Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Be interesting to see how often it happens now they are left on.

rune
I think you'd be surprised, hence why people who work and show their dogs still want them docked. If there were relatively few tail injuries, there would be no need to campaign as people would be happy with tails on.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I think you'd be surprised, hence why people who work and show their dogs still want them docked. If there were relatively few tail injuries, there would be no need to campaign as people would be happy with tails on.
i dont believe that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i dont believe that
It does make sense though, if they dont sustain injuries with tails on, why bother taking them off? (In the field I mean)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Docking is done for all sorts of reasons, but I would hazard an educated guess that the main reason is pure aesthetic
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not one person will argue about castrating a dog for medical reasons, nor spaying a bitch, but if Harvey had 2 normal testicles, would you have had him operated on unnecessarily?
Hmm - there are two seperate issues here [from my point of view] and I can see where you are coming from. Just for the sake of it lets forget that he is a White Boxer - he is my avatar.

Of any male dog I have ever owned or known Harvey has the sweetest + kindest disposition, he is a true gentleman of the canine world + intelligent with it. He is just the loveliest boy so no there would not have been any real call for neutering if he had had two descended testes - if we didnt want to.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 03:04 AM
In think it is because there is a strong possibility people will lie about it (gasp---never!) and carry on docking dogs that are just for showing.

rune
About the fact that the dogs work.

Maybe some do but if you allow them to show you will get people who just show people cutting tails off "because they like the way the dog looks without it"

rune
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yeah you've lost me, explain again, purlease!

Show me some proof that there are gundogs out there that are docked, shown but not worked………
Where did I say that???

rune
You insinuate that there are show gundogs out there that are docked but not worked, I'd like some proof please……

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
[/I][/B]

I could show you springers that are docked, shown but not worked - but it is becoming less common. A friend of mine only shows and her springers are docked. She calls them show springers, not working and has always maintained they look better for showing with docked tails. The puppies she has bred were docked and they don't work either. Mind you I noticed that this latest round of pups have not been docked, so time and the regulations have probably caught up with her now
What's her kennel name please?

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Docking is done for all sorts of reasons, but I would hazard an educated guess that the main reason is pure aesthetic
Again, proof please………
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Hmm - there are two seperate issues here [from my point of view] and I can see where you are coming from. Just for the sake of it lets forget that he is a White Boxer - he is my avatar.

Of any male dog I have ever owned or known Harvey has the sweetest + kindest disposition, he is a true gentleman of the canine world + intelligent with it. He is just the loveliest boy so no there would not have been any real call for neutering if he had had two descended testes - if we didnt want to.
Thats my point, it wouldnt matter to me what colour he is, I wouldnt chop his nuts off "just in case." Im pleased to see you wouldnt either.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Thats my point, it wouldnt matter to me what colour he is, I wouldnt chop his nuts off "just in case." Im pleased to see you wouldnt either.
There is the ethics tho of him being White. I guess thats another thread tho....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
There is the ethics tho of him being White. I guess thats another thread tho....
If purposely bred for colour I totally disagree with it, but if he wasnt then I have no issue with it. Still doesnt mean he should have his bits off!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2010, 09:17 AM
If purposely bred for colour I totally disagree with it, but if he wasnt then I have no issue with it. Still doesnt mean he should have his bits off!
So do I, but you dont have to breed for white, most litters from "flashy" dogs will produce a couple of whites anyway.

I know Helen loves her whites, but she would never condone breeding from them to get "whites"
Page 21 of 29 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »