View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I have to say that it does make me smile when I read that some people believe that all intact dogs are sex crazed beasts who are constantly on the look-out or smell-out for a receptive bitch
Now I know that there are some dogs out there who may be like this but it has never been my experience and we have always had un-neutered dogs (both family and my own). It has never even been a consideration TBH for any of our dogs as being intact has never had any negative effects for us and we have never been responsible for any litters, unplanned or planned. I also have to say that we are not exceptional dog owners, it just has never been anymore of a problem than any other training issue.

I am and always will be pro choice. I have met some people on walks who seem shocked that Beau still has his ginger nuts, especially when we say that we have no intention of breeding from him, as they were told by their vet that it is the right and proper thing to do. I believe this is wrong and there is always a choice.
I would never tell anyone that getting their dog neutered was the wrong decision as it is their own choice as keeping Beau intact is mine and I will not do something to him that is not in his best interest because of other people's negligence or money making schemes. This does not make me any less responsible.

For the question of neutering rescues, it would be my preference that rescue dogs are not routinely neutered but assessed on the merits of it for each individual dog but I can totally understand why it is done as rescues are picking up the mess left by joe public.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I have to say that it does make me smile when I read that some people believe that all intact dogs are sex crazed beasts who are constantly on the look-out or smell-out for a receptive bitch
Now I know that there are some dogs out there who may be like this but it has never been my experience and we have always had un-neutered dogs (both family and my own). It has never even been a consideration TBH for any of our dogs as being intact has never had any negative effects for us and we have never been responsible for any litters, unplanned or planned. I also have to say that we are not exceptional dog owners, it just has never been anymore of a problem than any other training issue.

I am and always will be pro choice. I have met some people on walks who seem shocked that Beau still has his ginger nuts, especially when we say that we have no intention of breeding from him, as they were told by their vet that it is the right and proper thing to do. I believe this is wrong and there is always a choice.
I would never tell anyone that getting their dog neutered was the wrong decision as it is their own choice as keeping Beau intact is mine and I will not do something to him that is not in his best interest because of other people's negligence or money making schemes. This does not make me any less responsible.

For the question of neutering rescues, it would be my preference that rescue dogs are not routinely neutered but assessed on the merits of it for each individual dog but I can totally understand why it is done as rescues are picking up the mess left by joe public.
Brilliant post
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
To cheer you up, it can happen that bitches become more confident afterwards----sometimes!

rune
Thank you Rune, that's good to know
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Lozzie wrote

<<<Stud dogs could have a safe, enclosed place to be let off lead. and no need to be patronising! >>

Lets get real shall we---or are we in Utopia?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Me too, so all male dogs should have their bits chopped off, just in case there happens to be an intact bitch within their vicinity

There is no reason why an intact dog, stud or otherwise being allowed to have the same exercise as any other dog.

Training is at the basis of a dogs recall, not whether he has a couple of plumbs or not??

Regards neutering and spaying..........choice is the word, if you wish to do it , then so be it if not its your right.

My concern is doing it to early.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 12:17 PM

great post

my only real concerns about rescues homing dogs that are intact is....
people who are solely out to make money could troll rescues looking for pedigree dogs, they could go on to breed these dogs just for cash, a bit like puppy farmers,
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

That is fair enough, all I was wanting was to understand if some of your statements were your views, or if you were explaining what Rips was trying to say. it was only a question, i wasnt being critical or anything, just trying to make sure i understand where you stand. better i clear that up, and dont just jump in with two feet and be critical!

as long as you aren’t trying to imply that I don’t care about my dog as much as you do about your dog, coz mine is neutered. (i know some of yours are neutered) I weighed up risks with him, but he was young, fit and healthy so put my chances that he would be fine. and he was great, and recovered excellent and I stick by my decision to get him neutered.
I am not implying that - I am implying that you make the choice based on you assessment of the risks as I do with my dogs.

My assessment of the risk that Gabe will go after a bitch in season, is that the chance is minimal to non-existent, therefore he is safe off the lead, and oddly - he does go off the lead with my bitch when she is in season - make of that what you will - he would rather have the kong!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lozzie wrote

<<<Stud dogs could have a safe, enclosed place to be let off lead. and no need to be patronising! >>

Lets get real shall we---or are we in Utopia?

rune
what is there to get real about? plenty people find secure places to let their dogs of lead for a variety of reasons.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
my boss has two sibes,one male,one female...when the female is in season Lupo (dog) is not sepperated from her,he has no interest whatsoever to be fair she may hump him!,neither is my boy flea(although i am here with them all day).
we do think nikita is a 'geezer bird' tho

re teeth cleaning..... not quite 'elective surgery' peridontal disease can be nasty and its effects are not only restricted to the teeth.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
what is there to get real about? plenty people find secure places to let their dogs of lead for a variety of reasons.
i think its more the fact that there is more to a dogs life than sex...'bored',understimulated' dogs are more likely to be 'oversexed' anyhoo.
Page 22 of 33 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »