Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
i suppose the way i see it is this i would love Molly to be able to free run in every walk she has, but if its a case of let her run and see her flattened by a car or keeping her on her lead when its not safe then i will come up with ways to keep her entertained and contented on her lead, this time of year she only gets off at weekends she just can't be trusted in the dark. She is not bouncing off the walls never has been
and this backs up my argument nicely.

I would rather a dog be safe on lead then un-safe off lead because it's owner thinks it ''needs' to be off lead.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Exactly.

I agree with you and Shona's post that you quoted (that I had somehow missed..sorry Shona)

Yes...how is your aggressive couch potato by the way?
I am defensive as someone has just said it is cruel not to let a dog offlead...I think I have every right to be.
I am defensive with you as you have no experience of walking your dog onlead yet still you say it's the wrong thing to do...

See it's that bit that suggests to me perhaps her onlead walks could have been more rewarding. Why wasn't she allowed to explore all the time?
Aggressive couch potato? what are you talking about? you have lost me again.

Moobli said it was cruel not to let SOME dogs off leads. Not all dogs. Not your dogs. SOME dogs. For some dogs, it would be terribly unfair to keep them on lead for life. That could be interpreted as being cruel, for those individual dogs.

And yes, walking them on the lead all the time would be wrong for my dogs. We all want to do what is best for our dogs, so what is the problem in that? I have highly active, sociable dogs, with great recalls, why would I want to keep them on a lead all the time?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
and this backs up my argument nicely.

I would rather a dog be safe on lead then un-safe off lead because it's owner thinks it ''needs' to be off lead.
Exactly. Or have other dogs around it unsafe.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
To be fair, I don't think Moobli said that keeping all dogs on lead is cruel, but SOME dogs. Which is a perfectly fair point IMO.
As far as I am concerned, I believe that most (if not all) dogs do NEED to have a good run on a regular basis for their happiness and well being.
Originally
Posted by Moobli
I agree with Labradork. I think some dogs do NEED to run free to have a fulfilling and satisfying life. To restrict certain dogs to lead walking (whether that be short lead, long line, pavement or countryside) would actually be cruel for some dogs imo.
Originally Posted by Pidge
Surely no one on this thread is saying dogs NEED off-lead exercise, are they?
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Erm, I am!

I think from all the above you can see she does!!!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Moobli said it was cruel not to let SOME dogs off leads. Not all dogs. Not your dogs. SOME dogs. For some dogs, it would be terribly unfair to keep them on lead for life. That could be interpreted as being cruel, for those individual dogs.

And yes, walking them on the lead all the time would be wrong for my dogs. We all want to do what is best for our dogs, so what is the problem in that? I have highly active, sociable dogs, with great recalls, why would I want to keep them on a lead all the time?
Can you define what "some dogs" means!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Exactly.

I agree with you and Shona's post that you quoted (that I had somehow missed..sorry Shona)

Yes...how is your aggressive couch potato by the way?
I am defensive as someone has just said it is cruel not to let a dog offlead...I think I have every right to be.
I am defensive with you as you have no experience of walking your dog onlead yet still you say it's the wrong thing to do...

See it's that bit that suggests to me perhaps her onlead walks could have been more rewarding. Why wasn't she allowed to explore all the time?
What I meant was that the lead walks were done in different ways. Sometimes I would take her into busy places with lots of different sights and sounds - she enjoyed those walks, but didn't relax her. other walks we would potter around (I couldn't put a long line on her as she just wanted to run but I would let her 'lead' me where she wanted to go) but she found those very boring. Hoki has never been that interested in the scents left by other dogs etc - she'll have a quick sniff and then be off. And its not because she doesn't know how to use her nose, we do enough games of find it in the dark/long grass etc. where she can't rely on her sight.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Why shouldn't a working collies exercise mainly consist of work???! As I said, his dogs get free running and "down time" when they run and mooch about the farm with my dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:58 PM

You said your dog was the total opposite of mine...in terms of temperament and energy level so I suspect your dog is an aggressive couch potato then...
You haven't tried......your dog doesn't even walk well on the lead by your own admission you pay little attention to it..so please don't tell me what your dog could cope with when you haven't tried.
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Originally

I think from all the above you can see she does!!!!!!!
Exactly.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:58 PM
she looks frustrated doesn't she

today she has had her on lead walk and about 1/2hrs worth of clicker training

i think someone said it earlier on that too much running can be detrimental as well, the dog just ends up wanting more, i've certainly seen springers in rescue that have had this happen, one of our volunteers took one a few years ago, she ended up running him for up to 5 hrs aday and he stil wouldn't settle, once she started working his brain he got a lot better,
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Can you define what "some dogs" means!!
Highly active dogs that need more than what the restraints of a lead can provide.
Page 23 of 46 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »