Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
hehe We call that "coffee break" in this house. Try as I might, I really can't take the tests seriously at all, regardless of who does them.
I know what you mean, I'm the same!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by cuzbull View Post
Saffy is gorgeous,:smt007 boy could she run, she was like a little whirlwind. She seemed to really enjoy finding and retrieving the toy.
Yes, I really enjoyed watching that. She is very sweet and a bright little dog
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2006, 11:08 PM
well after all the excitement, off to bed!

Glad we didnt come across too badly, and didnt show us moaning about the judge thank god!!

Really makes you realise how much of the training they dont show - in our case none! more about mic falling in love!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-11-2006, 02:04 AM
At last we get to see what our famous Dogsey Members look like

I thought it was a good show, and again, I was impressed by how much all participants loved their dogs

I did think it was cruel of Mick to make you wear those silly clothes, no comparison to the nice gear you got for your dog (for the record I don't see anything wrong with it so long as it is not uncomfortable for the dogs in anway and/or does not affect any other aspect of the dogs health).

I must admit to being a little shocked to see how much 'life' and energy she had!! I always thought of pugs as lap dogs, not athletes!

You do know now she probably has a fan club forming as we speak... and your blog is calling for some super pug action We want to know how you are getting on! (See another great reason to start our own blog section).

I thought the other two dogs did great as well, which is the great thing about these shows, at least they are helping the dogs that go on there if nothing elss. (Least all the ones I've senn anyway, oh except the one time when it was prob more an owner fault than the trainers...)
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2006, 11:08 AM
The clothes was all part of us treating her like a dog - they have fur, so they dont get cold. So lex was made to dress up so she knew how it felt. Yes, it was partly for the 'entertainment' of it, but i think it got the point across

It was good that they did the agility stuff actually - keen to let people know there pugs shouldn't just be exercised, but actually work. Same for them showing some of the seeking work she was doing. Absolutely loves it, and actually looking to move house so we can do it in the confines of the garden to keep on top of the recall too.

But watching her run to the A-team theme tune was the highlight for me!
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2006, 12:54 PM
While I was watching Dog Borstel for the first time last night, I had to explain to my mum why we don't use negative training methods on our own 12 week old puppy! I'm afraid shows like this may encourage owners of otherwise quite well behaved dogs to use negative training methods before they've even tried the positive ones because they miss the fact most that of these are last resort techniques.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-11-2006, 01:09 PM
On the other side though, it demonstrates that the owners are normally the ones at fault, and not the dogs. That's something that has been consistant throughout the show.

In all honesty I would prefer people to at least 'know about' the methods on DB than not know anything at all - which unfortunately is something that I fear is pretty widespread (again something the show highlights).

At the end of the day it's all about education (or lack off). And I wish there was some kind of compulsory scheme that prospective dog owners had to go through to learn at least the basics

AJL - they can still be treated like a dog, but I guess it depends on how long they are being made to wear the clothes? Not all day everyday? (maybe I'm naieve, but I thought they'd only put them on on 'special occasions' or 'going out' days )
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2006, 01:37 PM
ONly put them on cold walks to be honest, but apparently does more harm than good as doesnt allow the coat to properly go through the cycles of seasons, and so shed at the wrong timesof year and so on
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2006, 02:06 PM
My partner says I'm Mic, but just not so rude. Soon as I saw the dog with clothing on, I could be heard to give my usual "Oh, for .... sakes". I certainly do share the vast majority of his views, and I'm working on the rudeness.

Can't think why but I found last night's show a little boring, or flat is perhaps a better word. Possibly because it was two little dogs, and I'm really not a little dog person at all.

That said, I think everyone did really well. Like Azz states, I don't think DB has ever really been about training the dogs, so much as training the owners.

P.S. If they don't soon give Mic a 'proper dog' - GSD, I'm going to be putting pen to paper and sending it the BBC's way.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Yes I guess so @ AJL... but I didn't think your partner was the excessive type. In fact I though she handled Micks, er *coughs, cos I know he comes here* rudeness quite well. Mick if you are listening/reading then you need to sort that production team out, they're editing you out to be Mr Not-so-nice-guy I know you are a complicated/nice/funny chap, but don't pick on people - not everyone is as informed as you, and everyone has to start out somewhere

*runs from Micks big black boots!*

Seriously though, there's still too much cussing going on - most of us watch it because of the dogs, not the dramatics.

Maz - they did give Mick a big dog, remember that gorgeous Rottie he fell in love with?
Page 25 of 45 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 > Last »