View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh jeez, you know what? There are plenty of things in life i dislike, plenty of things i disagree with but hey, thats life.
Im not saying i agree or disagree with a dog high up on a ladder for a display, but many dogs face many a greater risk in the line of duty (explosives dogs or search and rescue come to mind) next people will be saying these dogs shouldnt be used. Did any dog actually fall off the ladder (wasnt it described by the OP on the subject as a tight rope ?...cant be doing with searching for the post) I find THAT hard to believe. If a dog hurt itself during the demonstartion then i could see there being a point...but what exactly is the point?
Every time we let our dogs off the lead in open space, we take a risk that the dog may come to harm in one way or another, every time our dogs travel in cars we take a risk, every time they run after a toy there is a risk. Life is not risk free, this thread is getting ridiculous.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:33 AM
It was good to see the winner of Crufts this year not being strung up.

It was good to see far, far fewer of the agility handlers putting their dogs in a stay at the start instead of lifting by the scruff

Progress? I hope so
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Jeepers, calm down people I do have a life off this forum too you know ;o)

Right, I've just checked with my husband and it was about 10ft (I am rubbish at maths!) high. The dogs were made to go up a ladder and then walk across a narrow metal bar. If they fell it would have seriously hurt them, in fact at one point one of the dogs slipped and landed on the inside of his thigh. Their tails were tucked in while they were doing it and a few were reluctant to go up the ladder in the first place. I don't give a monkeys what you all say, I found it very uncomfortable to watch!

I can't remember the company but I knew it was something I was interested in seeing until i realised what it entailed. It was in the main arena at about lunchtime on the day I was there (the Saturday of the 2010 show). I have a feeling it was right after the RAF display as that is what we wanted to see most but we missed it because I was working. There was a guy commentating through the whole performance.

Dogs performing in this way for entertainment is no comparison to the risks they take every day off lead.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It was good to see the winner of Crufts this year not being strung up.

It was good to see far, far fewer of the agility handlers putting their dogs in a stay at the start instead of lifting by the scruff

Progress? I hope so
Now that for me is the makings of a new thread. What were the positives (progress) of Crufts this year?

Good to know!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Ben I think YOU are very rude saying that I called someone a liar in my post when I have CLEARLY not!

I have challenged the post, that is all.

Please point out WHERE I called ANYONE a liar!

So the words, pot, kettle and black come to mind.

Please be VERY careful about reading a post and what you INFER from it, which may be VERY different to what was actually posted.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:51 AM
How do you know the dog was very reluctant about going up rather than being very careful. Do you see people on the high wire behaving any differently? I do not think so.

As for tails, how many dogs have you seen balancing or concentrating, the tail is a rudder, it is held by a dog at the most appropriate place for balance.

When my GSD is focused on tracking is tail is held low, not out of fear or trepidation but concentration.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
How do you know the dog was very reluctant about going up rather than being very careful. Do you see people on the high wire behaving any differently? I do not think so.

As for tails, how many dogs have you seen balancing or concentrating, the tail is a rudder, it is held by a dog at the most appropriate place for balance.

When my GSD is focused on tracking is tail is held low, not out of fear or trepidation but concentration.
Is your GSD 10ft off the ground, balanced on a narrow metal bar?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
crufts has a bad flooring for agility..you try not to qualify your fastest/most hyped dog for there..u save that for olympia.
but what would i now

theres bad handling in every discipline.

but as ive said already on this thread..ive not seen anything 'bad' ...to be fair i dont see the point of this thread.
let alone making it agility versus showng

lots of peeps do more than one 'discipline' with their dogs.
Well said I've done showing agility obedience and HTM to competition level which did I find hardest showing by far I have great admiration for the many brilliant show handlers I know just as I do for all those in the other disciplines.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
To be honest - if a Horse really wants to bolt on a road - a bridle does not really stop it!
(been there - done that! -without the aid of a bridle as the reins snapped!)
Yep, that happens when you dont take care of your tack,

Not sure of your point though, as my reply was directed to the post about "stunt riders" being able to ride horses without tack, thats all very well I know , but not practical or safe or legal, as the majority of horse owners ride their animals on roads, X Country, amongst other disciplines..
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Is your GSD 10ft off the ground, balanced on a narrow metal bar?
Could the display have been for one of the services or perhaps (extreme) search and rescue?

This type of working dog encounters many dangerous situations that has to be trained and proofed so if it was in a working context display, maybe it was included to help the dogs' training rather than for entertainment value only.
Page 22 of 28 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »