Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
a.... very often they are not sensible like you and other knowledgeable peeps are,

b... often it brings it more to the front and leads to more obsessive behaviors imo.

im thinking more of the pet owners that say 'oh he loves to chase his ball' and arnt actually looking at their strung out obsessive looking dog and thinking theres something there that needs to be channeled and controlled ....... i know what i mean lol.
I think I know what you mean...but I think also people know that if they do not use a ball they will have other issues. Because the ball chasing gets the dog a) focused on them and b) some form of physical exercise and c) the dog has the appearance of enjoying the game they do not see it as an issue.
I have no problem with Ball chasing if it prevents other dangerous activities the dog might choose if the ball was not present. I don't like it (control freak) - but it is a safer option.

ETA - I spent a lot of time developing Sirens Ball obsession
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Adrenaline junkies...........
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Adrenaline junkies...........
Yep........Who'd have collies hey??
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
What a great idea for a thread! Not read all of the posts but enjoyed looking at the photos!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Another page to save to read later, thanks Alice I haven't time this afternoon as I have horses to sort out before taking son to nursery and of course exercising dogs I might even run on some sheep

Anyway, just quickly - this one isn't an easy one to answer for me. I think every working bred border collie should be given the chance to work on sheep in an ideal world. However, this is a far from ideal world and there are more collie pups bred than working homes for them. Therefore pet/sport homes who are dedicated and have taken the time to understand their collies (drives and instincts etc) and can put their unique abilities to good use in other ways are okay to my mind, but unfortunately there are too many pet homes in particular who just see the cute fluffy bundle, and forget what goes on between the ears

I think probably collies and springers are the two working breeds that spring (pardon the pun ) to my mind when I think of unsuitable breeds in pet homes. There seem to be an abundance. Yet when I think of "my" other breed, ie GSDs, you rarely see (so far at least) working line bred dogs in abundance in pet homes. The people who go out to specifically buy a working bred German shepherd are the sort of people who are keen to do schutzhund/working trials or train their dogs for the police/search and rescue/army etc.

I just wish more people would realise that the majority of border collies and springer spaniels don't make the ideal family/pet dog. As with everything in life, you get the exceptions, but as a general rule I think this is true.
This is an old argument for us I know but I just want to check you mean some working Springers and Collies do not suit some pet homes, right?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
This is an old argument for us I know but I just want to check you mean some working Springers and Collies do not suit some pet homes, right?
Would you reccommed a typical 2.4 working family got a working Springer? If so, or vice versa?

I would never suggest either one of those breeds for a pet home.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Would you reccommed a typical 2.4 working family got a working Springer? If so, or vice versa?

No. But there are some pet homes where it would/can work.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

What exactly is a "pet home"?

The 2.4 working family who want a dog they can walk around the block a few times and it will settle down and relax at home?

The 2 person, no kid home who leaves the dog home for only short periods of time a few times a week and who devotes much of their time to the dog, long walks, off leash play, hikes, training classes of some sort?

The family with older kids who take long walks in the park every day and go hiking on the weekends?

What exactly do you mean?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
It is not just BC that are adrenalin junkies...........
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is not just BC that are adrenalin junkies...........
but they are adrenalin junkies in a specific way....they are also bred to be exceptionally focused, if that focus isn't dealt with correctly then lots of problems can and do happen in a 'pet' home. If that energy isn't run off them...lots of problems can and do happen.

Cosmo can run as much as any BC we had...he isn't quite as focused though...much more of a thinker, planner and plotter which creates it's own issues. He is happy to sit and think about what he is about to get up to...then try to carry it out. A BC will sit and focus on something....a shadow, a light on the wall...or the noises outside that freak it...
Not describing myself very well. I don't think FCRs are good dogs for most people...but I think the same about BCs and Springers, particularly ones from working lines.
Page 25 of 30 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »