs.
You keep saying that the collar was to get him to recall and now it is aggression especially with black dogs. Please make you mind up what you are trying to do with the collar.

I don't care what anyone says, it is what I think that is important. Ben is my dog, and I will not condemn him to a life on the lead. It would be the height of cruelty. I will not do it, I would rather put him down than do that to him. I don't care whether you or anyone else thinks its perfectly OK to keep a dog like Ben on a lead all his life, the important thing is I don't think it is OK, and even more importantly than me, Ben would not think it is OK whatsoever. He would become even more aggressive with other dogs, not less so
This is a public forum, when you post you are leaving yourself open to get other opinions so don't get mad at us because YOU posted something that others didn't like and have told you.

I am definitely going to ask our friend in the village for his kind co-operation with his BL. There are two reasons for this ... 1) the dog is a very large, strong boy, capable of standing up to Ben without being frightened, or without being traumatised. and 2) the issue we have is mainly with male black labradors, therefore the precise breed I want to use is a black labrador. There would be little point in using a breed that Ben has no issues with.
Another show of lack of understanding of how a dog's mind works and how they learn, aggressive methods leads to more aggression, it is the same with us humans, if someone is aggressive to us we are often aggressive back. Caning has been banned from schools because it caused more problems than it solved, smacking a child is now condemned because it doesn't sort the problem but can cause more problems and so on.

The last thing in the world I want is for a dog to be psychologically damaged because of Ben's aggressiveness. he will of course be under control on his lead, and unable to inflict any injury, but his level of aggressive towards black labradors is such that they can be traumatised psychologically even though Ben cannot touch them.
What a load of rubbish, of course dogs can be traumatised when another dog shows them aggression even when the dog can't get to him.

I know how much everybody loves CM, so i will use one of his phrases to describe Ben - he is a classic red zoner. The red mist comes down when he meets a male BL.
There is nothing special in that, many dogs do it, I have had several but by learning to understand my dog, taking the trouble to work out why they are like that and then putting into practice both training and management I have turned them round. These dogs were every bit as bad as his red zone dogs, in fact Grace was a lot worse than any dog I have seen him deal with.

Another point to CM, he winds the dogs up before the filming to make them be a lot worse than they are and according to some friends in the USA approximately 90% of the dogs he deals with have to be pts because their aggression becomes worse.

By Mr Castle - do you mean Lou Castle? He is an extremely nice man, and has been very helpful with my husband in the use of the dogtra. I very much hope he DOES find this thread.
You have been listening to him, you believe everything he says so he will be nice, that is normal human behaviour but disagree with him and you will find a very nasty man.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I wasn't the one saying I had perfect recall after one zap or training session. Training is an on going thing we start almost day one by the time we put a lead on for first walk we have them used to a harness and walking around the flat with a lead attached, we do sit stay and paw giving every evening even at 12 Mollie still does this as she loves the game. We use gentle methods with treats and toys.

I am not the one with the problem dog here BTW mine are not having to wear an electronic device and I am not afraid they could go after another dog or person. So I think my training methods may be working fine for my two.
Yup and mine are working for me.

And I did have perfect recall after just one zap - you have not answered my point about how many treats you would need to give to achieve the same thing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You keep saying that the collar was to get him to recall and now it is aggression especially with black dogs. Please make you mind up what you are trying to do with the collar.

This is a public forum, when you post you are leaving yourself open to get other opinions so don't get mad at us because YOU posted something that others didn't like and have told you.

Another show of lack of understanding of how a dog's mind works and how they learn, aggressive methods leads to more aggression, it is the same with us humans, if someone is aggressive to us we are often aggressive back. Caning has been banned from schools because it caused more problems than it solved, smacking a child is now condemned because it doesn't sort the problem but can cause more problems and so on.

What a load of rubbish, of course dogs can be traumatised when another dog shows them aggression even when the dog can't get to him.

There is nothing special in that, many dogs do it, I have had several but by learning to understand my dog, taking the trouble to work out why they are like that and then putting into practice both training and management I have turned them round. These dogs were every bit as bad as his red zone dogs, in fact Grace was a lot worse than any dog I have seen him deal with.

Another point to CM, he winds the dogs up before the filming to make them be a lot worse than they are and according to some friends in the USA approximately 90% of the dogs he deals with have to be pts because their aggression becomes worse.

You have been listening to him, you believe everything he says so he will be nice, that is normal human behaviour but disagree with him and you will find a very nasty man.
EXACTLY!! That is just what I said!! I do not want a dog to be psychologically traumatised because Ben has shown intense aggression towards him - that is EXACTLY what I meant - jeez, I am beginning to get very annoyed, but am trying not to!!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Look - I have said this about one million times and I am getting fed up with it, as you must be reading it!!
You keep contradicting yourself so we are trying to work out just why.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, worked in trying to train a reliable recall with Ben.
So now we are back to the recall, with positive training you never reach the end in training methods, there is always something else to try so saying you tried everything isn't true, you didn't know anything else to try which is why you went for the collar. Yes you tried behaviourists/trainers but obviously they were not up to the job. There is always something if you look hard enough.

So - we had the choice of:

1. Keeping him on the lead for the rest of his life.

2. Buying a rig and working him in harness.

the first option is an absolute no no for me and for my husband. Neither of us would condemn a dog like Ben to a life on the lead - end of.
So it is you and your husband who are against keeping Ben on a lead, you have never tried it.

the second question is out of the question because a rig costs a bally fortune and we cannnot afford to buy a rig, a vehicle to carry it in and the harness. It would costs thousands.
Then why get a dog with needs you couldn't meet? There are always other ways, you said yourself that your dogs will go with a bike quite happily so why not exercise with a bike, it might mean taking the dogs out one at a time but I take my 4 dogs out in 3 lots every day because their needs are different.

So we were faced with the option of trying an e collar, or euthanasia. We chose an e collar and we now have a beautiful, happy, healthy, fit, active bundle of joy instead of a miserable, under-exercised, fat and most likely aggressive lump. OH at 64 is too old and too busy to be able to spend the time each day that he would have to do to be able to exercise Ben on the lead sufficiently.
64 isn't old, I am 71 and have an auntie who is 104.

So according to you we need to put a shock collar on our dogs so they can be beautiful, happy, healthy, fit, active bundles of joy, I must tell Bonnie that, at 9 years old she is still like a puppy, full of energy and keeps up with a 4 year old Staffy.

None of my dogs are fat, in fact Cyril is on the lean side, he would look better with a little bit more flesh on him but that won't happen.

Rehoming was not an option, Ben was far too much of a liability to palm him off on anyone else, even someone with experience of ****** up wolf crosses.

No-one will ever persuade me that we have done the wrong thing, no-one. We have absolutely done the right thing, and I can bet a pound to a squashy orange there are as many supporters of what we did on Dogsey as there are antis - they are just too wimpy to come out in public and say they agree with me, for fear of what they would be subjected to.
I am not trying to persuade you but am hoping to help others who may think about trying one of these collars make their minds up to use positive training.

So now you are resorting to insulting some of the members, that says a lot.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You keep contradicting yourself so we are trying to work out just why.

So now we are back to the recall, with positive training you never reach the end in training methods, there is always something else to try so saying you tried everything isn't true, you didn't know anything else to try which is why you went for the collar. Yes you tried behaviourists/trainers but obviously they were not up to the job. There is always something if you look hard enough.

So it is you and your husband who are against keeping Ben on a lead, you have never tried it.

Then why get a dog with needs you couldn't meet? There are always other ways, you said yourself that your dogs will go with a bike quite happily so why not exercise with a bike, it might mean taking the dogs out one at a time but I take my 4 dogs out in 3 lots every day because their needs are different.

64 isn't old, I am 71 and have an auntie who is 104.

So according to you we need to put a shock collar on our dogs so they can be beautiful, happy, healthy, fit, active bundles of joy, I must tell Bonnie that, at 9 years old she is still like a puppy, full of energy and keeps up with a 4 year old Staffy.

None of my dogs are fat, in fact Cyril is on the lean side, he would look better with a little bit more flesh on him but that won't happen.

I am not trying to persuade you but am hoping to help others who may think about trying one of these collars make their minds up to use positive training.

So now you are resorting to insulting some of the members, that says a lot.
No - YOU are resorting to insults!! You know NOTHING about me, and yet you have jumped to the conclusion that we "got" Ben as if we chose him, or bought him. We most certainly did neither. We were FORCED to take him on because as son of our old wolf cross Hal, we felt morally obliged to try and turn him around and give him a good home if at all possible. We most certainly did not want to give him a home, we already had Tai and he was quite enough for us.

But had we not rescued Ben, he would have to have been put down. His owner was in hospital for several weeks having had to have a splenectomy. His boss was looking after Ben, but Ben kept trying to kill his JRTs who kept provoking him, and he said that he would have to destroy the dog unless we took him on whilst our friend was in hospital. This we did, but it was several months before he was fit enough to take Ben back. By which time, Ben and Tai had bonded and our friend decided he didn't want to split them up and asked us to keep him. So we did.

You really must not assume scenarios. Believe me, only idiots like us would have even been prepared to give Ben a chance. He was a true red zoner.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:05 PM
You had better tell this to Ben then, because clearly he totally disagrees with you.
I can't Ben doesn't understand English only dog language so no point in trying to tell him.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Yup and mine are working for me.

And I did have perfect recall after just one zap - you have not answered my point about how many treats you would need to give to achieve the same thing.

Why does it matter the treats are benign and doing no harm.

Mollie got sit stay etc really fast she loved toys and food so would do anything for them, Betty watched Mollie and pretty much got what we wanted her to do straight away.

Recall for Mollie was quite fast too she likes to know where we are so always came back when called only her dementia has stopped that and it's sad to see her panic when she can't find us so she stays on a lead now. Betty has about zero recall because we haven't worked on it with her, she is too small to allow to run free I would worry bigger dogs could hurt her even the coots could do her harm at the lake so no off lead for her.

I am sure she would get it quite fast if we trained her though as she is very bright and even on lead watches for us every few yards.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:08 PM
You had better tell this to Ben then, because clearly he totally disagrees with you.
I can't Ben doesn't understand English only dog language so no point in trying to tell him.

I may be wrong but I have a vague recollection of Lou Castle saying that, dogs run back to their owner for safety and is why he used the collar for recall.
Page 26 of 44 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »