Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
The way I see it is:

Reputable breeders will only sell puppies to people they are completely happy with - people they trust to take care of their puppies. They WILL follow up on the pups' progress and will go out of their way to make sure all is well. In the event of something unforseen happening they will do all they can to ensure the situation is resolved in the best interest of the dog. They may not personally to a pre home-check but by the time the puppy leaves with the new owner they could have been speaking to this person for around, and in some cases longer than, two years! depending on the waiting list they have for their litters.

Reputable rescues will also do all they can to ensure dogs in their care go to suitable homes.

Therefore one must come to the conclusion that, barring the ODD FEW dogs that slip through the net on BOTH sides of the breeder/rescue coin, it is the IRRESPONSIBLE breeders AND rescues that should be targeted for further education.

To lump all breeders together as the evil producers of masses of dogs which they don't care about is just wrong - just as wrong as lumping all rescues together for rehoming dogs that they have no breed specific knowledge of.

No, breeders should not have to do all the home checks that rescue centres do and the reason is simple - rescues have a month or so (or even less) to draw up a judgement on whether someone is suitable - reputable breeders have a couple of years to glean all the information they need.

Debs
Brilliant post Debs
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Brilliant post Debs
I agree Debs
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 02:28 PM
yeah i think breeders should

rescues do it so why not breeders? most breeders love thepuppuies they breed and are proud of them so why no make sure they are going to a good home, where they will be loved, trained etc and unlikely to come back to them as they are unwanted (if u know what i mean)
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Been reading with interest

Brilliant post there Debs
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helping.Hounds View Post
I have been informed that Krusewalker/Martin is not a representative of FOAL farm. Some of the information he has given is neither truth nor fact, whether his intentions are to mislead people remains unknown.

Reputable rescues insist on a number of various pre adoption and post adoption checks, most of which have been listed on this thread, these are in place for no other reason than to ensure the dogs they rehome go to suitable, life-time homes. If reputable breeders were to follow suit, inevitably less dogs would end up in rescue. It is a fact that the number of unwanted dogs ending up in rescue originally bought from reputable breeders far out weighs the number of dogs originally adopted from reputable rescues, hence the need for reputable breeders to start considering carrying out more thorough pre and post sale checks.
Well said
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
yeah i think breeders should

rescues do it so why not breeders? most breeders love thepuppuies they breed and are proud of them so why no make sure they are going to a good home, where they will be loved, trained etc and unlikely to come back to them as they are unwanted (if u know what i mean)
Well said :smt041 Exactly my thoughts
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Reputable rescues insist on a number of various pre adoption and post adoption checks, most of which have been listed on this thread, these are in place for no other reason than to ensure the dogs they rehome go to suitable, life-time homes. If reputable breeders were to follow suit, inevitably less dogs would end up in rescue. It is a fact that the number of unwanted dogs ending up in rescue originally bought from reputable breeders far out weighs the number of dogs originally adopted from reputable rescues, hence the need for reputable breeders to start considering carrying out more thorough pre and post sale checks.
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Well said
Have you seen this data then Anne?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Absolutely true.
And who should be educating the owners of the pup they are intending to buy before they are allowed to buy him or her.....
the potential owner should have done their homework on the particular breed they are hopeing to buy.
not just the training but the breed instincts as this can affect the training in the long run.

i researched for 2 years on the Leonberger and Newfi, i also visited breeders of both breeds to discuss which out of the 2 was more suited to my family.
this said there are certain breeds that are not suited to the first time owner, giants being one of them.
I'm not a first time owner by the way

so, its back to the owners again. the breeder has a responsibility in finding out what knowledge the owner has, to ascertain the suitability of the home that the pup is going to.
And seeing the kids of the owners is a good indicator!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Helping.Hounds View Post
I have been informed that Krusewalker/Martin is not a representative of FOAL farm. Some of the information he has given is neither truth nor fact, whether his intentions are to mislead people remains unknown.

Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Well said
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
Hello "new member", may I ask who "informed" you of this?? What information is not truth nor fact?
As he worked there for a good few years (only left cos I dragged him away), he knows all their procedures, indeed helped set up some of them in the years gone past. If you are going slate him and make up lies, please go do it somewhere where I can't read it you silly woman, or I'll be mightily pissed off.

Hello again Anne, i thought we were back on a mutually respectful keel, so i'm hoping the "well said" referance above doesn't include the little tidbit from Unhappy Hounds about me.

I have no idea who HH is, and I had never heard of your own Allbreeds rescue until a few days ago (you told about yourself in a PM). Thus, I have no personal grind toward either of you guys...like i already said, I dont know why, to be respectfully frank, I would be that bothered to scheme against persons i have no relationship to?

But i would honestly like to know: what, exactly, is making it so difficult to accept my intentions and points as exactly as they are written on the thread....repeatedly!

My apologises to you Anne if this doesnt apply, but Unhappy Hounds, not everyone goes thru life with a secret agenda, you know.
Some people actually say what they feel and feel what they say...are you, by any chance, judging me by your own standards there

Thus far, i have had 7 seven rep/praise messages for my posts, so fortunately, not everyone is so cynical.

As for not working at FOAL...okay, whatever.
Like Danish Pastry says... i worked there for about 10 years, and did indeed help set up some procedures and application forms, amongst a million other things.
And i do have the wider rescue knowledge and experience I have detailed.

This can be proven one hundred times over..but bollox to it.

Although, if you bothered to read even this thread properly, instead of being a numpty, you wouldnt read anywhere that i have said I am officially representing FOAL Farm, and that i actually posted that I have left and moved to Denmark.

If you are gonna slander people, at least be intelligent about it. People usually resort such tactics when they have run out of arguements.

kruse,

saying what he believes, believing what he says, representing nought but himself.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Can I ask a stupid question,
When you get dogs coming into/through rescue,how does the rescue know they have come from a reputable breeder especially if there's no paperwork?
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Where are you getting this data and how has the collator defined reputable breeders?
Could somebody from rescue answer the above please?
Page 24 of 33 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »