Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Interesting article. Kind of says what a few of us have been saying here for quite a while
Dominant and submissive behaviour exists - but and individual is not born totaly dominant or sub, but with a tendency to be more confident and pushy and depending on how sucessful their behaviour is depends whether they are more likely to do it again
exactly ...they do what works for them !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
well said!! It makes me said when people just think a dog is 'submissive' and dont see the need to help build their confidence up

Why do we have to be careful??
Scientists change and adapt their beliefs all the time as the evidence of their experients and observations show their origonal ideas to be false
I would be more careful if he saw evidence that his intial ideas where wrong - but then sat with his hands over his ears going 'the world is flat the world is flat'
I don't agree, I know what you're saying and I accept that of course scientists will adapt, grow, change, but we do need to be very suspicious when someone denies what they saw, and denies their interpretation at the time of what they saw in such a radically different way to how they see and interpret now. Anyone can "make a mistake", have a change of view, but DM in my opinion is just ridiculous.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Well Einstein had it right!

rune
Absolutely! There is never a day that goes by when I don't learn something. Trouble is, as I get older, I then forget earlier stuff that I've learned!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I don't agree, I know what you're saying and I accept that of course scientists will adapt, grow, change, but we do need to be very suspicious when someone denies what they saw, and denies their interpretation at the time of what they saw in such a radically different way to how they see and interpret now. Anyone can "make a mistake", have a change of view, but DM in my opinion is just ridiculous.
hmm,or is it just u dont want to hear it.......
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hmm,or is it just u dont want to hear it.......
Absolutely not, it would be a very boring world if one only wanted to hear what one wanted to hear.

My ears are always open ... and I will always listen. Whether I choose to accept or not, is my business and my right in a democratic world.

I just cannot accept DM's volte face as being pure and without any ulterior motive.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
As we get more knowledgeable in a subject, we often change our first/early interpretations of what we observed or learned. A pretty basic example is that I once was terrified of dogs. It came from my mother who isn't particularly fond of them and when I was bitten at 4 years old, my beliefs became set - all dogs are dangerous!!!!

As I got older, met more dogs I learned that there were some very nice dogs around. As I got older still, I got my own dogs. Older still and I got hooked on dogs so much that I was a professional dog trainer/behaviourist and went on to get a degree in animal training and behaviour.

My views have certainly changed over the years as have my interpretations of what I see dogs do. The more I learn about how their brain and body works, the more I continually challenge my thoughts.

As in all things, the more you observe, the more you prove or disprove your own theories. If views didn't change the more we observed, that would be very strange/ridiculous indeed.

I don't for one minute believe that anyone who corrects their earlier beliefs has any other ulterior motive than that of explaining why their original beliefs may have been incorrect and what their current thinking is.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
The problem he has had - which many people in this field have had trouble with
It when he first observed the wolves he was LOOKING for and expecting alpha behaviour

Everyone simply believed the work that had gone before and so were looking for domnance as the motivation for things
But they were never thinking of any other reasons for the bhaviour

he is not saying he didnt see what he seen - rather that his interpritation of what he saw was biased and simplistic

What he has done is very brave - he admited a mistake
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 09:04 AM
The problem he has had - which many people in this field have had trouble with
It when he first observed the wolves he was LOOKING for and expecting alpha behaviour

Everyone simply believed the work that had gone before and so were looking for domnance as the motivation for things
But they were never thinking of any other reasons for the bhaviour

he is not saying he didnt see what he seen - rather that his interpritation of what he saw was biased and simplistic

What he has done is very brave - he admited a mistake
Good post, again, Ben. This is how I see it too. It's not easy to find other reasons for behaviour when one is "trained" to see one particular way of doing things.

I really dont think there is any kind of ulterior motive, Gnasher - he is a true scientist and would not have one (and anyway what could it be? ).

I think he's very honest and simply saying it how he saw it, and now, sees it

Interpretation is everything and sometimes it is only possible to interpret correctly after continual openness and learning ....

Wys
x
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Good post, again, Ben. This is how I see it too. It's not easy to find other reasons for behaviour when one is "trained" to see one particular way of doing things.

I really dont think there is any kind of ulterior motive, Gnasher - he is a true scientist and would not have one (and anyway what could it be? ).
scientists and doctors throughout history have dismissed discoveries that have not fitted with convention. Today as much as before.

I think he's very honest and simply saying it how he saw it, and now, sees it

Interpretation is everything and sometimes it is only possible to interpret correctly after continual openness and learning ....

Wys
x
i agree that dog hierarchy is fluid and not rigid. One leads in some things and another in another. But the idea that dogs do not try and dominate one another, i can not buy.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:42 AM
The studies done on wild wolves are interesting but irrelevant when comparing to CAPTIVE dog groups.

Studies done on CAPTIVE wolves have more relervance.

rune
Page 25 of 30 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »