View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Oh no! How come your veins are so small??

Poor Hev, what a nightmare!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
No idea, even the deep veins (which they use for PICCS) are small, and they had trouble.
I think i'm still slightly bleeding now, but its hard to tell, cos i've got 3 waterproof dressings covering it, so I can just see through them.
Used a bandage as a tourniqet, taken it off now....didn't do much. Still hurting.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Phoned the hospital emergency line a couple of hours ago, told them it was still bleeding, she said to keep my eye on it, and call back in an hour.

I called back an hour later, as it's still bleeding, and she said not to worry, it sounds normal.
She said if I am worried, go to my local walk in centre and have a nurse change it.
Great, but theres no walk in centre local to me
Don't want to bother people at A&E, so will wait till tomorrow and call docs in the morning to see if I can get an appointment with a nurse for a dressing change.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh Hev, I'm sorry to read what you went through - but if its still bleeding I would go to A&E - I'm sure they won't think you're a bother. *hugs*
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Here is a picture.
Don't click the link if you are squemish!
Picc Line (with dressing!)

Ok, the bit where the blood is...is supposed to be a small blue line going into my skin.
The reason the blood hasn't soaked onto the gauze that you can see is because the dressings are layered.

It goes PICC line and statlock (white thing with blue writing - holds tube in place) - dressing - tube with end wrapped in gauze (so it doesnt rub) - dressing - dressing.

The blood has soacked onto the underside of the statlock, which is about an inch lower than the entrance site.

It's all covered so can't leak anywhere and I feel a bit calmer now (i'm having a cuppa!), so i'll wait till tomorrow and try and see the nurse at my surgery.

Thanks for listening, I needed to vent!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
O Hev I just caught up with this. I'm glad you had a good day at Alton Towers but sorry about the hassle today at the hospital with the line. I hope they can sort out a better position for you. Where does a central line go? Is that the one that goes by your shoulder?
I do hope they sort it and I really hope the bleeding stops for you tonight.
HUgs x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Ailsa, thanks for the post
Yep, a central (or hickman) line goes in your chest, the insert it near your collar bone, but that wound gets closed up, and the line actually comes out a little lower down.
They last longer than a PICC, and apparently are less fiddly to do, and don't get in the way as much as a PICC line!

Hope my doc says I can have one after next treatment!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Hi Ailsa, thanks for the post
Yep, a central (or hickman) line goes in your chest, the insert it near your collar bone, but that wound gets closed up, and the line actually comes out a little lower down.
They last longer than a PICC, and apparently are less fiddly to do, and don't get in the way as much as a PICC line!

Hope my doc says I can have one after next treatment!
Thanks Hev I thought that was the one, but wasn't sure.Are they done under a local or a general?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks Hev I thought that was the one, but wasn't sure.Are they done under a local or a general?
They give you local, and i'm not sure if you can also have sedation or not!
I met a lady today who had one done, she walked out of the room fine, and said it went well....was uncomfortable, but went ok!

The local anasthetic kills though, I was squeezing the bed covers when I had the million locals I had today!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Have just caught this thread! So sorry to hear your news!

I think you are doing amazingly well!!

Everyone would have their ups and downs. You are really good at remaining positive, strong and active! No wallowing for you! Though you are allowed a short one now and then, it does the world of good!

Thinking of you & keep us updated!
Page 22 of 70 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »