Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes, I would, but forget the dogs, I would like to get up close and personal with ME!!
Just remember those sun glasses then

Its a no from me, every trainer has good and bad aspects to their training but I have seen too many things that make me uncomfortable (or down right mad) with CM. He is all jazz hands and PR.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
If your opinion of CM is correct, Vicki, why do yo think that Ian Dunbar and Bob Bailey would be willing to be associated with him? To colloborate with a person who is described as someone who only loves only one thing "and that's MONEY and he will use ANY method, no matter how cruel or underhanded to gain more of it" would seem like a very bad business decision for Ian Dunbar and Bob Bailey. Surely, it would be far more principled and better for business for both of them to deride such a person, but neither of these dog trainers are doing so, so it would appear that they do not feel such a suggestion to be true, unless they are in it totally for the money, and principles have gone by the wayside.
I agree with you. To say that CM is an evil man just because he has a TV show & such, VS has a TV show as well but no one seems to say those horrible things about her.

Like I said before, it comes down to the fact that he doesn't use the same methods that most of you guys do, but the fact that he is evolving (or trying to) shows that to me he wants to further his knowledge of dogs.

To answer the question about whether I would let CM near my dogs, I wouldn't let any dog trainers near my dogs now. I know each one individually, and treat them as such, with training tailored to each dog's character and temperament.
About this, I agree. I have no need for a trainer of any kind anyway.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2011, 09:29 AM
It's a conditional yes from me.

Come sit down beside me

I said to myself

And although it doesn't make sense

I took my own hand

(As a small sign of trust)

And together I sat on the fence...

I haven't watched many of his shows,not enough to see him using gadgets anyway except for once when he used an e collar on a BC that was consistently getting under the wheels of farm machinery.

I think he's good at reading the dynamic in both groups of dogs and between dogs and their owners (although I'm not sure about the whole 'pack leader' thing) I did see him mess up on the former on one occasion.
A 'red zone' DA pitbull bitch had been at his centre for a while and the owner came to visit.CM took the pack ,including the pit bitch, for a walk with her owner.The mother of all fights broke out.

From what I've seen his training techniques aren't ground breaking stuff.
I've always felt that his genius was in getting through to even the dimmest dog owners - who I would have chucked out of the nearest high window within 10 seconds.

I think it's pointless training a dog without training the owner too.This is what he seems to do well.

I also think that gadgets are the resort of those who can't be bothered/don't have the time to train properly.

I'd love to have a session with him and my dogs (sans gadgets!) as I believe I could learn something from him.

I learn something from everyone I meet - even if it's how not to do things!
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't let him near Ludo. Ludo would not exhibit any of his normal 'bad behaviors' around him anyway because he is nervous of strangers and I know a lot of CM's techniques would really mentally damage Ludo.

I watch the recent US shows and to me, there's nothing actually to fix with the dogs. It's all drama and hype and owner idiocy. The shows are all filler. The UK ones have been a bit better, I've been trying to ignore all his wishy washy crap and I'm pleased to see he's used treats and has been less physical himself. People do idolize him and I don't think much will change that with all the smoke and mirrors that the show uses so it's good that he's being kinder in his methods.

However I was again appalled that his answer to everything is to put a slip lead on right under the ears and choke the dog into submission! One young male owner seeing this done to his terriers said 'doesn't that hurt being tight around their neck like that?' CM just said 'no' and carried on with his waffle. I have seen VS come in and put owners in the same situation they have put their dog into to show them what it's really like. So why doesn't CM employ his own methods on himself and see how much it really hurts?

I am pleased to see that on a whole the UK owners seem to be less unquestioning and are concerned to see their dogs being manhandled around.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post

I did see him mess up on the former on one occasion.
A 'red zone' DA pitbull bitch had been at his centre for a while and the owner came to visit.CM took the pack ,including the pit bitch, for a walk with her owner.The mother of all fights broke out.

...:
I think I've seen a video of this on YOtube. If it's the one I think it is, the little bitch was basically pleading to NOT go back to the other dogs, and the owner understood but CM was telling her to listen to him and then when the fight broke out, he told the owner that it was her fault

It was actually very upsettting to watch, because it was almost like a dog fight was being set up for TV.

I suspect that particular dog was probably fear aggressive, poor soul.

And it was horrible that the bitch did not want to go back to the other dogs who fought with her, I found that heartbreaking, it was the worst sort of cruelty I think.

Of course, listen to CM and it all sounds quite reasonable ...

Wys
x
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes!!!!!!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pickalilly View Post
Yes!!!!!!!
Why am I not surprised?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pickalilly View Post
Yes!!!!!!!
You keep saying this
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 05:26 AM
I remember another pittie, perhaps it was the same one hi ho. The one with the young couple that their two pits started fighting all the sudden. The dog was fine with CM but the trouble always starts when the owners come back into the picture, I do believe what he says about energy effecting dogs.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
I remember another pittie, perhaps it was the same one hi ho. The one with the young couple that their two pits started fighting all the sudden. The dog was fine with CM but the trouble always starts when the owners come back into the picture, I do believe what he says about energy effecting dogs.
Ive seen a few shows where hes been "sh*tting" himself, not much god energy going on then!

Anyways, to me thats "animal sense" that all good animal people have anyway. So thats nothing new!
I actually dont believe he has it, but wants it & if he says it enough, he will get it & we will believe he has it! Its on the worse cases that he says it most, sometimes ,imo, to calm himself

Also dogs build up habits with their owners, I can take a agressive dog off its owner & its very good for me, im not "magic" , but
a. that dog has no history of agggressive behaviour WITH me, so sometimes does not fall into the habit t has with its owner.
b.i have no bad experinces or emotional link with that dog , so i am calmer, better heart rate etc, loose body language etc

Dogs are very often better with someone else who knows what they are doing, they dont have the baggage with that new person.
Page 22 of 32 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »