two americans who apparently sell them.

Clob
I did not understand that at all tilltails can you please explain, thanks
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2006, 01:48 PM
LuckyStar
However, I would like to make a request of the two gentlemen. You keep throwing around the word:' science' and insisting that other people's work and observations are not 'scientific'.

Clob
For such a long post I think you could have at least passed my posts times and pages to which you refer. Having said that no one has put any scientific studies on here that I remember seeing so pass the page and time of posting refs, which as a ‘scientist’ I would have thought you would have automatically included.

Having said that, I myself put one reference on here, Hallgren 1991, they would not be scientifically sound – but the results of the study showed 92% neck & cervical damage out of 400 dogs. I think of hand the period was 2 years research, the dogs were examined by a team of chiropractitioner and vets

LuckyStar.
Please provide details of studies which you have carried out to support all your claims with respect to the use of e-collars on dogs. Just quoting your experience of training dogs in the past isn't scientific enough.

Clob
What studies, are you talking about and who has quoted them? You are quite right, when people quote their experience of training dogs they are not speaking science.

I mean when Minihaha says she uses liver cake I personally would think that no rational person would ask Minihaha to give scientific evidence that the liver cake worked, when people post on the pain their dogs suffer when using things like halter head cages they don’t bring along a team of scientist to support their observations, if someone says to me or posts “I called my dog to me and he came”, no rational person would say “Do you have a scientific study done on it”.

I conclude:
I find the para above suggesting that when all dog owners of any kind give an account of their dogs behaviour e.g. “I called my dog and he came to me” and thinking dog owners go and get a scientific report on it cannot have been written by someone subject a rational uninterrupted thought pattern at the time it was written.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 01:58 PM
No I am asking you and your friend Lou to back up your claims with the studies that I mention since it is not the dog owners on here that keep referring to 'science' but yourselves.

There is no need for me to quote past posts since your (as in the two of you) referrals to the word 'science' has been sketchy to say the least.

Am I to conclude then that neither you nor Lou have actually carried out any proper studies? If not then I suggest it is foolish to continue to disparage other people's comments as being non-scientific.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by clob
I mean when Minihaha says she uses liver cake I personally would think that no rational person would ask Minihaha to give scientific that the liver cake worked,
...perhaps you can show we where I mention using liver cakes in this thread ? Oh dear Clob, more waffle to cover a lack of answers to Lucky Stars questions no doubt!

I don't actually use liver cakes as it happens
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
No I am asking you and your friend Lou to back up your claims with the studies that I mention since it is not the dog owners on here that keep referring to 'science' but yourselves.

There is no need for me to quote past posts since your (as in the two of you) referrals to the word 'science' has been sketchy to say the least.

Am I to conclude then that neither you nor Lou have actually carried out any proper studies? If not then I suggest it is foolish to continue to disparage other people's comments as being non-scientific.
Well said Luckystar
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Clob
tillytails
two americans who apparently sell them.

Clob
I did not understand that at all tilltails can you please explain, thanks
Where do you live ? Do you sell ecollars ?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:27 PM
[

Of wiziwigs lates bit of sillyness, (now that I know what kind and reason for food refusal she is quoting ) ..........Wiziwig thinks its better to take chance and let the dog pick up poison - and die what could be a drawn out excrutiating death.

Dogs owned by people like Wiziwig would simply live in a life threatening situation and have no defence mechanisms of any kind to what would be a reward stimulus (poisoned food), it was mentioned that "dogs dont choose", in this situation I choose life for my dogs, Wiziwig preferes death for theirs.

Excuse me?

You are being very rude and patronising not to mention arrogant.

Suggesting i choose death for my dog is pretty nasty - not that it bothers me because my dog is alive and well thankyou

I think it was interesting that i found something that unclllou has so far never admitted i dont think on any forum, that he does actually use the highest levels of pain (and at high levels they are painful, anyone who doubts this go and buy one that has levels from 0-100 and see just how painful that is).

It's quite simple - pet owners in the UK don't need to teach dogs food refusal, and the methods advised are barbaric, this is my opinion. It is not a matter of life or death, not in the UK and not for any properly protected and cared for dog anywhere.
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2006, 02:28 PM
LuckyStar

Clob
WHAT STUDIES? are you talking about??

LuckyStar

Clob
There certainly is because your suggesting studies were refered to – so Page and time of [posting?

LuckyStar

Clob
Ah, now I do understand what you mean by the italicised part of your comment, you mean stuff written by Wiziwg (at least I think that’s what you mean).

No its not foolish, Wiziwig knows nothing at all about e-collars, she has no knowledge or experience except something called ‘e-collars’ exist, so she makes things up which are false and then states non factual stuff as fact, thats opposite to those who use and understand them.

The consequence is, that it is quite legitimate to ask her to support it, which she knows she cannot. At least youre last line did give me some understanding of what you mean,I thnk, so, thanks for the clarification. Oh as you can see, Minnihaha cannot scientificaly support that her dog recalls without even liver cake.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:31 PM
As I said, time is short but, of the things she has simply made up heres two - e-collars are not banned either in Germany or Oz. In Oz in some states a vet has to give a prescription for anti barks and in one I think a prescription for trainers

- Wiziwig just makes things up and does not support them, so I dont interpret anything she says as a critism about me because I am not the one making anything up.

...............Im sure Wiziwig will come up with a couple of dozen 'cases'.

Any cases quoted are just made up unless verified by an e-specliaist.
Crikey you are the rude one today, is it OK if I am rude too?

Can't be bothered though

If you check back you will see that i already removed the countries because i couldn't remember who had done what, so removed them as i never post anything I'm not sure aobut, or if i do make a mistake, I remove it or explain.

So please check before you post in future.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Er, how do you make that out? Scientifically that does not stand up, no matter what you've been reading.

Negative reinforcement does not give a postive reinforcement. Yes the dog gets relief as it has avoided something unpleasant, but scientifically that isn't positive reinforcer. Dearie me
Clob, this thread is about the above as well as collars - if you don't clearly discuss this, then I will take it that you made a mistake in your understanding of OC and that you don't understand it clearly after all.[/QUOTE]

I'm taking it you don't want to discuss this further... <g>
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 30 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »