Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
It's taken ages to plough through this lot and my brew has gone cold!

A few points - in no particular order of importance (and they are just my observations: no better / worse than anyone else's )

1) Going right back to the original shots of the 2 springers: I agree that the basic construction is pretty similar and that without meeting both dogs in the flesh and actually seeing them at work (notwithstanding the fact that so much work-wise depends on training too!) it would be impossible to tell which had the most natural aptitude.

However, I think it is absolutely fair to say that in very thick cover, it is more practical to have a dog with a less long and silky coat. Having said that, I'd rather have a dog with a naturally long coat who would crash through rhodies and bramble all day ( I could just keep it trimmed) than one with a more practical length but less enthusiasm for the job.

2) As an aside, I've often wondered why we have so many flushing breeds with long, tangly coats, when a good harsh wiry jacket would be much more sensible if you think about it! I guess it's all down to the fact that the gene, or combination of genes for flushing are somehow linked with the gene(s) for a less than practical coat - show or non-show. I think the technical term is 'Sod's Law'

3) Having said that, what I do object to about the 2nd photo of the springer is pristine show pose is that the presentation (in my opinion) is exaggerated and to deliberately produce a working dog with such a profusion of coat does seem illogical. It's almost as though the dogs need the profusion of coat so it can be 'groomed' into the correct shape. To me, it looks contrived and a bit silly and smacks of a culture where dogs are being produced for the benefit of the show-scene, when really, surely the show-scene should be there for the benefit of pedigree dogs.

4) I agree there are working springers of all shapes and sizes and the same can be said for cockers! However, the terrain on different shoots vary, as does the actual purpose people want a dog for. Some want a rangey, faster dog; others want a bigger, broader dog that will push through dense cover. I suggest (ducks for cover) that it is more by certain people being in certain places at a certain time that we ended up with Clumber / Field/ Cocker / Springer/ Welsh Springer / Sussex as named breeds with breed standards at all If different people had been of different committees etc., we might just as easily have had different 'types' morphing into different breeds. You can still see old illustrations of English Water Spaniels, Norfolk Spaniels and I bet every county had (actually they still have) their leggy, rangey spaniels and their smaller, very stylish 'busy' little spaniels and their 'bramble-busters'.

5) Poodles are cool - end of

6) I think the term 'Fit for Function' can and should be applied to toy breeds. Toy breeds were created from other breeds to produce amiable, appealing and easy to manage companion dogs and the mark of a good toy is that they can fulfil this role. In reality, most households need exactly this sort of a dog, rather than one designed to run for miles / guard the flock / root out and kill anything small and furry Personally (as in 'just my opinion') I'd rather see more toy breeds kept as companion dogs and fewer larger working breeds 'dumbed down' for the pet market by having the drive and tenacity bred out because these do not make them especially good household pets (a role for which the breeds weren't created in the first place)

However, once a breed is recognized in this country and bred as a show dog, the breeders need to find homes for puppies and the public starts to expect / assume that all dogs should make good house pets.

Right - that's my contribution. If you are going to rip it to shreds, please do it politely
Excellent post!

rune
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Sorry Kanie I didn't get to read your post properly last night, blame tiredness and reading off a little phone screen , although I think dogs with a purpose can be any shape/size, I also think your post rates as one of the best, if not the best on this thread.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 09:01 AM
6) I think the term 'Fit for Function' can and should be applied to toy breeds. Toy breeds were created from other breeds to produce amiable, appealing and easy to manage companion dogs and the mark of a good toy is that they can fulfil this role. In reality, most households need exactly this sort of a dog, rather than one designed to run for miles / guard the flock / root out and kill anything small and furry Personally (as in 'just my opinion') I'd rather see more toy breeds kept as companion dogs and fewer larger working breeds 'dumbed down' for the pet market by having the drive and tenacity bred out because these do not make them especially good household pets (a role for which the breeds weren't created in the first place)
This I agree with entirely, too many breeds like Dobermanns for example, have been changed characteristically to supply the pet market, and make them more manageable. Wrong IMO.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I've got a reply from someone with American Cocker Spaniels, and who also works their dog, they say that some are worked in a full coat, but generally they are clipped, and in the US there are also some with a field coat, simalar to the working type english cocker spaniel, but that they are not really bred over here.

So I will say I was wrong, they can work in full coat, even if some clip them for work, and in America there is a split with the coat, it doesn't change the fact that they can.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I've got a reply from someone with American Cocker Spaniels, and who also works their dog, they say that some are worked in a full coat, but generally they are clipped, and in the US there are also some with a field coat, simalar to the working type english cocker spaniel, but that they are not really bred over here.

So I will say I was wrong, they can work in full coat, even if some clip them for work, and in America there is a split with the coat, it doesn't change the fact that they can.
Wow - will say again - don't envy them!! Don't suppose they pointed you to any pictures?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Well the reply was on a Lurcher forum, so I'll ask if she has any pics of hers and other dogs working (her dogs coat isn't as full as the dog's pic I posted), funny thing is I asked the breed club and contacted a show breeder who has bred dogs who work and describes the breed as dual purpose and got no reply, but on a thread on a Lurcher forum theres someone with a ACS who works her dog and gave the info, and showed pics of her dog day to day (with some cute pics too).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Wow - will say again - don't envy them!! Don't suppose they pointed you to any pictures?
There are pics in the links I posted, ACS, working in full coat.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Well the reply was on a Lurcher forum, so I'll ask if she has any pics of hers and other dogs working (her dogs coat isn't as full as the dog's pic I posted), funny thing is I asked the breed club and contacted a show breeder who has bred dogs who work and describes the breed as dual purpose and got no reply, but on a thread on a Lurcher forum theres someone with a ACS who works her dog and gave the info, and showed pics of her dog day to day (with some cute pics too).
I guess it will all depend on what you asked of them Chaz.

Sadly with the anti "pedigree dogs" thing that is going on at the moment and the underhand way certain journalists are going about gaining information , maybe they were a little suspicious of someone asking out of the blue if their dogs can work in full coat!

They may have felt you had other intentions with your questions!
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I really enjoyed the potted history of Chinese Cresteds. Just being curious (and it sort of links with the thread) because I have seen so few and not really studdied the breed in any depth; but does the fact that (apart from Powderpuffs) there is not a lot you can hide or define with grooming on a Crested mean that there is less of a variation in type than in other breeds in terms of features like angulation, shoulder placement, length of back and reach of neck and spring of ribs..............or are there very distinct 'types' of Crested and different opinions as to what a good one looks like?

and if a Crestie had spent his life bouncing round a ship killing the rats, wouldn't he be a bit tough and sinewy by the time he hit the stew-pot?

What really annoys me with Irish Terriers (a breed I do know a fair bit about) is that they are rarely, if ever, shown in full coat. Most coats, even poor ones, can be made to look smart and harsh in texture if they are worked on and kept at that stage where the new top-coat is just about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long and the undercoat is raked out to give it a really close, hard appearance.

It looks very smart and there is a skill in keeping the coat like this, but it tells you very little about what the real quality of the coat is. You can tell close-up which dogs have the better coats sometimes and an incorrect, curly coat with sparse undercoat can actually look really impressive at the 'half-way' stage so many are shown in.

I know it is the 'norm' in many terrier breeds now, but it does seem incongruous that such a defining feature of the breed is, in effect, treated more as a test of the exhibitor's grooming skills than as a feature that would have an impact on the dog's ability to match the breed standard and to be protected in all weathers.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Devildogz will be able to answer you better, but from what I know there is two 'types' of Chinese crested, the deer and the cobby type, their is also hairless and powder puff, but then in the hairless there is the true hairless which has less hair and bad teeth, and the hairy hairless which has the more flashy hair on the head, feet and tail (not sure of the quality of teeth for these), and the hairy hairless also has some hair on its body, but its shaved for the show ring, and their face is shaved too, the face of the Powderpuff from what I know is also shaved for the ring, but I'm not sure of the true hairless.

I did find this link about grooming the CC types though

http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-art...ps-452915.html

Here's a pic that shows two lighter framed CC's, and a heavier one that I found on google

Heres a good feature on them too, which was linked to the picture.

But like I said DD will be able to give you better info, and be able to say if any of the stuff I just wrote is wrong
Page 23 of 35 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »