Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorted thanks!

When I showed Ceilidh she wasn't chest clipped at all, just under her ears a bit to help them drop.

I left her head free but held her tail up.

I was shocked rigid by the way the kids werte taught to show at the KCJO (as it was then) camp. They were stringing them up all over the shop! I agree loose is nicer.

rune
I still don't clip ANYWHERE and won't! I hate seeing an overclipped setter esp. Gordons who should not be clipped at all! The same look can be achieved with thinning scissors on ears and chest! I know someone who clips the head and you can see the clipper marks - hate it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I still don't clip ANYWHERE and won't! I hate seeing an overclipped setter esp. Gordons who should not be clipped at all! The same look can be achieved with thinning scissors on ears and chest! I know someone who clips the head and you can see the clipper marks - hate it!
Its bad clipping in some breeds now, do you know its even been done in Borders!! Under their tummy/chest, why??? Thankfully it appears a short lived process!

Ive seen it do a huge degree in Afghans too, who shouldnt have their coats touched, its once more a US/Continental thing creeping in, STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its bad clipping in some breeds now, do you know its even been done in Borders!! Under their tummy/chest, why??? Thankfully it appears a short lived process!

Ive seen it do a huge degree in Afghans too, who shouldnt have their coats touched, its once more a US/Continental thing creeping in, STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!!
I never understand people who get a coated breed and then proceed to clip including pet homes. I know the older dogs it can be kinder to clip and to some extent I guess I'd rather a clipped pet dog than a matted ungroomed dog but in the show world its just trying to cut corners!

I agree its a US thing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
When I said not looking at how the dog was shown I meant that it doesn't matter if you teach your dog to trot with its head up or use a lead to keep the head up---the result for the judge is the same.

Same with free standing.

You don't have to show any dog by holding it, you can clicker the show stand and even the tail carriage.rune
I take it you mean, before you enter the ring and not while you are not in the ring?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I take it you mean, before you enter the ring and not while you are not in the ring?
I think (not sure) she means to train as in at home - is there a rule says you can't take a clicker in the ring anyway? Not that many would.

Now might be going of topic but a well trained free stood dog of course can look lovely but the baited freestood are can be so focussed on the food the outline of the dog just can't be seen - it must drive some judges crazy trying to see the dogs outline whilst its trying to grab the food and won't stand still.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Of course---like in any other sport you clicker for.

Advantage in showing is that you are allowed food/toys in the ring.

The clicker needn't be used after you have taught anything---unless you want to reinforce it.

You don't actually need a clicker anyway---you could substitute a clicker word.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I think (not sure) she means to train as in at home - is there a rule says you can't take a clicker in the ring anyway? Not that many would.

Now might be going of topic but a well trained free stood dog of course can look lovely but the baited freestood are can be so focussed on the food the outline of the dog just can't be seen - it must drive some judges crazy trying to see the dogs outline whilst its trying to grab the food and won't stand still.
Thats why its better to clicker it I expect. Then you have the postition for a length of time.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I never understand people who get a coated breed and then proceed to clip including pet homes. I know the older dogs it can be kinder to clip and to some extent I guess I'd rather a clipped pet dog than a matted ungroomed dog but in the show world its just trying to cut corners!

I agree its a US thing.
I liked the idea of a puli character but I wouldn't want the hassle of the coat and I'd hate to clip it off---sort of wrong somehow.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2010, 05:55 PM
No , I dont think there is a rule to say you cant take a clicker in the ring, but I can imagine other exhibitors may find it a bit off, if it distracts other dogs!

I also agree with the second highlighted, baiting a food obsessed dog could be a nightmare in the ring.

The crux of the matter is , no matter what way you show your chosen breed/dog, as long as you do it to the best of your ability and show the dog off to his, what does it matter the way you do it!!

The object of the exersice is to show your dog off to his best, different breeds have different ways but even then individuality will out, chose the way that suits you and your dog, and go for it!!

Of course---like in any other sport you clicker for.

Advantage in showing is that you are allowed food/toys in the ring.

The clicker needn't be used after you have taught anything---unless you want to reinforce it.

You don't actually need a clicker anyway---you could substitute a clicker word.
rune
True, but you can use a world to put your dog in a show stance without the use of a clicker.

Not everyone in the ring is an expert handler, we dont follow the US trend of professional handlers, most people here do it themselves, some are professional,(been doing it for yrs) others are pet/hobby exhibitors, and as such will/may need to be a little more hands on when showing to show their dog off to its best.

Free standing (depending on the breed) can be extremely hard to achieve, a bad or inexperienced handler, could ruin a good dog in the ring, if they try something they are not capable of.

Also depends on the dog, some will free stand easily with no effort, some are fidgets, some need to be stacked, strung, to show themselves off well.

Have said it before, what does it matter what way the dog is shown, as long as it is shown well!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Which breeds are you referring to? I free stand my bitch, she has never been "trained" at all, only one word, "stay." I dont think you need any form of clicking or other specific training to get the best from a dog. I use bait, I give her bits, she stands and stays like this:

Page 26 of 35 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »