Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Originally Posted by Lionhound
The ridge on a ridgeback is not a deformity but came from native dogs which were breed to other hounds. All it is is hair growing in the opposite direction. Ridged or ridgeless bears no impact on the dogs health as I understand it. The culling of healthy pups is always wrong in my eyes

Have to say, that one fluxed me... as to how the ridge can be associated with spina biffita???

Surely the ridge is just the hair going the wrong way... the coat is not connected to the spinal cord... so how do the two connect
To be honest I don't think anyone really knows (You get DS reaching different depths, some are shallower and can be operated on to remove and others are deeper and reach the spinal cord. It is these ones which can be inoperable and cause suffering). RR do suffer from DS more than other dogs and RR have ridges, it may have been as simple as 2+2=5. Also if ridgeless dogs are culled then there would be no true numbers available for prevelence in ridged v ridgeless. There have been studies carried out showing that folic acid can make a difference but could it be that RR have a problem absorbing folic acid that is found naturately and the ridge is not involved
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Surely the ridge is just the hair going the wrong way... the coat is not connected to the spinal cord... so how do the two connect
The gene responsible for the ridge is also associated with dermoid sinus.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
The gene responsible for the ridge is also associated with dermoid sinus.
Could you point me in the direction of your info, cheers
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I felt it so sad that these people know the dogs have SERIOUS genetic faults but happily choose to breed them,this can only be for money.Shocking behaviour from the woman who puts down healthy ridg backs and absolutly disgusted that the KC allows this to continue.How can anyone buy a puppy with no fear after that!

I will say i am happy my breed are not under their control after seeing that programme who would want to be KC reg!
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Could you point me in the direction of your info, cheers
Only what was said in the program and what I've heard in the past. I'm not in the least bit surprised that breeders of RR are trying to claim it's a myth.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Only what was said in the program and what I've heard in the past. I'm not in the least bit surprised that breeders of RR are trying to claim it's a myth.
Researched then
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
thanks for that, sorry I was a bit slow on the uptake.
As you probably know, all mine are rescues too, so no argument from me now I understand where you're coming from
mongrel snob - I like it
That's ok Hali, I didn't make myself clear enough.

About the rescues being inundated with Pedigree dogs after the programme was shown - I find that very hard to believe after less than 24 hours. Have you got any evidence for this Jackbox?
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2008, 01:10 PM
DS has been found in Rhodesians without a ridge (http://tinyurl.com/5w3o9d). Pups who have DS shouldn't be bred from, obviously, although I'm willing to bet that some are. However, the ridge in both a Rhodesian and Thai is not something that's been in-bred into them. Oh and I'm not a breeder, I have a rescue TRDx.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Everyone keeps repeating that all this would be solved with compulsory health testing, but what about inbreeding/line-breeding? Also, compulsory health testing doesn't prevent over-exaggerated specimens being bred.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 01:38 PM
i recorded it and watched it again today ....like i said before its nothing we didn;t already now years ago the 2 dogs seem were extreme cases and as a cavalier lover i have to take some comfort in knowing many many other live normal lives

the person who had let her dog be used since being scanned isn;t alone there are very many more like her
I have not met Mrs Martin in the flesh but when her champion boy became ill and she found out via MRI she didn;t stay quiet she was open and honest sadly we don;t have more like her in the breed .

I just hope that anyone ready this who breeds or is thinking about breeding without knowing about the correct health test thinks twice
I hope if the programme stops one effected litter being born then its done its job for cavaliers
Page 21 of 65 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »