Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
2. We tried our extending lead, and then an extremely long line. Ben took absolutely no notice, we never managed to get him to come to us ONCE, he is like his father in that respect. I spent several weekends trying to get him to even vaguely come away - unless HE wanted to, and there was no set pattern, rhyme or reason for this, he would not.
And how did you do this? It sounds like you took him out into the fields where there were far too many interesting things right away and expected to recall him off of that. It's like taking a kid and telling him to pass a calculus exam when he can't even do basic addition. You set him up for failure and, big surprise! He failed.

You HAVE to start practicing recall in deadly boring places and work your way up slowly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Why would you allow the dog to chase game, then expect him not to chase sheep? Or at least stop when you tell him?

Whats wrong with a long line and road walking or using a bicycle attachment to exercise him?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

We don't I think what I may have said is that I believe in PINNING dogs to calm them. I can't remember EVER having had to pin Hal, or ben for that matter.

I NEVER use the term alpha roll - if I have, then please correct me, but I cannot believe that I would have done so. I would have said pinning if I said anything at all.
OK thanks, at least that is now cleared up. But if you have time, it would be helpful to know what you did try (I am guessing you would have tried CM techniques in some way?) and other methods you may have been recommended.

Thanks for clearing that up, though; glad to hear neither dog has been pinned.

Wys
x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
lmao so now they have even taught him..deer are ok to chase and sheep are not? get real...poor confused dog
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Ben chased a deer, not a problem, we allow our dogs to chase game. But he disappeared over the horizon and far away, despite OH's calls and whistles. So he gave him a vibrate. When there was no response, he gave him a zap, no response, so OH got worried and as he broke into a run, over the top came Ben.

Simples
Not so simple. Ben was already coming back to him when he "zapped" him. Thank GOD the collar was not on or he would have been punishing him for actually coming to him.

How can you not even see the possible fall-out from this?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why would you allow the dog to chase game, then expect him not to chase sheep? Or at least stop when you tell him?
Yes...this! Dogs cannot generalize. They can't say "Oh those animals are wild, so I can chase them, while those white fuzzy ones belong to someone and I CAN'T chase them."

If you want the dog to stop chasing sheep or running off then you need to work with him to stop chasing ALL animals.

And if you're not willing to train a recall then LONG LINE.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
No, I'm saying that they are used more widely in the US, they are not viewed with the same attitude as over here, for the main part. The same goes for some of the training methods for gundogs, the hold is taught in a very cruel way by some in the states, on a tilting table, or at least that's what we would say, but it's not perceived in the same way over there.
Actually, no. There are a select handful of people who use them over here, but most of us hate them as much as people over there do. I don't know anyone who uses a shock collar on their dog.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Ben chased a deer, not a problem, we allow our dogs to chase game. But he disappeared over the horizon and far away, despite OH's calls and whistles. So he gave him a vibrate. When there was no response, he gave him a zap, no response, so OH got worried and as he broke into a run, over the top came Ben.

Simples
But - I don't think it's legal to just allow dogs chase deer, Gnasher. It wasn't last time I looked (or am I dreaming ).

It's also very hard for a dog to return after he is on the chase (my dog will, if it comes to it). Apart from anything else, they often don't "hear" the command as their bodies and minds are so geared up to chasing.

You are asking a lot of him.... also if you allow him to chase deer, he will probably chase sheep...

Just my honest opinion.

Wys
x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

So you let a high prey driven dog chase deer then want him to come when recalled?! You can not be serious, you set your dog up to not come when recalled

Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Not so simple. Ben was already coming back to him when he "zapped" him. Thank GOD the collar was not on or he would have been punishing him for actually coming to him.

How can you not even see the possible fall-out from this?
Couldn't agree more, but nooooooooo that can't be a downfall of this device surely
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Are you kidding me? He came back for the e-collar that wasn't on? Maybe the deer was long gone by that point and he gave up the chase and came back. You don't know why he came back and it has NOTHING to do with that stupid shock collar. This has to be the worst justification for a collar I've EVER seen.

If you're not willing to use a leash, you really need to work on training a recall on this dog. It's not impossible, but it takes a little work and time, starting where it's easy to do and working your way up to the difficult things. You need to make you more interesting and exciting to be with.
what!! are you for real?? This is how the collar works, you silly sausage you. If you needed to keep zapping the poor animal, then you should stop using it. With Ben, it has worked exceedingly well, because he has only had to suffer any split second of pain TWICE.

You obviously do not know anything about my type of northern breed dogs. they have VERY high prey drives for starters, which is why most husky and mal breeders recommend that their dogs are never allowed off lead. We do not work our dogs in harness, and I happen to believe it to be very cruel to never allow dogs like mine to never run free.

The point I was making, but obviously far too obtusely for you to get, was that Ben's recall is now far better than it was. 2 weeks ago, he would have kept on chasing and chasing the deer until he either gave up, caught the deer or the deer escaped. But he chose, on his own accord, WITHOUT being buzzed or zapped, to return to his master because his master was calling him.

This is exactly what we wanted to achieve. Simples, isn't it.
Closed Thread
Page 25 of 83 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 75 > Last »