Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thanks again all of you. I'm picking her up at 6:30. Our vet only checks once in the night then not until morning which we didn't know until today I'm afraid I got a bit stroppy with the vet on the phone but did apologise later.

So, 2 choices. Transfer back to the emergency vet in Middlesbrough who will monitor all night or bring her home. We think she'll settle better at home with us. We'll give her Phenobarb when she comes home and a diazepam before bed to top it up. Hopefully with the diazepam she's had today, this will stabilise her.

What would you lot do? Bring her home? or emergency vet? I think the less stress the better and if we have to sit up all night, well so be it. xxxxx
Because we know that Loki will cluster for up to three days, whether at home or at the vets, we don't take him to the vet unless the situation becomes severe, i.e. if the fits become very frequent and it looks like he''s going to need sedating.

I give diazepam after the first, third and fifth fit, if that is necessary. Over the last few months, he has been having less fits (he used to have 13 plus), so it's not been necessary to get emergency treatment for a long time now. They have been less severe and he has recovered more quickly after each one. The vets can't do more than us at this stage and I prefer to look after him at home, because he still wants to eat and play and exercise so I think it's better for him to continue as normal unless things look as if they might become worse.

I assess the situation all the time though and am always prepared, if I see any sign that things might get out of control, that I will need to get him to the vet asap and this is something the vets have said too. Five fits sounds a lot if you're not used to having a dog that suffers from clusters but for Loki that is a relatively mild cluster. I guess it comes from experience now so I keep watching for any signs of dehydration, fatigue, an increase in the number of, and severity of, the fits then it's going to have to be off to the vets.

If there was nobody with him during the day, I'd probably play it differently though.

I hope that helps.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Because we know that Loki will cluster for up to three days, whether at home or at the vets, we don't take him to the vet unless the situation becomes severe, i.e. if the fits become very frequent and it looks like he''s going to need sedating.

I give diazepam after the first, third and fifth fit, if that is necessary. Over the last few months, he has been having less fits (he used to have 13 plus), so it's not been necessary to get emergency treatment for a long time now. They have been less severe and he has recovered more quickly after each one. The vets can't do more than us at this stage and I prefer to look after him at home, because he still wants to eat and play and exercise so I think it's better for him to continue as normal unless things look as if they might become worse.

I assess the situation all the time though and am always prepared, if I see any sign that things might get out of control, that I will need to get him to the vet asap and this is something the vets have said too. Five fits sounds a lot if you're not used to having a dog that suffers from clusters but for Loki that is a relatively mild cluster. I guess it comes from experience now so I keep watching for any signs of dehydration, fatigue, an increase in the number of, and severity of, the fits then it's going to have to be off to the vets.

If there was nobody with him during the day, I'd probably play it differently though.

I hope that helps.
Thank you so much for this. It helps so much. I think we've just been through so much in the last few days that we're terrified and panicky. You have made the world of difference by telling me we're doing the right thing. Thanks again, you're an absolute angel and I can't tell you how much your advice means. xxxxx
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh no i started reading and was ready for all the YAY Cassies home, then read on and she has been poorly again Poor little girl

I would definitely have her at home, you always want to be with Mummy & Daddy when you don't feel well

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Jann
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thank you so much for this. It helps so much. I think we've just been through so much in the last few days that we're terrified and panicky. You have made the world of difference by telling me we're doing the right thing. Thanks again, you're an absolute angel and I can't tell you how much your advice means. xxxxx
Aw not at all Hun. You've really been through the mill and it is hard to even think straight, I know. Every time the fits start, even after the first one, I get upset and never stop worrying that they won't stop.

Big hugs to you. Just keep an eye on Cassie (I know you will anyway) and if you think things might take a turn for the worse, call the vets straight away. I hope you do have a peaceful night though, I really do.

xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm just pleased she's come home with you Jackie, and I think that was the right decision just like everyone else has said. She will be more relaxed and comfortable somewhere she knows, and if anything, yes God forbid, happens, then you will then have a choice of that ambulance. We have a Vets to Home service and I'm wondering if there's one up in your neck of the woods, coz they recently sent me a lovely leaflet and they're spreading out all over the place???? They probably have a website it's called Vets2Home??? They're absolute brilliant and would come out at the drop of a hat to your home? Take a look maybe hey for future reference.

Don't know what else to say for once Jackie, I just hope everything stays stable, you stay stable and John gets to relax in front of the telly tonight with his feet up next to you. Just keep her very quiet tonight, no playing, no going out, I think that would be best don't you? Awwwww, I feel so rotten for you all, it's a worst nightmare than I think I've even had myself!!! You take care, hugs to darling Cass, and to both of you.xxxxxxx I hope we get some good news later and tomorrow morning please.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
As ever....big hugs xxxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Oh no i started reading and was ready for all the YAY Cassies home, then read on and she has been poorly again Poor little girl

I would definitely have her at home, you always want to be with Mummy & Daddy when you don't feel well

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Jann
I know Jann, I'm absolutely bone weary.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Aw not at all Hun. You've really been through the mill and it is hard to even think straight, I know. Every time the fits start, even after the first one, I get upset and never stop worrying that they won't stop.

Big hugs to you. Just keep an eye on Cassie (I know you will anyway) and if you think things might take a turn for the worse, call the vets straight away. I hope you do have a peaceful night though, I really do.

xxx
It's so wonderful to have someone who goes through it though, it really does. My vet thinks 'This Dogsey Place' is fantasticxx

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm just pleased she's come home with you Jackie, and I think that was the right decision just like everyone else has said. She will be more relaxed and comfortable somewhere she knows, and if anything, yes God forbid, happens, then you will then have a choice of that ambulance. We have a Vets to Home service and I'm wondering if there's one up in your neck of the woods, coz they recently sent me a lovely leaflet and they're spreading out all over the place???? They probably have a website it's called Vets2Home??? They're absolute brilliant and would come out at the drop of a hat to your home? Take a look maybe hey for future reference.

Don't know what else to say for once Jackie, I just hope everything stays stable, you stay stable and John gets to relax in front of the telly tonight with his feet up next to you. Just keep her very quiet tonight, no playing, no going out, I think that would be best don't you? Awwwww, I feel so rotten for you all, it's a worst nightmare than I think I've even had myself!!! You take care, hugs to darling Cass, and to both of you.xxxxxxx I hope we get some good news later and tomorrow morning please.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks hun as always. Vets 2 home looks like it's just in East and West Sussex at the minute which is a shame. Anyway, thanks againxx

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As ever....big hugs xxxxxxxx
Thanks A, gratefully received. xx

Well folks, she's home with us now and has had some chicken and rice. She won't eat the prescription diet stuff at the minute but it may take time.
I don't care if I cook chicken and rice for the rest of my life frankly.

She seems more settled than even earlier today. I apologised to the poor vet but she was fine. They know how stressed we've been with it all. We take her back tomorrow for a check and I'm home with some more diazepam 'just in case'. She's had her last 2 Phenobarb for today and we will give her a diazepam before bed.

Looks like we'll be up most of the night though but none of us have to be up in the morning so that's no problem. My brother's staying with us for a few days just for moral support really and to keep us occupied.

Thanks again to each and every one of you for all your support and time to post. This place really is one in a million as are each and every one of you.

Lots of Love and thanks,

Jackie, John and Cassie
xxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Lovely that she is home. Think you are on for a duvet on the sofa night, with lots of chocs and dvds.
HUge hugs as ever xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Lovely that she is home. Think you are on for a duvet on the sofa night, with lots of chocs and dvds.
HUge hugs as ever xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks A. Yep, that's what's planned. Think we'll all be pulling an all nighter! My brother has arrived armed with a memory stick with 9 films on it so we're all set. That and Domino's pizza and it'll be a slumber party.xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Aww Jackie I just can't believe this, you poor poor things.
If it was me I would have to bring her home in her own surroundings. You have definately done the right thing.
I'm sure the vet has had a lot worse than you to put up with in her time.
Love and hugs to you all, I hope you all have a good night.
Page 24 of 35 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 > Last »