Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Lol no idea!!! just thought I'd mention!
Problem is, people think trapping is humane, is it? In reality? Caught in a metal cage that smells unfamiliar, possibly fearful, how long are they in the trap, and where are they released? Is that really humane, can that sort of trapping really be called humane? It means a fox doesn't die, but it doesn't mean, to me, it's humane.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Didn't say I agreed with it just threw it into the mix. Yes they would have to be checked frequently and yes thefox would need grasses etc in there, but they do have a use.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Didn't say I agreed with it just threw it into the mix. Yes they would have to be checked frequently and yes thefox would need grasses etc in there, but they do have a use.
legally anything used to trap vermin has to be checked once in any 24hrs, bit rough on the fox if its gone in 5 minutes after the last check.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2012, 08:20 PM
The hounds are kept to hunt the fox..... See where I am going with that? No fox hunting no pack of hounds.

My sons school managed to catch the foxes on their land with humane traps....
Humane ... I wonder if the fox thought it was humane
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont live in a suburban home i live in the middle of nowhere, where foxes are very much a problem. im from a farming background too, and have witnessed fox attacks on chickens, lambs being killed by them etc.. its how i have been brought up and as ive seen first hand what they are capable of, i dont feel guilty hunting them. just like i dont feel guilty about getting rid of rats, or other pests.
Are they a problem for YOU personally? I'm not talking about other people. How do they affect you?

I have either seen or heard of dogs killing chickens, lambs, sheep, deer, cats, other dogs and of course, people. I, like many other people, have seen first hand what dogs are capable of. I wonder how many foxes are responsible for killing those things in comparison to dogs?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
legally anything used to trap vermin has to be checked once in any 24hrs, bit rough on the fox if its gone in 5 minutes after the last check.
Especially if that "trap" happens to be a snare - one of my biggest hates!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Fortunately we dont have them in the UK anymore.
I'd say it's unfortunate we don't have them, they would put pressure on the fox population and save us the job of managing them.

The lack of apex predators, has helped to create this problem.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I'd say it's unfortunate we don't have them, they would put pressure on the fox population and save us the job of managing them.

The lack of apex predators, has helped to create this problem.
I quite agree,but wolves will never make an appearance in the UK again so management is left to man.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I quite agree,but wolves will never make an appearance in the UK again so management is left to man.
Or not. Why are you so determined to "manage" this animal? Do you believe ALL animals should be "managed" or do you have a list?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Most gamekeepers i know check them in the morning and evening as it doubles the chances of being successful.They do the same with the larsen traps too.
Page 22 of 27 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »