Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I can't believe some people still can't see the dangers of letting dogs be loose in the car or head out the window. Maybe have a look at this link, and see the cartoon video. while your at it keep your fingers crossed that you or your pet never become the victim of such an accident through stupidity and ignorance.

http://www.squidoo.com/dogcarsafety
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've been reading up on the latest posts in here, and I'm getting the gist that dogs have to be restrained in the back of a car now, so I have a question please, which is, is it necessary to restrain your dogs in the back of an estate car even if you have a proper dog guard behind the front seats then please??? I have the back seats down you see and both dogs are free to move about in the back, but behind a very strong, made for the car, dog guard which I thought would be ok, but it seems not then??? I only ask coz I'm a worryguts!!

Helena ,I think the simple answer is , look at how you travel your dogs and if in the event of you having to slam the brakes on , whats will happen.

If you are traveling your dogs in a saloon car or on the back seat of any car, then you can strap them in with harnesses... just like clipping seat belts on...you would not let anyone else travel without them.

if they are in an estate/4x4 , then a good sturdy dog guard is needed, of preferably a good sturdy dog crate... (my preferred way to travel them) if they are in the boot they cant be catapulted through the car and through the window or into you or passengers.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
What I don't get is that those who don't restrain feel that those who do are almost picking on them.
It's so incredibly important and I just cannot see why people don't realise this.
Maybe its because deep down they know they are taking unnecessary risks, and feel guilty about it?? hence redirect blame onto someone else!!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
But you have no idea how jake travels in the car, so you arent in the position to judge the danger.
So why not say then, you have said you let Jake travel with his head poked out of the window, I have not made that up , or plucked it out of thin air...you told us, so i am in a position to judge the danger, because you told the forum on this thread.

If you told me you drive while using your mobile phone, I dont need to see for myself, I KNOW its dangerous!!!

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Because from someone who doesn't "restrain" their dog in the car it certainly feels like picking on based on SOME of the posts that have been made in this thread.

If you wish to see it as picking on you, then there is nto a lot we can do about that, was the campaign to educate the public to the necessity of "seatbelts" and its saving lives seen as "picking on you" or was it a useful awareness exercise that inevitably saved many lives, and still does.

It might be important to you but that doesn't mean everyone has to do the same.

Just my opinion
Sadly that is very evident, keeping my dogs safe is very important to me, and that extends to everything I do with them.

As you say though , not every is as concerned
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I can't believe some people still can't see the dangers of letting dogs be loose in the car or head out the window. Maybe have a look at this link, and see the cartoon video. while your at it keep your fingers crossed that you or your pet never become the victim of such an accident through stupidity and ignorance.

Excellent link. Well done. Puts a visual to everything I've been trying to get across. But it was wasted as my genuine concern appears to have been taken as ''picking on''.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
If i chose to live my life by facts then there wouldn't be much in life that i could actually do and enjoy without the risks and danger.

I'm not saying that leaving my dog unstrained is correct but it is my choice which i'm perfectly entitled to. I have listened to all the advice offered and have looked at all the various options for restraining Monty but it is now MY choice whether i go ahead and restrain him.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post

Brilliant link, lets hope it can help some to see the importance of restraints..
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Well I know the facts and have made them quite clear.

Facts - http://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/trav...-with-pets.php
You have missed the point. I was talking about knowing the facts of the owners specific circumstances when dogs are allowed heads out and when they are not. Assumptions made and good reading skills shown again I see.

Ruby
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes, until it is law it is everyone's choice what they do and it is not my right to tell them what to do.

I just wanted to try and get the importance of the issue across as whilst we face risks in life every day, this is not one I wish to take with my beloved pet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
If i chose to live my life by facts then there wouldn't be much in life that i could actually do and enjoy without the risks and danger.

I'm not saying that leaving my dog unstrained is correct but it is my choice which i'm perfectly entitled to. I have listened to all the advice offered and have looked at all the various options for restraining Monty but it is now MY choice whether i go ahead and restrain him.
Your right , your choice, but Montys life, and hopefully no one else's too, by your calculated risk taking...

I guess this is why we need laws set in place to force those who think they are invincible !!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Helena ,I think the simple answer is , look at how you travel your dogs and if in the event of you having to slam the brakes on , whats will happen.

If you are traveling your dogs in a saloon car or on the back seat of any car, then you can strap them in with harnesses... just like clipping seat belts on...you would not let anyone else travel without them.

if they are in an estate/4x4 , then a good sturdy dog guard is needed, of preferably a good sturdy dog crate... (my preferred way to travel them) if they are in the boot they cant be catapulted through the car and through the window or into you or passengers.

I'm ok then, that's what I've got, dogs NOT on seats, but in the back of an estate car with the seats down (I couldn't possibly squeeze two big gsd's in the back without both seats down), the dog guard is behind the front seats, so all seems ok then? I don't want to harness them in there as well quite honestly, and we only do a half a mile journey with them in there twice a day, or maybe 2 miles to the vets, nothing further no fast motorway stuff, only 30mph at most and that's at short intervals coz usually it's 20!!
?
Thanks Jackie
Page 22 of 49 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »